Cameron Corner in a kombi camper?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 00:31
ThreadID: 101780 Views:2839 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Is the road to Cameron Corner okay for an old 2WD kombi camper or should I catch a ride out from Tibooburra with some friendly locals or tourists?
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 05:55

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 05:55
Yep, your Kombi will love it. I've done it in a 1969 Corolla.
AnswerID: 509359

Reply By: jo b1 - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:51

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:51
There isn't a place on this planet a Kombi hasn't been, get the music going...blow a few reefers and you'll be right !
J
AnswerID: 509362

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:42

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:42
In 2005 about 6 Kombis crossed the Simpson Desert, including Big Red!

AnswerID: 509370

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:57

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:57
Cool :)
Who is Big Red? Is Big Red still on the road?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787216

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 16:04

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 16:04
Doh! Big Red - a place not a pet name for a kombi
Had to think about that
hahaha

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787241

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:11

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:11
I'd be doing it solo (cos that's how I roll) and haven't ventured too far off sealed roads yet.

I took Reggie (my kombi) across Barrington Tops between Scone and Gloucester earlier this year but 2 days later she rolled into the mechanics on the back of a truck to get a new engine :( That was our first big trip together.

Looking at google Earth I see a sand patch across the track near Fort Grey and wonder if this is still there or if it is worn enough to follow an easy track over it.

Do many people drive out there? If I get stuck is it probable that a passing 4WDriver can help out or will I most likely need to use the sat phone for a recovery vehicle from Tibooburra or Cameron Corner?

Should I carry 2 spare wheels?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 509374

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:29

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:29
You will be fine in the combi van. Just take your time & enjoy.

That's unless it rains! If it does it doesn't matter what you drive you will be all over the road even in a 4WD.

The conditions can change from year to year so sand drifts come & go. If you come to small sand patches the key is to keep up your momentum. Of course for longer runs in sand lower tyre pressures are the go & make sure you have a pump to re-inflate afterwards. Just a good quality hand or foot pump will do.

2 spares may be a good idea but lots of travellers around these days to help out if need be. Best to be as self sufficient as you can though.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 787221

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:01

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:01
Hi Terra,

Provided the weather is dry you will be fine. We were out there in damp weather in 2011 - see our blog here. While we were going out to Fort Grey a 2wd sedan went past - it was a young couple going to work at Cameron Corner and we met them there the next day.

What you saw on Google earth is most likely a big claypan that the road goes across. There is a picture of it in the blog. Its hard packed and smooth but could be very different if wet.

One thing to be careful about is to keep well to the left where the road rollercoasters over some sand dunes - you dont want to meet someone suddently on the crest. Also in places some of the clay topping of the road is broken on the top of the dunes leaving nasty holes full of bulldust - you dont want to drop a wheel into those holes if yo have any speed up.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787225

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:02

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:02
Hi combi man
Just got back from the corner today. Great trip. You will have no trouble with your car going through to the corner. We drove from Tibooburra to the corner on Wednesday using Middle Road to fort grey. Narrow stoney road but perfectly safe. Didn't see one other vehicle til just before the corner. They were grading the Sandy bits either side of the clay pan you can see on google earth this week. Not soft sand so easy to pass.
As stated above, the most dangerous area is the last 20 k when you get back on the Cameron corner road and into the dunes. Keep well left because some don't! Watch out for the kangaroos. We covered nearly 2000ks to get to the corner, our final destination, and came nowhere near a roo until 2 k from the gate. 2 large mobs decided they preferred the opposite side of the road as we passed. Roos all round us and just clipped 1 with rear bumper!
Have a great trip and take some fly protection.!!!!!

Graeme
FollowupID: 787287

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:05

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:05
Sorry didnt answer questions! You will need sat phone or UHF for rescue if required. Keep your speed down and likelihood of puncture is minimal but it is very stoney in parts

Graeme
FollowupID: 787288

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:20

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:20
The road is subject to closure when it does get a bit wet out this way just as you leave Broken hill you will come across a huge road sign indicating the road conditions the sign will say if the road is open or closed to road users [img][URL=http://s337.photobucket.com/user/jamsons_outback_images/media/openroad_zpsd4f8a8e2.jpg.html]
[/URL[/img]

If the sign says road closed do not enter if you break down or need any help you will not get any we get a few who ignore the sign and just drive on the road is in good condition this week
AnswerID: 509378

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:39

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:39
I seem to recall that Kombi's and old Beetles aren't too bad on sand because the motor is on top of the rear wheels. Let a bit of air out of the tyres if it gets stuck (till the tyres start to bag out a bit). Put the air back in when you can though. I have some fond memories of Kombi vans. :-)
AnswerID: 509379

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 14:39

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 14:39
This is great news everyone! Thanks for so much good advice and encouragement :)

I'm getting excited and plan to do the trip this winter, making it a big round trip covering about 300-350km per day over 2 weeks (approx 4500kms) from Port Macquarie via Dorrigo, Armidale, Glen Innes, Walgett (Lightning Ridge), Bourke, White Cliffs (Paroo Darling NP), Wilcannia, Hillston (Willandra NP, Nombinnie NR, Yathong NR), Lake Cargelligo, Dubbo, Gloucester (Barrington Tops NP) and back to Port Macquarie.

It is good having a kombi camper to get away. Being off my feet and waiting for surgery is annoying but at least I can still drive and enjoy an adventure while I wait. This will be an awesome adventure :D

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 509382

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:10

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:10
Hi again. Don't bother with Wilcannia. When we went through last weekend it was feeling a little uneasy. Lots of gang of people sitting around drinking and being generally rowdy. And that was at 11am. When we stopped to decide where next we were almost surrounded by a few. The Mrs was clear in her decision to move on out! Everything other than the roadhouse and bottle shop was closed or boarded up.
Graeme
FollowupID: 787289

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 14:44

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 14:44
I phoned Cameron Corner and the guy who answered the phone said "If you can get to Tibooburra you can get to Cameron Corner" :)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 509383

Follow Up By: allein m - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 15:59

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 15:59
I forgot to say we are having a little problem with roos and emus there are a lot about the part of the country roos are more a nighttime problem but dam emus are all over the place during the day and if you hit one they do a lot of damage
FollowupID: 787240

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 16:05

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 16:05
So long as they don't jump at me they'll be safe. I'll be going so slow they'll be overtaking :D

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787242

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:55

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 00:55
Hi Terra'Mer, I've been following your story & glad you're getting to do something fun while waiting for your op.

I went that way last October on my way to Innaminka & loved the drive. You won't have any problems with the road (as long as no rain) as others have said. Just be patient with the corrugations & try not to hit any big bumps / holes with any speed. Have lunch & a chat at Camerons Corner.

Have a great time.
FollowupID: 787293

Sponsored Links