Recommended camping spot between Melbourne and Broken Hill?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 21:16
ThreadID: 101377 Views:5617 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We plan to take 2 or 3 days to get from Melbourne to Broken Hill on the start of our 3 month trip. Can anyone recommend a good campsite (preferably not caravan park) somewhere roughly on route? I was thinking probably somewhere on the Murray, unless there is a great spot more directly on route. Not sure if we will make it as far as Mildura on the first day though.
Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter S (VIC) - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:25

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 22:25
Hi Hattah lakes national park would be a good overnight stop ...or the kulkyne forest if you want to be on the river...only 40minutes south of mildura. If you get as far as mildura then there are free camps along the river at psyche bend about 7 Kim's south of mildura. Safe travelling.
Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 507828

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:11

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:11
If you don't get as far as Hattah, Lascelles has a small community run campground with $10 per rig, fully serviced including six powered sites.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507832

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:44

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 23:44
we loved Menindee Lakes
AnswerID: 507835

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 06:50

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 06:50
Green Lake, south of Sea Lake..... Pink Lakes west of Ouyen and as you have suggested, anywhere on the Murray is great.
Gunbower State Forest near Koondrook, on the banks at the race course at Nyah, these are a couple of places we have stayed at and enjoyed.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507842

Reply By: garry r - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 07:49

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 07:49
If you got the time, Lake Hindmarsh has some fanastic camp sites or up through Pooncarrie to Menindee Lakes. Both these areas are good to camp and veg out. It"s only an hours drive from Menindee to Broken Hill and all bitumen road
AnswerID: 507843

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 08:38

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 08:38
I would like to add Mungo National Park just north east of Mildura. Cabins available if you wish. Don't know if there is a charge or booking requirement for camping as we had a night in the cabins.

Phil

Mungo National Park

AnswerID: 507845

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 16:49

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 16:49
when you come into Broken hill from Mildura you up at a roundabout you turn left from silver city hwy to bonanza street there is one BP garage on one side and another on same side you will be on Now you turn left into Bonanza to head into town you will come up past a huge wooden mine head ok just past that is a major road change when you are going straight on but you will have to give way to mine trucks who turn right infront of you. this is brand new and a little confusing so keep it in mind and I am sure you will be ok the main street is Argent street and well worth a walk down. enjoy your trip if you want any other information on Broken Hill ai am happy to help I live therelol
AnswerID: 507870

Reply By: Jim* - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 19:19

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 19:19
First stop - before Mildura - Pink Lakes or Hattah, as suggested..
Or take a detour to Rainbow and possibly Wyperfeld NP.

After Mildura you could try Fort Courage, a few km’s on the Broken hill side of Wentworth..
It’s about 18 km past Wentworth on the Renmark Road.

It’s run by the Wentworth Angling Club - a nice spot on the Murray.

Info here..
http://www.ourcommunity.com.au/directories/listing?id=49096

Jim
AnswerID: 507874

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:40

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:40
Carolyn,

I prefer the less travelled routes so I'd head due north from Melbourne to the closest point on the Murray at Echuca (home for me). After the airport, its a pleasant drive through Lancefield, Heathcote (grab a pie at Gaffney's), then the quiet towns of Elmore and Rochester. Perhaps lunch in Echuca (plenty of restaurants, the American Hotel or the Moama Bakery for best pies, pasties and apple/vanilla slices in Oz) before leaving 'civilisation'. Cross the border into NSW. There are many rivers with lovely camping spots throughout the Riverina - I favour a particular spot on the Niemur about 20 km south of Moulamein. But you've also got the Edward, the Wakool and even the Murray to explore. On day 2 push northwest to Balranald (you could make the small detour to Tooleybuc on the way). Night two could be at Lake Mungo, or bush camp in the mallee forests (plenty of firewood!) to the north and west of Balranald (before they clear it all!). You'll want to spend a few hours at Mungo. Night three at Menindee Lakes or Kinchega. Arrive Broken Hill before lunch day 4. If pressed for time you could make Menindee for night two. Bush camping along the roads this side of BH is pretty lean - its all fenced and no vegetation.

So much to see on your doorstep! Have a great trip.

Bob
AnswerID: 507944

Sponsored Links