Mt Augustus

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 05:40
ThreadID: 101798 Views:2277 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone been to Mt Augustus recently. Thinking of going this year either on the way up to Exmouth or the way home. Will be towing our little off road coromal 401 which has been through Murchison to the Kennedy ranges but we never made to the rock. Ended up going to Millstream and Karijini etc instead because it had been dry for so long at the time. Anyone know what the camping facilties are like out there and maybe suggest and interesting route to take.
Cheers Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: J.T. - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:01

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:01
Hi Ive been to Exmouth from Perth a few times and the bitumen is quite good.

I like to let my tyres down to 16psi to take out any bumps in the road.

I really find a casual stop at Carnarvon helps with my concentration and I often get a pie and sauce to eat and wash it down with an Iced Coffee.

Enjoy your trip hope this helps.
AnswerID: 509469

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:52

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:52
Hi J T?
Have you always had trouble reading.
FollowupID: 787356

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:43

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:43
Not been there Graeme but I recall quite a few posts about Mt Augustus on here in recent years. Try a google search.
AnswerID: 509472

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 15:04

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 15:04
Hi Bazooka.
Does not seem to be much recent stuff. The resort is open again but would like to chat to someone who has been there as a lot of old stuff was very negative. Cobra station is close and had good reports about that. Gasgoyne junction suffered a lot of damage in the floods a couple of years ago and i think fuel is no longer availible there. Last trip in that area we travelled through murchison to the kennedys and decided not to go to mt augustus because of the prolonged dry spell.
Cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 787357

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 19:37

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 19:37
Graeme
Can recommend Cobra. Jim is a great host and we had a couple of good nights sharing a few drinks and even managed to get my other half to partake in a sing song.
It was close enough to the rock for us to use as our base. Jim also took us on a little drive round and showed us some lesser known spots.
Roads were ok when we were there. As always......just drive to the conditions.
Have a great trip.
FollowupID: 787380

Reply By: J.T. - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:59

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:59
Hi Graham

thanks for your response.

I,m 88 years old this June so my eyes and brain are fading a bit. I do all my trips with my red cloud kelpie and me.

I,m just doing as manytrips as I can before I get too old. My old Landy is holding up better than me.

I wish you all the best with your travels.I might see you out there on your travels.
AnswerID: 509473

Reply By: J.T. - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 15:07

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 15:07
Hi Graeme

Just wondering what significance a dry spell has for you to not visit an area?

Is it the lack of wild flowers?
AnswerID: 509474

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 18:54

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 18:54
Hi Graeme I was out that way twice last year, latest was September. The roads are always well maintained and very suitable for vans. As per usual drive to the conditions watch out for dips and the drainage spill ways on the side of the road. Rain will always change the dynamics of the road. Closer to you departure date give the Gascoyne Junction Shire a call and check if still suitable for you.

Great country out that way. Do yourself a favour & do at least the East side of the Kennedy Range as well while in the general area.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509487

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 18:57

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 18:57
Graeme just had a read of one of your replies above. Fuel was available at the Shire office, and, I believe the service station is being rebuilt?

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787373

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:09

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:09
Hi Graeme

I was out there last year. Went up from Gasgoyne Junction and then through to Meekatharra afterwards. Roads where good for gravel. Some grading at the time on the Meeka side.

Cobra Station is open but the camp grounds looked a bit like an empty gravel pit. Few trees and poor looking. And about 50km from the rock.

Mt Augustus station which is really close and you can sit at camp with a beer and look at the rock has done a great job with their facilities. Spread out over quite an area with grass over a lot of it amongst trees. Multiple shower facilities with really good pressure.

I will post pics soon as I can find them.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 509521

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:02

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:02
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/64[/vimeo]
Cobra Caravan park

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/64[/vimeo]
Mt Augustus caravan park

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787423

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:10

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:10
Try again

Cobra Station caravan park

Mt Augustus caravan park

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787424

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:02

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:02
Thanks guys bit of contrast there.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 787601

Reply By: Pebble - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 21:31

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 21:31
We went for a trip to Mount Augustus last year (Sept / Oct). From Nannup WA up the centre (Meekatharra) across to Mount Augustus then to Exmouth and back down the coast.
We stayed 3 days at Mount Augustus, I must say it was probably the best priced camping (at a caravan park per se) for the whole trip, ha ha I think it was cheaper to go on a powered site for that number of days than it was to go on unpowered!
When we were there it was a bit of a heat wave but found the facilities and everything to be good, the river nearby didn't look very good for a swim that time of year though, unlike some 10yrs prior when we passed through the first time.
I've got to say they were also very helpful with some bits that my Husband needed to fix a few issues on our trailer. The shop open / close times were very rigid though.
I'd be more than happy to go there again.
AnswerID: 509560

Sponsored Links