Van and Mauri accident today

Submitted: Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 21:53
ThreadID: 101824 Views:3782 Replies:12 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Well did a short shake down trip with the new vehicle and van coupled up.

On the way down we came across a b-double that had run off the road and how the shinny side was still pointing toward the heavens I will never know. I think the driver had a connection with his god.

On the way back same, same. Don't know if anyone was hurt, but this short section of the Bruce has claimed that many lives I can't believe it

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 22:12
Hmmm..definitely looks like a Highway black spot to me.
AnswerID: 509567

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:21

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:21
How can you make the statement"definitely looks like a highway black spot" based on that crash cam footage puzzles me. It appears to be a fairly decent stretch of road, wide, no obvious potholes or surface irregularities, in fact as far as the Bruce Track goes I reckon it would be one of the better sections. I get the 'jimmy brits' when people immediately look for an excuse when there is a mishap on the road. Sometimes there is reasonable cause to blame the road but surely the other factors must be given air time as well. One very important factor in everything which happens when driving is 'operator error'. If any driver, myself included, ever claims to not be guilty of this then they want to wake up to themselves. I don't lay claim to being perfect but in 54 years of driving I have never been involved in an incident which was attributable to my driving. I guess in all that time I've never come across a highway black spot. Cheers.
FollowupID: 787484

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:34

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:34
Actually it is a notorious stretch of the highway.

That stretch of road between Clairview and Camilla have claimed many lives.

There was a stretch of highway north of here between Bloomsbury and Yalboroo that was the same. They resurfaced it and the deaths stopped. Don't know why as the road always seemed reasonable to me but the accidents stopped.
FollowupID: 787485

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:38

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:38
Perhaps Black Spots have something to do with the same type of person making the same type of mistakes in the same spot.

Not the fault of the road at all, but change the road surface and the dills are kept alert.

Be alert, your country needs LERTS.

Most accidents are caused by humans not by the road or the vehicle.
If it was the road then only a few would not crash and a really bad road would claim everyone with no survivors.

We have checks on vehicles, we have checks on the road surface but no checks on the humans.
Humans can't be at fault, it must be something else.
FollowupID: 787499

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:15

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:15
Hey Dingojim the reason I said it looked like a black spot was because my browser didn't pick up the pic/video...all it shows is a black square. I haven't bothered figuring out why, I'm using google chrome on win7 system. I thought maybe others were having the same problem? Cheers Witi.
FollowupID: 787511

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 22:12
Fair sized van, any idea what was towing it?
AnswerID: 509568

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:36

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:36
No idea as I was watching the road. You can see the vehicle in the clip.
FollowupID: 787486

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 23:06

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 23:06
What part of the Bruce Hwy was that, RA?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509571

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:39

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:39
Clairview turnoff. This section has claimed many lives. Especially backpackers and tourists.
FollowupID: 787487

Reply By: Diamantina Drover - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 00:00
Unfortunately you see all too much of that. Am very interested to know what the camera was that you used because I am looking at buying one. I gather it is a windscreen mounted monitoring type.

Cheers, Toby.
AnswerID: 509573

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:42

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:42
Toby,
it is a DVR-027. Here is a review link.
DVR-027
FollowupID: 787488

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:18

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:18
hi rockape
thanks for the camera info its a much better video production than the navig8r crash-cam camera $70 that I had for a short time until it was stolen in a smash-grab raid on my car (and before someone tells me not to leave a camera or bracket on the dash or window) mine was hidden away but they still found it
the clarity of the dvr-027-720p is 50% better and in the detail you supplied
they say that model dvr-207 is better again
proof of the pie is always in the eating per say
cheers
FollowupID: 787505

Follow Up By: Diamantina Drover - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:21

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:21
Thanks Rockape,
Will look into it before my next big trip in 5 weeks as I would like to have one onboard. You never know what is around the corner.

Cheers, Toby.
FollowupID: 787514

Reply By: raincloud - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 08:12

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 08:12
shinny side up...is that the area between the kneey and ankley?
AnswerID: 509585

Reply By: Member - john y - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:28

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:28
G'day Rockape, Any idea what the tow vehicle was?. Regards john y.
I will go anywhere as long as it's forward

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509594

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 14:29

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 14:29
John,
I don't know but you can see it in the clip if you stop the video
FollowupID: 787531

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 15:03

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 15:03
Maybe a Pajero?
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 787540

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:41

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:41
I do not know the area but after slowing that video down several times and looking at the road on google Earth I am fairly confident that the accident shown in the clip was of human origin. The road looks good. No bumps, gravel or obvious surface damage. I won't attempt to actually map the accident.

Not the road but human error and seeing that it is close to the coast and beaches tempts me to say that the reason the deaths are happening at that spot is the there is too much "in holiday mode" driving going on.

Blowed if I can see any other reason for it. Unless someone fell asleep and suddenly realise that they had to turn right. Must have been an "interesting" eight wheel slide though.

But I can be wrong.

Good point so far is that we haven't had a report of any injuries.

Phil
AnswerID: 509595

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:18

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:18
Phil,
What happens on that part of the highway is fatigue or inattention. They have many head on crashes and single vehicle accidents. The road is ok and it is 110 kph about 5 k south.

Did you see that the van top has parted company with the chassis. Could be one of the vehicles was turning.

Just had a look in the paper and it said one lady had minor injuries.
FollowupID: 787512

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:12

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:12
I was thinking along those lines but stopped short.

Why do we do it. It's all over the TV yet people still stuff up.

Lucky about the minor injuries. That's good.

