hilux 2.7 petrol

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:21
ThreadID: 10180 Views:12431 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought a 99 hilux dual cab 4x4 2.7 petrol and I seem to hear and get comments like gutless etc. Myself I reckon for a 4 cylinder petrol vehicle it seems to have heaps and towing or carting weight doesn't seem to affect it at all.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why all this bad press?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:37

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:37
gday jonto.
i think a lot of people are refering to the 2.4-2.8 diesal hilux.
cheersdue to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
AnswerID: 45053

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:52

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:52
mate I've got a 2000 xcab 2.7 and i wouldnt say it's gutless.... but it's definitely not a race car (still not as bad as the diseasels)

it's like a lot of 4 cylinders - the power is there but you gotta rev the ring out of it to get it... i think peak torque for the 2.7 is about 4grand. if you don't mind flogging it there's power to be had :)

i also find i have to run mine on PULP or it runs rough as guts at low revs

my previous daily driver was a vtec honda that went like a shower of sh|t... i guess your outlook depends a lot on your expectations

cheers,

KG
Are you stoned or stupid?
AnswerID: 45055

Reply By: carazy merredin wa - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:52

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:52
We have a 2.7L 2x4 for a work run a bout vehicle & it smokes the tyres & goes like a top fuel dragster! Fuel economy is ordinary-but so is a top fuel dragseter, We have had no problems whats so ever & only do a service every 10k!
AnswerID: 45056

Reply By: Mixo - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 17:07

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 17:07
As I recall, the earlier 2.4/8 diesels had as low as 40 something kilowatts - that would have been a real trial (but I know people who have just about been everywhere in one of those)....overtaking is the issue I guess. Re the diesel versus petrol debate ... having driven both while refusing to get animated or passionate about either, it seems to me that in the diesel you get all of the available KWatts but in a petrol you only get about 3 quarters of them , unless you run it up to 5-6000 rpm (and who does ?). Therefore, petrols have a lot more nominal power than diesel, but some of it is rarely used - the gap is narrower than seems at face value. To toss another cat in, diesels don't have any more power than their nominal KW rating - forget the "big torque gives you more power" guff. Kwatts are Kwatts !The car, the boat, the camper, the radios - is that all there is to life ?
AnswerID: 45057

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 17:55

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 17:55
Hi there,

I have a 2001 xtra cab 4x4 with the 2.7L and i think it goes quite well. I agree with what a few of the other guys have said with power being there in the higher rev range. I got back from a trip down to Melbourne last week from queensland and it was my first long trip with this vehicle. I found on the way down on the Newell sitting on 110-115km/h it was very thirsty and as previously sad - you really needed to be up around 4 grand to get any real good power for overtaking. With the standard 72 litre tank i was only getting between 480 and 500klm per tank. I believe this was due to sitting on 110-115klm/h and the revs up so high. We did have a bit of weight in the canopy and i agree with you jonto - it didnt affect it the ride but as with all 4 cylinder cars you notice it going up hills!! On the way home (the coast road) we travelled a bit slower - 100-105km/h and really noiticed the difference in fuel consuption. We were getting around 520-530km per tank on the way home. This was all using normal unleaded fuel. I think the only downside is that it really feels like it needs another gear when travelling at the higher speed, but overall i am very happy with the vehicle.

As for the bad press jonto - i would say that some people are probably comparing it to bigger vehicles with bigger engines. For its class, i believe and agree with you that it is up there with best - if not - it is the best!!!

Cheers
Michael (Gold Coast)
AnswerID: 45061

Reply By: B3 - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:15

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:15
Ha! You mock the 2.4 diesel??!!! I hauled a 1700kg boat/trailer combination from Brisbane to Sydney with mine recently. And minus the trailer it goes anywhere, albeit a bit slower than the larger guzzlers....give me economy over power any day! Anyhows I think it is about 60kW rather than 40 from memory.... (Still rather P#SS poor, I know!!)
AnswerID: 45505

Sponsored Links