Mt Isa- Alice Springs

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:22
ThreadID: 101688 Views:1965 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Staying at Cloncurry soon, then onto MT Isa, Cammoweal, Tennant Creek down to Alice and to Ayres Rock, then going back over same road back up to Darwin and around. Any ideas on what to see and where to stay or NOT to stay. Travelling with big van and children.
Regards
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:03

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:03
Hi 410
Cloncurry, Mt Isa would have to be CVP's, unless you want to free camp out of the towns, make sure you spend a night or two at the water hole at Camooweal, through town, first turn to the left after the bridge.
Heading to Darwin, Banka Banka is a pleasant stay if fits in to the schedule, same with the Longreach Water Hole at Elliott, turn left after you cross the cattle grid leaving town, about 10ks of sandy track, but ok, the bird life is wonderful.
A night at the Daly Waters Pub is a must, best to get there in the am, if crowded free camp at the aerodrome.
Couple night at Edith Falls, great swimming, about 40ks north of Katherine.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508981

Follow Up By: 410 - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:10

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:10
Thank you
We will try them out.
FollowupID: 786609

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:05

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:05
Free campsites or serviced sites Richard?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509009

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:32

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:32
Richard,

After the 'Curry, you can stop at Fountain Springs(toilets) though only about 60kms from Cloncurry. Park the 'van here, and slip up, about 5k, to Mary Kathleen and view the old town site, and the mine.

Argyllia 'Van Park on the edge of Isa seems okay.Check out "Outback @ Isa" for tourist stuff, and the underground mine. Not sure of kids access to the mine???

World War II site, 55k west of Isa, has shelter sheds, and toilets, and lots of room to park big vans. Bit of info, and photos of construction of Barkly H'way during the war years here too.

Cneck out the Camooweal Caves south of town, worth a look. They are "sink holes" in the limestone, and easily accessed from parking area. Van parks at the pub and BP roadhouse. Fill up with fuel here!!!!

Camping at Avon Downs, opposite the police stn, has toilet too. West of Soudan stn, and about 5 ks short of the old Barrys Caves roadhouse site, there is a track into Barrys Caves, 2 dome shaped hills on the south of the highway. If you were interested to see them, the caves that is, there is a large parking bay just past the track.

Barkly Homestead has a leafy 'van park, with pool, and clean amenities. People complain that prices are high here, but there is a large freight component on everything they sell. There is also camping at Wonarah Bore, 40k east of Barkly Homestead, but no toilets.

More camping 54k west of B/H'stead, at Frewena, but unsure about toilets here. Further on, maybe 100ks, there is a campsite on left, but unsure of toilets there too.

3-Ways is a good spot, with van park behind the roadhouse where truck noises, at night, are reduced somewhat.Tennant Creek depressed me, after living near there in the '70's, so I wouldn't like to stop there again. But there's plenty to see around there, and others don't feel the same about it, as I do.

Enjoy your trip,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509055

Follow Up By: 410 - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:22

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:22
Hi Bob
Sorry for the delay in thanking you for the info. We will give them a go.
Richard
FollowupID: 786807

Sponsored Links