NSW round trip:)

Submitted: Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 17:44
ThreadID: 101819 Views:2400 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gudday all!
first time using this site - have been a member for a while, thought id give it a go??
we will be touring the outback NSW for the first time in a few weeks, as have seen a lot of the east coast and always wanted to see some red dirt -the missus and I will be visiting the in laws in Tamworth and decided to travel due west, destination Cameron Corner.
We are interested in relic hunting, metal detecting(gold:) and was hoping people on this site may have a few suggestions on where to stay or check out along the way, old homesteads, gold fields any good water holes etc etc, Tamworth - Bourke - south gate (silver city hwy) - Cameron Corner - White Cliffs - Cobar- Dubbo.
it will be the 1st outback touring trip the we are planning and want to take in as much as possible.
any info would be great
Cheers in advance
Toby "n" Kerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 21:47

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 21:47
Hi Toby,

My advise is to google the area your heading to (EO will have heaps of ideas as) and if your going thru Tilpa or Louth spend a night and have a drink at the pub, Bonza people in Gods country.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 509561

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 15:35

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 15:35
G'day Toby and kerry,

it's sounds like you won't be camping.

If you are camping there are heaps of choices. If not, I would suggest you work out how far you want to drive each day.

If you have a fair bit of time, from Tamworth head up through Manilla, Barraba, Bingara, Warialda to Moree. That would be a good days drive there are heaps of accommodation at Moree.

From Moree head to Collarenebri and then onto Lightning Ridge. If you have a fourby you can go the backroad from Colli, if not head through to the Castlereagh Hwy and up to LR. You could spend a day or two looking around here because there is so much to see.

Head back to Walgett, then west to Brewarrina and Bourke. Both of these places have plenty of history and you could spend a day looking around Bourke and the Darling River.

From Bourke, head towards Wanaaring and onto Tibooburra. This is a big old dirt road. It's sometimes rough in spots but it's a great drive. Check at Bourke if you're not sure. This is getting into remote area and it would pay to carry extra water and be aware of the range of your fuel tank. Good tyres are a must or you'll be putting your spare to good use. Drop your tyre pressures a bit on the dirt roads but make sure you put them back up when you have to get back to bitumen running.

At Tibooburra check with National Parks, Police or the pubs for road conditions. Tibooburra has two pubs and a motel offering accommodation.
From here you can head off to check out the Sturt NP on the way to Cameron Corner. There are rooms to stay in at Cameron Corner and to stay there would give you a chance to really check out the area and soak up the character of the area and it's people.

Drive back to Tibooburra through the jump up country then head towards Broken Hill. Broken Hill has so much to see and do. Visit the mine , watch the sun set at the sculpture symposium, visit Silverton and go down and old silver mine. There are self guided tours to do and grand old buildings to admire and then there are the art galleries. It's a great town.

While you're out there it would be an idea to pop down to Menindee to see the lakes with heaps of water in them. It's a sight to behold for sure. The roads fro Menindee to Wilcannia or Ivanhoe are a good drive but the roads can be rough. It might be better to backtrack to Broken Hill and then head east through Cobar, Nyngan and Dubbo.

Depending on where you live will determine which way you go from here.

I hope that gives you a few ideas.
If you need any more help, give us a cooee.

Steve
AnswerID: 509754

Follow Up By: madbunyip - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 07:06

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 07:06
Thanks for the info, thats great exactly what I was looking for.
I am planning on both camping and cabins/pubs we will have all the gear to comfortabley camp for a few nights if needed, also a well set up 4x4 and we are seasoned off roaders so the back tracks will be the sort of driving were aiming for, a route has been planned but will be also planning to divert and check out as much as possible so the suggestions here will be explored - once again thanks fo the info
Cheers Toby
FollowupID: 787796

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:41

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:41
G'day Toby,

it surprises how many people dream of the big trip to discover all the other States, when there's so much to see in NSW.

What I described is a pretty good loop but there's heaps more through the middle, along the Darling and down south. Too much to see......

Have fun,
Steve
FollowupID: 787896

Sponsored Links