Tasty Treats for the Next 6 Weeks.

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 23:01
ThreadID: 102064 Views:2629 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good Evening All

I thought that I would pass on this information for any traveller heading north towards Marree during the next 6 weeks.

I was speaking with Kevin tonight from Farina Station about a trip halfway up the Birdsville Track that Fiona and I will be doing at the end of the month. Our first nights stay will be in the great little campground at Farina.

Kevin informed me that the restoration committee have started their 6 week restoration works today and the famous Farina Bakery is up and running for the next 6 weeks. So for anyone passing this great little spot and would like to try the best and freshest baked country bread, pies, pasties and cakes, make sure that you drop in and taste their famous baking.

If all things go as planned, Fiona and I will be visiting some very special spots that the average tourists never get to see. So keep an eye out for my Blog for when we get back.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 11:44

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 11:44
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the information. We are planning at stopping at Farina early next month (around 7th June) so hopefully the bakery is still open then!

Now I believe they are doing some restoration work on the ruins at Farina - do you know about this and are you planning on helping out? We could probably spare a day to help if needed - we'll see when we get there.

Look forward to your details on the 'special spots'.

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 510503

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 14:41

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 14:41
Hi Geoff

The Bakery should still be running then, as they have a 6 week restoration period. Sorry I will not be helping out, just staying the night.

If you want to find out more about what they are doing, give Kevin a call on (08) 8675 2001 and he will be able to give you the full run down.

We are looking forward to the trip and hope to find and locate a couple very special pieces of early Australian History, well before the Birdsville Track ever came into place.

At least by then the flys should have gone as Jason from Etadunna Station told me they are out in droves at the moment, so the cooler nights over the coming weeks should put an end to them.

Have a great and safe trip to where ever you are heading, and Farina is always a great little spot. If you have not been there before, here is a link to a Blog that I did on it nearly 2 years ago.

Farina

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788599

Reply By: Dough Boy - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 22:21

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 22:21
Hi Stephen
Thanks for the update.
What a pity, we are heading up through there mid July on our way to Warburton Crossing, so sadly we will probably miss the Bakery.
Looking to seeing your blog after your trip
Cheers
Dough Boy
AnswerID: 510549

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 23:01

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 23:01
Hi Dough Boy

That is a pity, but still make sure that you take the time to drop into Farina, it is a top little spot with lots of history.

What I hope to find will be very interesting, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Have a great trip through the Warburton Crossing, it is a great drive. Take note of the first few sand dunes that you cross, as they are a real contrast to the red dunes of the Simpson Desert, and are in fact white, just like the beach sand.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788628

Follow Up By: Dough Boy - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 11:21

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 11:21
Thanks for the great information Stephen
Will make note of the dunes when we get past the crossing

Cheers
DB
FollowupID: 788757

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 15:29

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 15:29
Bummer, missed it. We camped (vanned) there about a month ago. Very interesting place, especially the underground bakery. Enjoyed the 'air-conditioned' showers powered by the donkey.
AnswerID: 510643

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 19:02

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 19:02
Hi Rod

At least you have stayed there and experienced the atmosphere of the area.

The reason why I did my blog a few years ago was to encourage people to stop and have a look around Farina, as you would be surprised just how many people drive straight past and have no idea of the little oasis of Farina and what is all about.

We have never seen the Bakery in operation, so we are looking forward to those special fresh baked products.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788787

Sponsored Links