Caravan in Cape Leveque ?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:24
ThreadID: 10191 Views:3121 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can some one tell me if it is possible / allowable to take an off road caravan to Cape Leveque ? Is there only one place to stay there (Kooljamin) ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:55

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:55
We saw one up there - just beware the road gets a little sandy in patches and narrow in a few places and when a car comes the other way you have to basically drive partly up the side of the dune to pass each other - the road is cut into the ground - so it is like driving thru a tunnel. Should not have a problem, except book well ahead because the camping area is not real big - one on the little beach lean- to's are the best bet on the edge of the beach - back the c'van up next to one - they book out first though. Another place to stay would be middle lagoon - about half way up from Broome - top spot with good fishing, sheltered bay and when we were there great for whale spotting. Have fun !Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 45104

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 22:06
We camped up there last year & I remember seeing camper trailers but not any caravans. Kooljamin is the only place you can camp and you must book well ahead or else they turn you away. Half way up the road is Middle Lagoon which is also worth a stop. You cannot camp outside the designated areas.
Suggest give them a phone, they have a good office and restaurant. There is also cabin accommodation available.
It is truely one of the most beautiful places we have seen and 4wd allows you to travel the beaches etc
If your over at Derby take the plane & boat trip to the horizontal waterfalls - awesome.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 45105

Reply By: Member - Bear - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 22:11

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 22:11
We were at Middle lagoon late last year and the family that travelled with us had a Jayco Outback (I think a Swan). The rig did all of cape york with us also. Just drive to the conditions and carry plenty of food & water and you can go anywhere with the right set up...

If you get stuck boil a billy and watch the sunset.

Bear

BEAR
AnswerID: 45107

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:03

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:03
bear did you go via the OTL or the bypass?Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 307280

Reply By: Will - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 00:41

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 00:41
from the kooljaman website.....

"Road suitable for 4wd camper trailers only. NO caravans."

I cant remember seeing any caravans there when we went last year. The road is not entirely suitable, maybe ok for well built 4x4 caravans like you have but i'd check with management first as you wouldnt want to drive all the way only to get turned away. Other than that like someone else said bookings are essential.

For more info visit the website www.kooljaman.com.au

All the best,
Will
AnswerID: 45128

Reply By: michael - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:11

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:11
Enter your response
Name michael
mbarden@iprimus.com.au

Answer
Arsee, we travelled july 2000 up to middle lagoon with jayswift offroad camper no problem. Let tyre pressures down by about 1/5 th. car and camper. We used Hi 4wd on our GQ td42 which I find gives better control on sandy sections which are sometimes quite cambered. We had no problems but I definitely would not take on road going caravan on that road. Our '95 jayswift has proven itself very tough on some really testing corrugations aust. wide since we bought in '96 as second owners. Because I don't like breakages or punctures, spending downtime on roadside, I genuinely believe my sensible style of driving has greatly contributed to enjoyment of our family trips. I dont believe in crawling over corrugations as there is always an optimum speed. We have been passed by many smart arses who loom up rapidly out of the dust and shower you with crap only to appear later on side of road with punctures or as in middle lagoon ,in the camp workshop being welded up.These types would have to be in life threatening circumstances to get any assistance at all from me.
Good luck, DRC
AnswerID: 45157

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:08

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:08
Hi,
Your question interested me because I get the same question all the time regarding the Gibb River and or Kalumburu Roads.
A very important fact that most people seem to forget with all these Kimberley dirt roads is just how much they can and do alter, not only during the course of the 'dry' season but also from section to section.
Hence if the road was graded in say early June you may have no problem doing any of them with most caravans or trailers BUT if after peak season use it hasn't been graded again by mid July you could do huge damage to a camper trailer covered with off road stickers.
I know this doesn't answer your question but the answer is in fact totally reliant on the road condition at the time of your trip.
Before anyone asks, sorry NO there is no way anyone including main roads or the Shire can or will tell you in advance when they will grade. They do it when the amount of traffic make enough corregations bad enough and enough people complain ! All jokes aside it also depends on their funds allocation for that road and if they have dollars to grade once or three times in a dry season.
Cheers, AnneDrysdale River Station
FollowupID: 307468

Sponsored Links