Any decent tracks around Woods Point?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 18:06
ThreadID: 10164 Views:4860 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I spent the Australia Day weekend in the bush just north of Walhalla, and although we found a very nice, secluded camp site, we were disappointed about how all the tracks in the area have been sanitised by bulldozing. Example - the Trig track, which used to be quite challenging, is now graded, with 12 or so switchbacks up what used to be the steep bit. All the tracks in the area are also littered with those erosion control humps as well, which might help erosion but become a bit painful after the 50th one. It's been a while since we've been up to this area, and we wonder if all the tracks right up to the northern end have been 'ruined' the same way. They may be safer for people with limited ability and limited (soft) vehicles - I just want something more. The track up to Mt Terrible used to be quite lumpy - is it still? Look forward to your feedback.....Russell S
Prado RV6
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 18:30

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 18:30
Sounds like they have improved fire access, more's the pity for us.
AnswerID: 44989

Follow Up By: Dredga01 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 21:04

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 21:04
having been to the Woods Point area many times I was surprised to hear about Trig Track being improved, my club always considered it the ultimate climb. Brewery Track is still a challenge, it's located just off the Goulburn River bridge in the centre of Woods Point. Also Abbots Creek (original Course) and Abbots Link Tracks will test you and your vehicle. Burnt Camp Track (watch the leeches!) has broken a few windscreens and other bits & pieces from our 4X4's over the years.
All the above tracks are virtually impossible after rain but are great fun for the extreme 4X4er. Also discovering and exploring many the mineshafts is a highlight of this historic goldfields area. If you require any further info contact me at the above address.
FollowupID: 307141

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 21:13

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 21:13
Woods point has some VERY extreme tracks, when wet, also some that are HARD when dry..

All depends on your car really..

The other is Walhalla area you mentioned, head along the Deep Creek Tracks 1,2,3,4, if its wet, dont go alone or be prepared for HEAPS of winchin.
AnswerID: 44999

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 23:44

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 23:44
Try Rudi Paoletti at Adventurer Maps.

He makes his own maps, adn sells them, of those 2 areas, they are BRILLIANT.
Rudi is also fantastic to talk to on the areas, he knows them VERY VERY well..

Anyway check the site, you will see the maps, books and more on the area ...
FollowupID: 307151

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 23:51

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 23:51
The reason for the grading was the fires.. No use saying easy for people with little ability, but when your drivin a loaded tanker with water and crew, you want easy.. been there done that!
FollowupID: 307152

Follow Up By: Member - Russell S - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 13:56

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 13:56
Yes, I know what you mean, and I know why they did it, but you probably know what I was getting at too... Thanks for the info. Will check out the site. There's plenty of tracks around for all standards, and I'm sure I'll find the right ones for me.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 307187

Sponsored Links