Care of Canvas Tent

Submitted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 13:49
ThreadID: 102204 Views:2064 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day!

I recently got some good advice on buying a tent on ExploreOz and have bought an OzTrail Blitz 300.

Now I'm worried about the issue of packing it up damp from the due when moving on in the morning. How big an issue is this?

I guess the tent would be packed for up to 8 hours before being pitched again, but in some cases may be several days, eg, when heading home or staying in a caravan park for a hot shower and do the washing.

Everyone who travels and uses a quick pitch tent must face this question.

Thanks,
Laurie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 17:43

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 17:43
Good day Bega,
what I used to do while travelling with the tent if it had been dewy in the mornings I would wait until about 0800, and If still damp We would dry it down as best we could with towels and then stow it away for the trip stop for an hour or so at lunch time and then roll it out again and let it dry out a bit more while stopped for the midday meal, and then we would more than likely, stay the night if it looked good and we had time on our hands, otherwise it would be pack it all up again and move on to the next night park, and camp, the only times we rolled it up wet was when it was raining and we had to move with no other option. Given that everyone has there own way of doing things and that was mine,lol. don't have that problem now we brought a caravan.
Good luck
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511059

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 17:56

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 17:56
Thanks Broodie!

I take it you didn't have any mildew or rot problems?
FollowupID: 789168

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:08

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:08
We had the tent for fifteen years and then the boys started camping with there mates I think if my memory serves me correctly the tent only lasted two of there trips, lol, and then we got it back to put in the rubbish bin and we brought the van, needless to say they don't borrow the van. But as far as mildew is concerned if you dry it out quickly enough and air it out for a couple of days when you get home it should not be an issue. I hope this helps you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789169

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:23

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:23
Fifteen years out of a tent sounds pretty good. You're regime must have been OK.

Ah, those boys! All the same, huh!
FollowupID: 789171

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:41

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:41
You can say that again, but they still remember the great camping experiences only in there memory banks they did all the work mum did all the cooking and I did all the socializing, but give them there due they love the outdoors and are very eco friendly leaving no trace of a camp site, so we must have taught them something even if they couldn't look after a tent. The tent was good old heavy duty canvas waxed and cleaned every year and it only ever leaked once.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789173

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 19:07

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 19:07
Yes, great memories of childhood camping trips.

My two boys, and now my daughter also, bring their families camping with us to enjoy something of the great times they enjoyed as kids.

We all camped over Easter by the coast, fifteen of us. The youngest was about the same age as his father when he first camped, 12 weeks.

And yes, we too have a little caravan, but there are some places you just can't tow an on-road van with a 2WD ute.

Thanks for the help!
FollowupID: 789178

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:43

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:43
Hi Laurie,

A few days folded while wet will not harm the canvas.
Just erect it to dry at the earliest opportunity.

I have both an Oztent and the canvas tent on my hard top camper.

I never get anal when packing up in the morning. If the canvas is wet so be it.
I have left the camper closed for two or three days before I have had the opportunity to open it up and allow the canvas to dry properly and never experienced mold/mildew problems.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511068

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:58

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 18:58
Thanks for that great info, Bill! Sets my mind at rest no end.

I'll just shake her off and pack her up! No worries!
FollowupID: 789177

Reply By: phantom - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 21:44

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 21:44
G'day Bega,
Have been camping with the family in a canvas tent (southern cross) for the last 20 years and don' get too anal about packing up damp. The canvas is good for 2 or 3 days damp. Just make sure that you erect it and give it a good airing as soon as practicable. Don't stress and enjoy.
AnswerID: 511073

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 23:21

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 23:21
Thanks phantom!

That seems to be the word: Don't stress, and enjoy!

Will do!
FollowupID: 789186

Sponsored Links