1HZ oil seeping from back of head

Submitted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 08:42
ThreadID: 101956 Views:12161 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I've done a lot of searching but have not found any definitive answers.

I recently bought a 75 series troopy with the 1HZ and DTS turbo kit fitted.

It has 330K, past 100K with the DTS fitted.

I have noticed some oil leaking from the back of the head. It looks like it has been doing this for some time.
Nothing too major more like seeping or weeping.

I cleaned it off and have driven it too and from work a few times without any signs of the oil gathering again.

This weekend I'm going to take it up the F3 (freeway between Sydney and Newcastle) towing the boat. Get some heat into it then check to see how its going.

I spoke to a bloke that rebuilds these motors who thinks its a fairly common thing for the 1HZ with a few k's under the belt.

Just want to get any ideas of if any one has heard of anything similar. And what kind of plan of attack would be most appropriate.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mudripper - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:08

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:08
Maybe a leaking valve cover gasket?

I was once fooling into thinking that I had a leaking rear main (not 1HZ) but it turned out that the oil was dripping down the rear of the engine from the valve cover! That meant a few less $ and labour lol.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 510117

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:51

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:51
I have DTS turbo fitted to 1HZ and have similar problem (although minor) Mechanic advised rocker gasket leak due to turbo being fitted. Advised to live with it.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 788183

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 22:40

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 22:40
G'day rb30e. If the above is not the answer you might try the LCOOL site. I usually find the answers Re the Toyota on there.
Cheers,Dave.
AnswerID: 510168

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 03:57

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 03:57
Hi rb30e

If you change your rocker cover gasket, I would, go genuine. It costs a bit more but the gasket is more substantial in build than after market ones Ive seen.

Good luck
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510172

Reply By: rb30e - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 08:58

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 08:58
Thanks mate will check out that Lcool site.

It's definitely not the rocker cover. I cleaned the leak from between the head and the block just above where the exhaust and inlet manifold meet.

It was dry above that. Wish it was just the rocker cover, piece of piss.

Ill see how I go this weekend and keep you all posted

Thanks again.
AnswerID: 510179

Reply By: Member - Robert (WA) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 11:34

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 11:34
Hi
There is also a aluminum half moon that sits in the back top part of the head under the rocker cover. To seal this half moon just use some silicon, Also the rocker cover gaskets do go hard over time and start to weep, just some thing else to check
Robert
AnswerID: 510186

Reply By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 15:28

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 15:28
If the leak is coming from between the head and block it may be the head gasket leaking as if I remember correctly there is an oil feed port for the rocker gear towards the rear of the block, manifold side.
If the leak is above this point it may just be a leaking intake manifold gasket where it bolts to the head, especially if the crankcase breather is fed directly back into the intake system and not through a catch can. The oil mist from the crankcase along with the pressurized intake can cause the leak.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 510203

Sponsored Links