6.5L Chev diesel Landcruiser

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:45
ThreadID: 101835 Views:13334 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
It's been a while since i've posted here- I've had a petrol/LPG 80 series for a few hundred thousand kms now with OME suspension and a few bits'n'pieces for touring.
My biggest problem was range.

Last night I just got back to the NSW south coast, after buying another 80 series Landcruiser in Cairns- a turbo diesel this time. The wife and I flew up, we checked it out and spent the last 4 days driving it back- the inland route thru Charters Towers, Emerald, Robe, Murrarundi and so on.

Anyway this 80 series has a brand new crate 6500 Optimizer Chev turbo diesel in it, converted and engineered by Gryphon Engineering in Cairns (who are now the East Coast distributors for Brunswick Diesels).
Ive done a huge amount of research on these engines, and am very confident the latest, brand new crate Optimizers optioned with the mechanical injector pump, are a good thing. Handed a receipt for $26,000 for it, I'd hope so too!
Mine also has had a full driveline rebuild, brand new 3.7:1 diffs with twin ARB airlockers... with a $7,000 receipt for the work.
I got to know the beast over the 4 day trip- and I am still very happy with the fuel efficiancy and the unbelievable, immense amount of power it puts out.
The conversion included the fitmant of a new Garret GT35 ballbearing water-cooled turbo and 4" exhaust- dyno tuned with very impressive figures... Over 220kw and almost 700nM of torque... insane considering it delivered economy of less than 14L/100kms at 110km/h- and i'm sure if i didnt have to get back to work andf knocked a few km/h off the figures would be better.

So i thought i'd just post this, as i have read so much negative publicity about these engines- but it all seems to be around rebuilt earlier versions which certainly did have crankshaft, cylinder head and PMD problems.

So if anyone is considering the conversion, especially those with a time-bomb 3L Patrol (his most common chev conversion), I HIGHLY recomment it!
I cant wait to fit a liquid/air intercooler now and boost it a little beyond it's current 12psi!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:13

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:13
Mate,
from someone who owned a 6.5 in a cruiser and had no problems at all, I would like to say something.

If you are going to put a intercooler in to boost power even further. Make sure you have have enough money to rebuild the gearbox and transfer.

I never had a problem with mine as I used to look after it. One slip up with the right foot in yours and you may send those diffs/box or transfer to mechanical heaven.

I will be a good jigger with the amount of power you have down low. As you say the new crate engines are brilliant.

AnswerID: 509625

Follow Up By: Mountain Goat - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:26

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:26
Thanks for the advice mate. I am generally mechanically "sympathetic", being an aircraft engineer for over 20 years now, I spend my life fixing broken mechanical systems- although none of them Landcruiser drivelines! So I will take your advice and continue to go for cruising reliability and use the torque on tap when I only need it :)
Ps we passed by the Burdiken on our way down- we stayed at Ravenswood which was a great little town. A little bit of a worry about hearing of the radiation/Uranium problems in the water systems there though...
FollowupID: 787566

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 20:37

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 20:37
Mate,
I helped a aircraft engineer change out an ignitor on a metro and even jumped started a metro with a 988 cat. Pilot had an awesome look on his face when I backed the think up to get near the anderson plug plug in. I think he thought. Here we go my little flying machine is going to be crushed by Bozo and his plane breaker.

Don't worry about the radio active water as you don't need chemo later on. A lot of that country has uranium. Helped push a track into an area south of Greenvale at the same time they were constructing the mine there for some french company. Even where I helped start the flying pencils we had uranium and the same problem with bore water. Next place we had problems with flouride in the bore water. Now my teeth glow dull yellow in the dark.

Ravenswood is a nice place and there is still nuggets to be found.

Enjoy your beast.
FollowupID: 787571

Follow Up By: Mountain Goat - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:33

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:33
Too funny ha ha. The owner of the pub in Ravenswood said they are counting on a new gold mine to get the green light nearby to keep their business and the town viable.
I was blown away by the amount of cotton that was grown between ST George and Narrabri too.

Looking forward to setting the new cruiser up like my other one, with dual batteries, anderson plug, wiring for the waeco, OME suspension and swapping the MT ATZs over to it on a new set of black ROH steel Black Trak wheels i bought yesterday.

FollowupID: 787728

Sponsored Links