Post your clever DIY 4WD, camper or camping ideas here on this post

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:07
ThreadID: 102154 Views:5473 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Saturday night is normally fairly quiet so why not post your clever travel ideas with some good photos here tonight. If successful, maybe we can do the same every Saturday night. regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skulldug - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 18:11

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 18:11
Good idea Michael.

When travelling, I always keep one wallet with a credit card and some cash in my back pocket and another in my front pocket. If the thieves get one- I've still got the other. If they get my trousers, I've lost my money, my pride, and if seen in public, my freedom.

Only good thing about loosing your freedom is that you get a free room and food.

Sorry :)
Skull
AnswerID: 510814

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 20:03

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 20:03
My clever 4WD idea #1...NEVER trust the road advisory signs! 3 weeks ago the Muttaburra-Prarie sign said "open" and we assumed that all was well.
Yeh, right!
By the time we realised it was wet black soil and it was getting a bit "iffy" it was too late to turn around because the road edges were worse than the middle and we'd have sunk...
50 km of what my husband calls "we were all passengers more than once": crawling sideways, slipping and sliding... and being very grateful for the Sorento's low range and the hubby's driving skills, and also as grateful as hell that the big black clouds dropped their load in the distance and not on us!!
4WD hint #2: always have spare food for times when you may get caught on a track that should never have been declared open!!
We didn't get caught. But it came damn close.

PS: A plug for the nice man who runs the caravan park in Hughenden (the one near the Winton Rd) for lending us his high pressure hose. That 45 minute high pressure hose job at the truck wash saved us days with a bucket and sponges!!

Oh...and I keep hubby's credit card as my spare (tee hee!!)
FollowupID: 788928

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 23:27

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 23:27
Skull
You have that frack to bunt.
The credit card and some money should be in your pocket and IF you want to advertise with money in a wallet in a back pocket, then do so.
Also, leave wallet on the deck if you are considering a Bungee Jump.

I never use a wallet, never have never will.

Ross M
FollowupID: 788942

Follow Up By: byronbryan - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 23:46

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 23:46
My god....you're allowed to have a credit card and wallet! In my world what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers also!!!

FollowupID: 788943

Reply By: Bob W5 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 06:34

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 06:34
Hi Micheal. I purchased a 20 litre plastic drum with a large diameter screw on lid. i fill it 1/3 with water and laundry powder, put a small amount of laundry in and secure it to my roof rack on its side and my laundry is being washed while driving. When I make camp I simply wring out the clothes and hang out to dry on my makeshift clothes line. Happy travels.
AnswerID: 510838

Reply By: pepper2 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 07:53

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 07:53
Hello Michael,for camp lighting i buy a 240volt hand held trouble light (approx $10) with screw in bulb,replace the 240v bulb with a 12v screw in fluro then cut off the 240v two pin plug and replace with 12v cigarette plug or similar.

Result 12v fluro light similar performance to the $120 units for about one quarter the price,also the trouble light fitting comes with a metal reflector that improves light output.
AnswerID: 510842

Reply By: Derek Jones - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:24

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:24
1. If I am in a convoy I always give my spare key to a 'trusted other' in another vehicle - gives me a backup in case key is lost.
2. I carry a 20l cube shape black plastic water container (similar to the clear/white ones you can buy) for my solar shower. More durable than a solar shower bag and can act as a back up source if required.
3. I pack a small 6' X 4' - poly tarp in amongst my gear. Very handy for many uses including, temp shelter from the elements, wrapping up uncover items, and a sheet to lie on if I need to get under the car.
4. When travelling through spinifex country I always carry two metal coat hangars. One unravelled and fully extended to reach those hard to get places and the other simply folded in half for heavier, close in work.
5. Wherever possible save those 4c litre fuel tickets to use on my travels.
6. Bought a couple of those Arlec LED lights (model number AU1133) ~$7. Magnet backed and with a swivel hook make them ideal around the camp site without taking up weight or space. Powered by 3 X AAA batteries means spares are easily carried.
AnswerID: 510866

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:02

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:02
Wire coat hangers or fencing wire and gaffer tape. I always keep them in the tool kit just in case.
AnswerID: 510884

Reply By: landseka - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:49

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:49
I just carry two things, Duct tape and WD40.

If it moves but shouldn't - use the duct tape.

If it should move but won't - use the WD40.

Simple tool kit!
AnswerID: 510926

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:01

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:01
Old as the hills that one ...hehe.
Hang on ...probably older than some of the hills around here (mining area).
Great idea n still works ...but in these modern times duct tape can be replaced with silicone rescue tape and .....more WD-40...lol

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 789031

Sponsored Links