Phil
FollowupID: 787524

Reply By: JimDi - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:35

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:35
Hello Rockape,
A lot of state and federal politicians are now talking Bruce highway improvements. I am sure I wont see that in my time.

I can still vaguely remember driving from Townsville to Sydney in 1970 with a mate and the "Sydney to Brisbane" upgrade of the Pacific highway had reached "Brooklyn" just a few K's north of Sydney. It still has a lot of work to be done on it. Bruce highway "improvements" from Brisbane are now just short of Gympie.

Might see an improvement in say 2053? Talk to you then maybe???
Regards
Jim
AnswerID: 509596

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:30

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:30
Jim,
Remember all the one lane bridges in those years and the Bruce from Rocky to Mackay was known as the Crystal highway because of all the broken windscreens.
Bit of bitumen down the middle and some of it was WW2 concrete.

They have been doing a lot of work on it and building short overtaking lanes.

Every election it gets talked into a 4 lane freeway. Then after the election, it shrinks back to 2 lanes that flood. I think all the hot air must escape and that is why it shrinks.

FollowupID: 787517

Reply By: JimDi - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:11

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:11
Yes I do remember some of it. I know we had a great trip and most of the towns etc have changed hugely since. But I still love travelling up there brings back heaps of memories of the past and recent past.

In 2011 we were towing a van north towards Proserpine and we got caught behind a couple of slow moving sedans. Did not bother me but we all copped a blast from a few truckies who objected to being slowed down. I gave it back to them and advised them to seek a more satisfying career.

The pity of it was that it was not their fault nor was it my fault. The truth of it was that there was just too few overtaking lanes where they could build up sufficient speed, but in their frustration they just vented over the airwaves at a caravanner.

Anyway by the time its all fixed RA you will probably be living in the state of North Queensland and barracking for North Queensland Cowboys at the State Of Origin series.
The only other team competing will be the state of South Queensland because NSW will have either, spat the dummy, lost interest or stayed home to sulk.
Jim

AnswerID: 509604

Reply By: Wheretonext - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 21:42

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 21:42
After two trips up north I had no complaints about the quality of Bruce Highway, in fact the amount of road works inproving it was a little frustrating. (but I am used to driving on south gippsland roads full of holes). The danger of the hwy seemed to come from drivers without patience just pulling out and overtaking until a car coming the other way made them pull back in, often making cars have to make room for them. Dare I say most of these cars seem to have white & maroon number plates.

Seeing this repeatedly and the roads reputation definitely made me concentrate harder.

Just my two cents.
AnswerID: 509633

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 07:05

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 07:05
There have been a number of improvements on the southern end of the Bruce Highway, a new 12km four lane section was opened south of Gympie in December, new overtaking lanes north and south of Maryborough, the road is now being realigned at Maryborough. New rest areas south of Childers. and best of all the new entrance into Gin Gin will be completed in a couple of months.

FollowupID: 787944

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:51

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:51
Hey Rockape!
We were south bound at that scene in a grey Kia Sorrento with a strange looking home made white "top" to a grey trailer...I was surprised that we didn't feature in your film because we couldn't have been that far apart.
Saw quite a number of vans northbound...didn't realise that one of them was "shaking down" with a familiar name behind the wheel!
We assumed that, being on the Clairview turn-off, someone didn't give way to someone...and we didn't see ambulances or anything so we hope all were okay physically.
It was the first time we'd driven that section of highway-Mackay to Rocky- and we were quite amazed by how damn boring it was (and that was after doing a very interesting 4000km loop around outback Qld!).
The lack of towns, servos, meals, rest areas etc on that section of highway keeps drivers going for about 300km where perhaps they could have done with a rest...
We were caught by surprise by the lack of rest opportunities and were going crazy by the time we pulled into Yeppoon, even after stopping for a quick reviver in Marlborough's nice Lions Park.
Clairview, St Lawrence and Marlborough were nice quiet spots but hardly enticing for the driver to take a break. Hey, we'd just been pulling into tiny, hot roadside rest areas in the outback where the flies lie in wait for the next victim to get out of their car- a rest is a rest to us, but not all drivers are the same!
We noted that there were no signs along the highway advising the next fuel stop or roadside rest area so it's almost a trap that sucks you unwittingly into going on and on...
Maybe this lack of rest was the cause of this accident and/or others...?

Regards, Robyn :)
AnswerID: 509918

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 05:55

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 05:55
Robyn,
I don't remember the Kia, guess to many vehicles. There was an ambulance south bound at Koumala so I am guessing they had come from Sarina. Injuries were only minor according to the local rag.

Yes there are no signs for fuel distances I guess, I never take much notice. A good very clean rest stop is at Waverley creek about 7 K south of the St Lawrence turn off. It has truck, van and vehicle parking and they keep the different types of vehicles separated, parking wise.

We stayed at the causeway south of Yeppoon. It is a nice spot.
My wife has a drinking problem as you can see the Bundy glass in the photo. LOL.

FollowupID: 787943

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 20:58
Rockape!
Causeway?!
We missed you on the highway by a tad and missed you at Causeway by a tad!
We were there Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, in the middle near the permanent van with the tinny and green car.
Gorgeous spot! Hadn't been through Yeppoon for 11 years and, even though there were of course many changes along the coast, it is still a beautiful place.
I do however have 16 big red and very unattractive sandfly bites as a souvenir that I'm still trying not to scratch!
What's your best home remedy for these?
Hubby broke 2 toes at Airlie Beach on the Sunday and has been self-administering XXXX for his pain...should I be taking the same medication for my sandfly bites?
:)
AnswerID: 509961

Sponsored Links