Roadwork speed limits

Submitted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:15
ThreadID: 102298 Views:2867 Replies:19 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
On my recent trip which included the highway all the way down the coast from Cairns, there were road works. Seemed like a new one every couple of k's.
Obviously these roadworks had reduced speed limits. Many all the way down to 40.
After working hours, public holidays, and weekends, there are no workers. But the limit is still reduced.
Do you...

A: Abide by posted limited, ignoring those behind you tailgateing, blowing horns, flashing lights etc

B: Just stay on original limit and hope no one is slower than you, or a cop in the middle of the road works.

C: Overtake everyone, possibly going over original limit, ignoring everything around you.

Only reason I ask is that it seemed a mate and I, seemed to be the only ones on the road who did slow down. Majority of other drivers, including trucks and other caravans, ignored the posted speed signs.
I'm sure others abide by them, just not when we were there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bigden - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:28

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:28
i cant believe all the people that complain about speed limits, getting fined, getting angry. just follow the speed limits and chill out.
then there are ones that complain speed fines are just revinue raising! its a voluntary payement , dont speed dont pay
just my 2cents worth

dennis
AnswerID: 511387

Reply By: Axle - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:49

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:49
G/Day Mate, I"ve come to the conclusion, that no matter what the speed limit, whether its new road works to freeway conditions, there is always and will be for ever! drivers wanting to pass you , !!....To play it safe just travel to the given speed sign.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 511388

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:09

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:09
I alway do.(mostly)
Had to laugh on my trip though. First time in Northern Territory I saw their speed limit sign. 130kph. I thought I had to at least do this speed legally at least once. So I did for a short time. Still had people overtaking me. As if the speed was not enough. Didnt like the speed much, so settled back down to 110. More reaction time anyway in event of unforseen event, like a roo, or an eagle on the road.
FollowupID: 789609

Reply By: allein m - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:10

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:10
At 19 I worked for the main road dept in Perth working on many road work projects all over Perth and it is amazing how many close calls we had many motorists just ignored the road work signs we put a hole in a huge gas main on stock road once and we had to divert traffic several cars just ignored us and just went straight on only to be stopped by police and being told of big time . now that would have been a sight 12 inch gas main alight through naked flaime

I say to people would you like me to drive through your work place at high speed that is basically what they are doing.
AnswerID: 511390

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:05

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:05
I was amazed in the USA last year. Many states have simple legislation that is clearly signposted at the start of Road works together with the reccomended speed for that area - "Injure or kill a worker - 10 years jail minimum". Fair enough too I reckon!

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789621

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:29

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:29
Hey allein, what about when there are no workers there? The signs still say 40kmh at 2am??
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789644

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 09:41

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 09:41
To be fair though - the roadwork signs not only mean there may be workers it also can mean the road (because of the roadworks) may be unsuitable for the normal speed limit. So a 40 kph roadwork limit at 2am maybe perfectly relevant.

Having said that there have been lots of roadworks in my area lately and the speed limit did not go back to the normal limit after knock off time but the roadworkers often did get confused. Sometimes the roadwork sign on the left of the road world read 40kph but the one on the right hand side of the road would say 60kph so they cannot make their mind up what the roadwork actually is.

Also the police were very active in policing the roadwork speed limits during the day and as well as people driving through faster than the 40 kph the cops were also nabbing the construction vehicles and road plant that were building the road for breaking their own speed limits.

Garry
FollowupID: 789672

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 12:55

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 12:55
To be fair though - the roadwork signs not only mean there may be workers it also can mean the road (because of the roadworks) may be unsuitable for the normal speed limit. So a 40 kph roadwork limit at 2am maybe perfectly relevant.

yes I agree and yes some times a mistake is made but it up to the driver at the time to make the call we all have basic commonsense
FollowupID: 789689

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 14:47

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 14:47
allein m, I'd like to see how you go explaining to the police that it is you who makes the call about wether to do the posted speed or the speed you think is appropriate.
FollowupID: 789702

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 15:50

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 15:50
yes I agree and yes some times a mistake is made by leaving sign but it up to the driver at the time to make the call we all have basic commonsense

what I am trying to say is look at the situation like the one with the red lights on all week end I personally prefer to err on the side of safety and just move along at the stated speed
FollowupID: 789707

Follow Up By: brianc - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 10:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 10:00
We were in Canada a couple of years back. Roadworks there had signs -- Penalties double when workers present. Your choice.
FollowupID: 789753

Reply By: Pathycop - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:17

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:17
Sdg

The answer is a.

In Victoria, there is a commitment between Vic roads and contractors that during non wok periods as you have described, the speed limits will be adjusted accordingly, so you should no longer come across say a 40 zone when not a work time. Doesn't always happen I know that much but it is a lot more rare. It is actually written in the contracts that I have seen. It is specifically aimed at those 40 and 60 signs in 100 zones.

