seasoning canvas

Submitted: Friday, May 10, 2013 at 09:15
ThreadID: 102117 Views:5071 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a new camper trailer and want to know the best way to seal the canvas? We have left it over nigh twith a heavy due and we have hosed it very well. Is this enough? A bit hard when no rain is forecast, so should we hose it again or is once enough? I have heard that candle wax is a good way to do the seams if needed. We are so new to this, any clues are going to be useful. Cannot wait to go out on the road with this and show it off and actually get to sleep in it! Yahoo!!!!
We are very slow in setting it up at the moment as it is a 10x10 and I am a shorty, so a ladder and I mean a REAL ladder is needed, not a step stool. Lucky my husband is taller and can reach it mostly without a stool. Did not realise just how high the tent and awning is!
Also any clues for packing it up wet or in rain and mud etc. Hopefully it will not happen, but in this great country of ours any thing can happen. It is a soft floor, so quite a heavy set up.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hilux fan - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 10:41

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 10:41
The wetting/drying cycle is a good move, but I've found that you also need to use the candle wax stick along the seams to get complete waterproofing.
AnswerID: 510719

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 11:16

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 11:16
Julie S2

Did the same as you, hit it with the hose, wet right down then let it dry a couple of times, didn't use the wax. Thought it was all good until the first real soaking rain and it leaked like a sieve. I thought what the ----, heap of ----. For two days we had rain and I was packing it up wet and really peed off. But on the third day the sun came out and you could hear the canvas tightening up. Had a couple of more sunny days then it rained again. A very minute amount of water came in but that was when it was belting down. This came through a seam but it didn't worry me. Since then we have camped out in some bad weather and leakage has not been a problem.
I think the moral to the story is do what you are doing but it will really need an absolute soaking by mother nature, but when it dries out you will not be disappointed in the result. You will be annoyed at first as I was but all good now.
Setting up you will only get quicker the more you do it.
If you can leave the awning attached at all times and just sling it over the tent when packing up that will save time in the set up and pack up. Just leave the awning over the tent for the short stays.
Packing up in the wet and mud-it's fun! Put a tarp over the bed area so the wet canvas does not touch it.

You will enjoy it.

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510721

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:13

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:13
Just to add to the tarp comment.
My wife bought one of those cheap blue tarps and then sewed the corners and sewed in some elastic to make an oversized fitted sheet. When we pack up she fits this over the whole madeup bed and it keeps it clean and dry.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788891

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 09:53

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 09:53
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Good ideas and we will be taking note of all of the above. It has been sitting out in the dew and showers of rain we have been getting now for several days. Now to dry it off. We still may use a seam sealer of some kind to go around the seams just for our own peace of mind. It has pooled water where we were slack with the spreader bars, and did not leak through so that is one good sign so far. Now for buying some led lights. Getting it registered, finishing off the kitchen, insuring it etc etc. We got the green under lay for the tent part and have a blue type of matting for the awning. This will be fun eventually. Just so much to think of at first.
FollowupID: 789059

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 16:19

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 16:19
We are in the same boat, but haven't picked up the CT yet, hopefully this month some time.
We have never had one before either, so I will be watching this thread with interest.
AnswerID: 510742

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 16:35

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 16:35
Hi Julie, while I have no issues with the advice given..we treated our C/t to a nice silver tarp..get one at least a metre wider all round than your tent. Once you learn to fold it the right way..(Longitudanly,both sides to centre, it takes 5 minutes to pull it
over the lot & fasten with a handful of ocos.
Forget about leaks,stains, & wet pack ups. Your tent will be cooler as well.If it rains
you can easily collect beautiful fresh water too..:)))...cheapest is ebay.
cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 510744

Reply By: derraux - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 18:01

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 18:01
Seasoning canvas is very difficult to do with a hose most canvas products needs about 6-8 hours of solid ran and it can take 2 or 3 wets before all the stitch holes shrink.

Basically you need to get the Canvas to a point where it leaks.

Most people find they get stuck in a big rain their camper or tent leaks and are very disappointed if it was explained to them from the beginning correct seasoning of canvas they would be still wet but not so upset.

The best way to do smaller products like swag is take the mattress out soak in clean fresh water over night and dry bit hard to do with a camper or tent.

Hope this helps
Derek
AnswerID: 510748

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 20:19

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 20:19
Jeez,

I've had two tents and a soft top camper trailer and never pre-seasoned any of them.
Oh! And we have two swags that we have spent a few nights out in the open in drenching rain on different occasions. None of them have leaked.

Perhaps it has something to do with the quality of the canvas on the products?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510757

Sponsored Links