Need advice on buying secondhand 4wd

Submitted: Monday, May 13, 2013 at 09:09
ThreadID: 102185 Views:1630 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Need to buy another 4wd, I had a 2000 hilux dual cab but unfortunately we had a rolling accident and she has to be replaced. Have heard this is more common in a Hilux due to their centre of gravity so not sure i wish to go there again.

I am looking for something that is ok for city driving (including Sydney) but for 20% of time can be taken off road to remote national parks. Hopefully something that is not too fuel crazy either.
. It would usually be just 1-2 of us in vehicle but I like the idea of have dual cab over single cab so can lock up important items. Also a consideration for me is that as a female sometimes I may need to sleep in the vehicle for security.

I have a price range of up to 15K.
I am looking towards Range Rover Defender 110, but my brother has a Triton so may go down that alley. Turbo diesel if I can as well.

Any suggestions?

Gabriel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike g2 - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 12:39

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 12:39
Hi Gabriel, Hilux popular-used by a lot of agencies. can reduce 4wd risks (inc roll over) by minimising weight on roof rack and by doing a 4wd course- very valuable, you learn all sorts of tricks, inc how to tailor driving technique to various surfaces, tracks, keeping below the tilt and roll angles, recovery techniques and effect of speed ,tyre pressures when off road.
I improved my skills greatly after a rollover myself by doing a course! typical driver- you think you know how to 4wd until something happens!

Answer depends on how serious you want to get. sounds like just the occasional outing
Even so, don't think you will get much for under $15K in reasonable good 2nd hand market. personally I like the diesel 4 door TD patrols, your pref for secure 'sleep in' if poss obviously rules out utes,traybacks,etc..Can take out those annoying extra back 'kiddy' seats and convert to a reasonable storage system+ 12v fridge. there are comparison and review websites for 4wd's and local clubs are a great resource. do the homework before shopping
you would need to insist on a mech check, may be hard to know how it has been driven or if repaired .
MG.
AnswerID: 510958

Follow Up By: Member - Gabriel S - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 13:53

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 13:53
Thanks Mike, would you believe that I was on a training course when it happened! That's how it goes sometimes, was incredibly valuable day though.
I haven't totally ruled out utes because there are so many good ones, but I am thinking I will have to look towards something like a patrol. How are they for doing your own mini services? Can you get to everything easily?

GS
FollowupID: 789071

Reply By: fisherPete - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 21:16

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 21:16
The best value 4wds around are Holden Jackaroo in v6 3.5 form. Their are a couple of low K examples on car saLES.. Note the diesel 3l has a poor reputation, although the older 3.1 is a good motor but now getting long in the tooth. Manuals are much better on fuel then autos in Jacks. WE have one of ea.
Good luck Pete
AnswerID: 511017

Sponsored Links