new Pioneer camper trailer range - anyone seen them?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:09
ThreadID: 101700 Views:2976 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hoping you might have seen the 2013 range of Pioneer campers, unfortunately they are not at the shows near us. The new website photos are poor quality and not a good overview. What is your impression of the new design and look compared to the old range? We were keen on the Argyle SE, had viewed it in Melb but then the range was changed. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:36

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:36
They look to be very well constructed & a big improvement on the previous models.
We had an Argyle & loved it!

AnswerID: 509025

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:13

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:13
The Cook and I had an Argyle for 5 years until about 18 months ago. Good camper which had a few faults but nothing serious. The factory was not far from where we lived so if we wanted anything we just popped in to see the owner (Robin) and he was always helpful.
Since they were taken over and moved to Melbourne I haven't had much to do with them but a bloke I know had trouble with his suspension (not sure which model) but the agent in Perth shipped it to Melbourne where it was fixed and shipped back at no cost to them.
Bit of a contrast to the treatment we've received from a Melbourne van manufacturer who won't even talk to us!
AlanH.
FollowupID: 786703

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:56

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:56
My only issue with the Pioneer was that it was way oversprung, like most campers on the market today. I changed the coils for lighter rated ones & it was much, much better.

I don't understand why manufacturers are obsessed with 'heavy duty, they know the ATM & should spring the trailer accordingly, as I said to Pioneer, the trailer will never be going to loaded with wet crushed rock or brickies sand, until the springs compress or flex the shock absorbers get a free ride & the only suspension is in the tyre walls!

FollowupID: 786707

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:18

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:18
I have to agree Shaker, it would bounce a lot if towed over rough ground.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 786712

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 22:59

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 22:59
JBBK
I have had a Pioneer Argyle SE for the past 7 years and it has done approx. 100000 Kms with virtually no problems.Igo away every year for 3-4 months and it has seen some serious offroad and I certainly don't believe it is over sprung.The big difference in the new Pioneer is that it has a much improved canvas section and a fairly big change to the gullying and storage boxes which I am not sure I like.The Argyle now has a stainless water tank instead of plastic and have changed that stupid plastic tap on the sink which I changed after my first trip.There are also led reading lights and a few cosmetic changes but all in all I will be keeping mine and Iam sure the new ones are very well built and are a very good consideration in the price range.
AnswerID: 509102

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 23:51

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 23:51
The manufacturers of the independent suspension told Robin that he was ordering the wrong coil springs, that is who I got both the advice & the lighter springs from!

FollowupID: 786790

Follow Up By: JBBK - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 20:27
Many thanks to you all for very helpful replies. We had read of others experiences with significant quality / after sales issues that seemed related to the previous manufacturer and Perth dealership. But there are also good experiences with them as you say. We havent seen enough recent reports to remove our doubt entirely the quality issues have been resolved with the move to Melb. While the Melb dealer has tried to give us as much info as possible he only has limited info from the manufacturer to date and has waited a fair while to get one into the show room. So we remain concerned as to whether Pioneer have their act together with the new model. Sounds like we should check the new design in the flesh to be sure its right for us. We are weighing up whether its worth pursuing. Others seriously in the running are a KK (similar, a bit more $ but might be peace of mind) or the Conqueror UEV440 (different concept). Going to the Sydney show soon.
Rgds to all. JBBK (counting down the years weeks and days to retirement ....)
FollowupID: 786870

Sponsored Links