crossing the simpson in July tips????

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 18:23
ThreadID: 102174 Views:1670 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of doing the one thing that all 4wders want to do and take on the simpson desert. I do realise that there are something that I need to do first but I would like some feed back on what are some of the essentials for the crossing. I have a 04 model Hilux with the 3l non turbo I know others have crossed in 2.8l engines. but what would be recomended to do and to take and are there anyone out there looking at travelling in July. how much fuel is good have 115l tank plus jerry how long is best??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 19:35

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 19:35
Seriously the main Simpson is a walk in the park and a nice drive but can be dangerous and unforgiving if handled wrongly.

You need to work out how much you Hilux uses under extreme conditions and work on that plus maybe another 20% just in case you have to travel further via a detour.

With water work on 4lts tops per person per day and you have to be able to cook on a non campfire.

Base your food and water on staying 3-4 extra day just in case..... you get rained in, vehicle breaks down.

Maps, information about the area, GPS????, UHF vehicle mounted radio, basic hand tools, jumper leads, air compressor, tyre plug kit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, fire blanket, vehicle mounted recovery points and snatch strap a must and it would not hurt to carry spare fan belts and maybe a fuel filter........ cable ties and duck tape (100mph tape) is good the have..... a tarp is also handy.

You have to make sure your vehicle is in good condition and replacing oils, coolant, belts , battery and all filters would be a good idea.

Make sure everyone going can drive your Hilux and they know first aid.

A sat phone and PLB is a good idea.

Don't forget a sand flag and a camera
AnswerID: 510910

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:33

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:33
olcoolone - that is a very good and concise response. Just the tips that many of us need to know.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 789020

Follow Up By: george50 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:18

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:18
Also don't be a wiseguy and do it without letting your tires down ( at least to 20psi ) or you'll not only shake your teeth out and make the track even more corrugated , you'll eventually get stuck , at least on the French line. Do it right and 1st gear high range will get you over most sandhills .
FollowupID: 789025

Reply By: Michaeljp - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 14:00

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 14:00
It sounds like its going to be very busy during July for the crossing. Im doing it aswell in my patrol.
AnswerID: 510967

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 14:17

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 14:17
Hi,

I went across last June/July in a 2010 Ford Ranger. 70ltr tank plus carried another 70ltrs. Came out with 40 litres still in the jerry cans. As mentioned above, the crossing was not overly challenging, but the point about tyre pressures is a good one.

I carried 2 spare tyres (didn't use either), spare filters, hoses, oils, fuses, bulbs etc. I did replace the air filter, but that was all I used.

A great trip - enjoy!!
AnswerID: 511166

Sponsored Links