Maytow ball weight scales.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:56
ThreadID: 101963 Views:9520 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A few years ago there was a ball weight scale being marketed under the name of `Maytow`. It was a hydraulic bottle jack with a gauge mounted on it. Now that I need one, I can`t find out who sells them. I have tried Goggle with no success.

Can any one help me on this? I basically wan`t to buy a tow ball weight scale, Maytow is the only one I knew about. I am open to suggestions re a different brand. I am aware of the method of ascertaining the vans ball weight on the bathroom scales, but don`t really wan`t to go there if possible , as I wan`t to take various weight measurments over a period of days, possibly in different locations.

I am going to place an advt in the Trader section re purchasing a 2nd hand one, but will buy new if available. Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilgadene - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:13

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:13
try this one GT

jack
AnswerID: 510139

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 07:56

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 07:56
Ordered one today! Thanks, Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 788296

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:52

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:52
GT.
Measuring the ball weight can be done with bathroom scales.
By using a strong timber, bathroom scales and the weight of the tow coupling transferred to the middle of the timber beam, the reading on the scales will show half what the ball weight is.

So, bathroom scales, appropriate timber pieces as the lever arm and height prop under trailer coupling and measure the weight. Just raise the jockey wheel until coupling leaves the weight on the beam between the scales and the support block.
Just double what you read.

Old wall studs are good to use. If weight is large use two pieces, ie as a thick plank.

No need to buy something special which may not be accurate anyway.
Ross M
AnswerID: 510141

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 07:51

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 07:51
Ross-- I did say that I was aware of the bathroom scale method, but did not wan`t to go there. Thanks for your reply anyway. G.T.
FollowupID: 788237

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 18:28

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 18:28
G.T.

Maytow still sell them. I bought one last week.
The price is the same as the link posted above with delivery included.

I had been concerned with the tow ball weight of my current camper and needed a new jack anyway, so I bought one from Maytow.
To my pleasant surprise the weight came in at 150kg with the maximum allowed on my vehicle towbar of 300kg.
The jack with gauge can also be used to determine the gross weight of your van or camper by weighing each wheel, then the tow ball weight and adding the results together.
Instructions are included with the jack, which comes in a galvanised steel container that is a little more long lasting than a cardboard box:-)

I have no connection with Maytow apart from being a satisfied customer.

Before purchasing, I did a search on the web and you can buy a jack with gauge port, but this was from the US. Add the cost of the gauge, plus the fitting of it and it was just not worth the effort.
$179 may look like a lot, but the accuracy of the hydraulic jack and gauge has to be much better than the bathroom scale method and besides, my bloody bathroom scales require you to tap the scales to turn them on before standing on them:-(

Jack with gauge
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510144

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 18:32

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 18:32
Well blow me down!!!

The links shown are the same.

The Caravanshop.com.au is the online shop for Maytow Caravans.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788201

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 07:57

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 07:57
Ordered one today. Thanks, Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 788297

Reply By: Joh M - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 03:56

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 03:56
Is anybody aware of the new TOWSAFE Ball Weight Scales back on the market. Used to be available many years ago, but now reintroduced. There are a few resellers around Australia for this product.
In Queensland they are available from PROBAR wholesale www.probar.net.au
Anybody that has bought one, please give us some feedback, Cheers
AnswerID: 511204

Follow Up By: Nigel - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 18:09

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 18:09
Yes Joh, I just recently saw one in use and was quite impressed. The best part about it is I'll be able to store it on board. I've found them on EBAY for $79.95 + P&H, and have one on the way. I don't know about pro bar but according to the developer they have a distributor in Toowoomba QLD called Ray Jordan Agencies and you will also soon be able to order them from Roadsafe Stockists throughout Oz.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Nigel
FollowupID: 789714

Follow Up By: Joh M - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 03:53

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 03:53
Bought one yesterday at probar, some else was buying one there at the same time. They gave him a discount cause they got the details from another forum. I mentioned the same and got it cheaper than Ebay. Pretty happy allround
FollowupID: 789813

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:28

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:28
There is a camping & 4 x 4 supply store in Perth WA (Bibra Lake) and they supply a ball weight scale for approx $79 + shipping.

Although the scale is not yet shown on their website a phone call will confirm & payment can be made on the phone. website
AnswerID: 511570

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 14:32

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 14:32
Thanks for the info. Have purchased a Maytow. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 789852

Sponsored Links