Murray River House boats

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:03
ThreadID: 101610 Views:2178 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,From a Queenslander
Could anyone tell me how far by houseboat it would be down river from Renmark to Loxton. If time allows I may consider doing a trip partly along that section of river.Thanks in advance. Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mean4b - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:05

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:05
Hi Bill There's A Book Called River Murray Charts Renmark To Yarrawonga That You Can Buy From Map Shops. It Shows You All The Good Camping Spots Along The River Klm,Lock Locations Ex. Helps Me Out Alot On My House Boat Trips
AnswerID: 508652

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:56

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:56
Thanks mean4b for that info I will invest in that book fo sure.Cheers
FollowupID: 786270

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:08

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:08
In the general vicinity of 80 ks.
AnswerID: 508653

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:59

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:59
Thanks for your reply Notso that gives me a target to work on.Cheers
FollowupID: 786271

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:16

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:16
Hi Drifters and other readers,

The following link has apparently been derived from the Murray River PilotRiver Murray Distances - Wellington to Victorian Border

Just hope the link works - seems to have had a conniption when entering. If it doesn't , this was the first link that came up on Google.

Regards,

Charlie

AnswerID: 508655

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:05

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:05
Thanks Charlie,The link came up and showed all the distances along the Murray.Very helpful. Cheers
FollowupID: 786272

Reply By: Happy Frank - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 18:47

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 18:47
It's 9 or 10 hours for a houseboat, travelling time. But there is 2 locks which take time to travel through and have restricted opening hours. Ideally 3 days but could be done in 2.
AnswerID: 508682

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:10

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:10
Thanks Frank, all this info will be taken in so as I can work out a plan of attack.Cheers
FollowupID: 786273

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:21
My recommendation is not to plan too much.

A Houseboat holiday on the Murray is one one the most relaxing trips you will experience, unless you need to get from point A too point B in too much of a hurray.
If you try to go too far, all you will achieve is to burn fuel with little relaxation to take in the beauty of the scenery.

The best plan is to do a return trip. In this way you can judge when you need to head back to arrive on time, keeping in mind if the return trip is against the river flow, it will take a bit longer.

The houseboats I have been on have a "sweet spot" where a certain amount of engine revolutions will give the most economical cruising. A houseboat will generally travel at about 5 knots in "cruise mode" and you should plan to pick an appropriate spot to moor for the night, before it gets too late in the day. The vendor of the houseboat will tell you what the most economical revs are for the outboard engines. Anything higher will burn extra fuel for little gain in speed.

Take your time, take in the splendor of our greatest river and enjoy the experience.

With a good boat, the right people to share the trip with and some quality food and wine, you will have a five star holiday.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508692

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:39

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:39
G/day Bill,What you have suggested is exactly what I would like to do is just poke along and enjoy the change of scenery and pull up here and there and just relax.We did hire a boat for a couple of weeks at Mildura and went upstream away then back down to Wentworth then along the Darling for about 6 ks but come back as the winds got up to 30knots.Not good for us landlubber hillbillys but we survived it without getting into trouble with a big boat in a slightly more narrow river in high winds.It was a good experience in learning how to handle the boat.I just anchored where and when I could and waited till the wind calmed down then started the trip back to Mildura.Worked out to be a good trip.Thanks for your suggestions Bill I will just do that. Cheers.
FollowupID: 786274

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 08:01

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 08:01
Hi Sandman,

Couldn't agree more, but houseboat hirers shouldn't underestimate the extra time needed on an upstream run, as opposed to a downstream one. It may not look as though the river is running strongly but, just for interest's sake, toss a poly float or empty plastic bottle into the water and watch its downriver progress! Making certain you recover the object, of course.

Just one other thing Drifters, if I can make the comment without coming across as a cranky old goat, when you're having that great time on our great river, PLEASE remember there are other river users, even maybe some distance away on a clear night, who may not share your taste in music, either in genre or volume. One of the worst nights I ever experienced along the Murray was from a group of people who very kindly moored their houseboat overnight a few k's outside a small town (about 20 metres from a sign that said,"Strictly Private", clearly enough for me to read from the other side of the river without any artificial aids) and then proceeded to play their "music" until 1.00am. Definitely "Not happy, Jan!" Conversely, of course, we've experienced other occasions when nearby houseboats were quieter than mice and you truly couldn't ask for better neighbours.

That said, enjoy the experience and the tranquility which most of us seek in such places. You'll be so glad you did.

It's a truly great place.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 786280

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51
I hear you Charlie It's a pity we have those people around that have no regards for others.I am of the vintage variety [mid 70's] we are not into loud music or drinking parties, if we travel anywhere we go for piece and quite.The most noise my partner and I may make is to play a few songs with acoustic guitars which is not very often.I struck that 'Sweet Spot" you are talking about going upstream from Wentworth to Mildura where I was in a long straight with a 20knot head wind blowing with the run of the river so I kept as close as I could to the bank and the boat seemed to handle it OK without to much trouble. Thanks again Charlie,Cheers
FollowupID: 786310

Reply By: mean4b - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:55

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:55
Hey Bill If You Would Like A Copy Of The River Murray Charts Book I Can Post One To You With In A Week No Probs.
AnswerID: 508729

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:11

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:11
Thanks Mean4b I would appreciate that very much if you can do that and also let me know of any cost so I can reimburse you.Cheers
FollowupID: 786304

Reply By: mean4b - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 14:09

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 14:09
Hi Bill Just Sent You An Email With Some Details.
AnswerID: 508739

Reply By: Adam H - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:24

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:24
Hi drifters

My mum and dad live on the river for 6 months of the year then travel Australia the rest. depending on the size of the boat and the speed / fuel you want to burn it will take about 3 days doing about 3 to 4 hours driving a day which as other members have stated is plenty so you can take in the beauty of the river. best not to rush these things nothing better than to stop light a fire (when Permitted) and enjoy the serenity.
AnswerID: 508757

Follow Up By: Member - The Drifters - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 19:33

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 19:33
Hi Adam
Thanks for that piece of info.My plan is to do as you suggested to just take things easy and tie up where ever permitted and just enjoy whatever time we choose to do this trip.We are not hard to please as we like to just cruise till we find a nice place to stop for a meal and maybe a look around then move on even if it is only a short distance.That way we can leave the rest of the Murray for another time.Cheers
FollowupID: 786354

Sponsored Links