Midland UHF radios cf GME or Uniden?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 21:55
ThreadID: 101214 Views:5586 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just purchased a GME plug n play 5W UHF radio, which will give me the piece of mind of a stronger signal than 2 Watt, but not require any installation into my vehicle (just hope the magnetised aerial doesn't fly off!)
I was planning on picking up a single extra unit for communication in a recovery situation or maybe just communication if we separate. Was looking at GME or Uniden (2 watt, as it won't need to cover such big distances) and came across this Midland one on special for $79 (usually $199): MIDLAND G7 XT-A 80 CHANNEL UHF 3 WATT HANDHELD RADIOS TWIN PACK. It's 3 Watt rather than 2. Should I just grab it, or is midland markedly inferior?
Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 07:14

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 07:14
Hi Carolyn,

For the use you intend it (they?) for, it sounds like a bargain.
In fact the statement refers to a twin pack so you may get two of them:-)
Inferior or not, they should be ideal for the price.

One thing to consider, apart from price is the type of battery.
My 2 watt handheld uses AA batteries rather than the normal built-in rechargeable type.
This makes it easier to replace depleted batteries, rather than having to recharge them.
I used to use AA rechargeable ones but found they didn't hold their charge for long periods and dropped off quickly when they were running down.
With the "Energizer" type I found the battery life to be prolonged and I only needed one set of spares "just in case".

I assume your GME Radio has a rechargeable battery that requires a special charger, so you don't really need a second charger for the Midland unit, especially when it is for occasional use.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507240

Sponsored Links