Mungo NP

Plan to go to Mungo NP next week and was wondering if anyone has been recently. We would like to go in via Balaranald and out via Mildura, so was wondering what the road surface is like. Both roads are open but can't get any info regarding road condition. We are towing a 12ft Jayco sprite with a 2wd Hilux ute.

Hope someone has been there since Xmas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - alex R (VIC) - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:03

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:03
hi Peter,
If you can't get any information here. You should contact the Visitor Information Centre at Mildura, as they will have up to date Road conditions.

Hope this helps

Richo57
AnswerID: 510369

Reply By: wombat100 - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:35

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:35
We were there the week before Easter.
Went to Mungo via Pooncarrie. Road conditions all good.
I fou wish to do 'the loop' at Mungo, may be a good idea to do it without the 'van.
Cheers
Wombat
AnswerID: 510370

Reply By: mountainman - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:41

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:41
we went back in 1998, in a toyota coaster bus.
awesome trip !!
roads were fine.. back then.
damn wished i took my 22, bloody bunnies in the place was unbelievable !!

youll love it like we did..

you might find a few corrigations but, be fine in the hilux..
soo many tracks, we realy did get lost till a semi towing a load of sheep helped us to what track we were on .. and where we were heading ha ha ha..
AnswerID: 510371

Reply By: Member - Luke B (NSW) - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:46

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 15:46
Hello Peter,
I was there a couple of weeks ago.
I drove out on the road to Balranald. The road condition was very good. As you probably know, its sealed from Balranald north. The turn off to Mungo is about 55kms from Balranald at which point the road turns to dirt. Its was in good nick with some corrugations when you get close to the national park.

I didn't drive the road to Mildura so can't help there.

Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 510372

Reply By: Pathycop - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 20:07

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 20:07
Hi Peter.
We too were up therein 8thapril for a couple of nights. The road in from Balranald is basically a highway and no real issue. Once off th bitumen, the road surface does change constantly fom packed clay, loose red rocks, back to clay and then some red sand. Very enjoyable tip in with lots of wildlife to see. Some short areas of little corrugations but not much o worry about.
After reading all the advise on here for what wax our first trip, I experimented with tyre pressures to find a comfortable ride for the family. I ended up settling on 25psi, not towing but the Pathfinder wa packed to the rafters and beyonfpd onto the roof! Did the first few k on my road pressure of 40psi and rattled all the fillings out of the kids teeth!!
One thing I did learn that had never been mentioned was taking extra care with reduced, almost crawling speed, over the transitions across the cattle grids. Hit a couple a bit hard before I realised I was going too hard.
I assume you are camping at the main camp ground? Lots of room when we were there great facilities, BBQ shed and toilets, but get some firewood before you get there if you can. One last thing, allow a full day for the loop trip. So many stops and sights to see. The big dunes at viggars well was our kids highlight. Made m climb all the way to the top of the highest dune but well worth thr effort for the view!
Sorry cant tell you anything about thr road back to Mildura as we headed north to Menindee.

Cheers and enjoy.

Graeme
AnswerID: 510387

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 20:40

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 20:40
It sounds like the road from Mildura is fairly similar to the Balranald rd with possibly a few more corrugations in some places.
I would try to get a guided tour with one of the indigenous guides while I was out there. You can organise it from the visitor centre. Really worth the money,gave us access to some of the restricted areas and imparted us with a lot of knowledge on the area's history. Regards,Bob.
FollowupID: 788489

Reply By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 22:27

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 22:27
Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like a good plan via Balranald and out to Mildura. Plan to spend two or three nights in the park and definitely a whole day on the loop. We have a good power setup so no problems in the main camp. We saw some photos of the camp and main centre and it looks good for a few days but I don't think a guided tour will be available as it's outside school holiday times and major public holidays. We should be there next Sunday or Monday and are really looking forward to it, and the weather forecast so far has the temperatures in the low 20's with cool but not freezing nights. A warm fire will be on the cards for sure so we'll take in some firewood as well.

Thank you all again and happy travelling!!
AnswerID: 510400

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 17:26

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 17:26
Hi Pete
I did a quick recon rd trip from Sydney on the Anzac weekend,
Took the Mildura rd to lake Mungo,110klm of various conditions from clay cap to some rough corrugated sections.
Only did a day trip out there wish i had more time to camp a few nights as it was a full moon and the walls off china are meant to look good under moon light.
And with sun setting on them.
As some one said don't miss Vigars well you can access/walk the sand dunes from there.

I returned via the Euston rd as i wanted to end up in Swan hill for the night.
it is very corrigated and stony the first 50klm or so, then improves to a good surface.
you won't have problem in the Hilux, i saw heaps of cars with low profile tyres out there.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510525

Sponsored Links