If you come across signage line 40 and it is. Non work day, call Vic roads and tell hem. They will action it and the contractor could be fined.

Cheers

Graeme
AnswerID: 511392

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:47

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:47
I would have thought the signs are there not only to protect the workers, but to suit the road conditions, which are usually poor while being worked on, barriers, holes etc.
FollowupID: 789612

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:57

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:57
Correct. That's why I said they will adjust the speed limit accordingly.
If they have lifted the road surface for instance it may stay at 40 or be increased or 60 or 80. It's whatever is safe. The idea behind the initiative was to get rid of throwing out the 40 sign on day 1 when guys are working and then leaving them there all weekend frustrating the likes of you and me when there is no person on site.

Graeme
FollowupID: 789619

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:21

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:21
Hi again Graeme

That may be in the contracts but I would say that it is the minority that actually adjust the limits for out of works hours traffic. And if we were to call the RTA or cops that wouldn't alleviate the problem of that bloody big grill or bullbar in the mirror and the obviously intimidating exhaust brake applications.

I believe you that know my situation. I have had to stop and make a cuppa on more than one occasion after we got through.

It is a pain and for some and I thank SDG for the thread. It is so easy for some to just say "stick to the speed limit".

Phil
FollowupID: 789639

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:30

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:30
Spot on Graeme, I have seen the contracts
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789645

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:32

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:32
Whats the go in the other states? Are they going or gone the same way? That would help.

Phil
FollowupID: 789647

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:18

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:18
SDG
Perhaps if there were far fewer frivalous road works/ speed reduction signs people would take more care when they see Road Works signs.
There has been a "rough road 80km/hr speed restriction" 800m section 25km south of Tamworth on the New England Highway for the past few months, just a few minor pot holes which for what ever reason are not being fixed. I mean really minor pot holes. None of the locals observe ithe speed reduction.
The speed reduction is absurd when speed reduction signs are kept out for weeks after works have really been completed. People will obey the signs if they know they are "for real".

To answer your above question, it would very much depend on the quality of the road surface and traffic.
AnswerID: 511393

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:49

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:49
I know the one you speak of. Went through there as well and thought it was a waste of time.
FollowupID: 789613

Reply By: Member - Bill13 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:27

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:27
While I agree with big den and Axle's replies, I think this sort of attitude has been caused by speed signs left out on the roadway long after the hazardous situation has ended, such as after work has stopped for the day.
An example that gets me going is a area of roadway that I pass everyday, which is a major road that is having the vegetation cleared on both sides of the road by an excavator, bobcat, truck etc.
This section of road is signposted adequately as required with the speed limit reduced to 60 Klm through this area. When work is finished for the day, this signage is left in position although there is no damage to the road and all deliberation is still in place.
This is bad practice and sheer laziness on the contractors who are doing this job.
I have seen this situation before during my travels and this could be the contributing factor that some drivers ignore the speed signs. I know it gets up my goat.
No saying that it is right for them to do so but traffic control is a responsible task that should not be controlled by fools and signage must be done properly.
Apologies to responsible traffic controllers who do a great job.
Bill
AnswerID: 511395

Follow Up By: Member - ken m4 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:33

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:33
totally agree with this and other comments regarding the irresponsible application of these safety measures
FollowupID: 789611

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:43

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:43
I was sticking to the roadworks speed limit once and got overtaken by a guy who was in a hurry, this was shortly followed by another car except this one had pretty blue & red lights in the corner of the unmarked car - guess what they lit up once he caught up to him and by the look of it, got booked - great.

I think that the road traffic contractors are contributing to the problem when they dont remove or "tip over" the signs at the end of the day and people just become frustrated and then speed up especially on long stretches of country roads when there are no impediments such as loose surfaces, cut edges or potholes etc. I am now seeing it where if they are working on a side / service road they are now imposing roadwork speed restrictions on the main road.

Now I do believe that if there are hazards or people are working, that the signs need to be there and drivers do need to heed the signs and, also be alert for workers with shovels or other tools that may inadvertantly stick out but please, when the day is done then remove the restriction.

cheers
AnswerID: 511398

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:23

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:23
Gday
Ill Wes is a road flow control design engineer , he told me the other day that the company he works for loose at least one control person per year through a lack of concentration and speed . Concentrate and stick to the limit posted and all will be ok.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511400

Reply By: bgreeni - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:29

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:29
One that worries me is signage for works on the freeway I travel regularly.

It consists of one 60 sign set low down on the left hand side of the freeway. No hope of seeing it from the right hand lane if their is traffic in the left lane.
AnswerID: 511401

Follow Up By: Smouch - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:35

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:35
For some reason up here in FNQ this seems to happen quite a bit.
Signs left overnight when there is no work or workers present. Another thing that irks me is speed reduction signs ridiculously way ahead of the work area. I have seen reduction sign 1.5Ks away from the work area. Totally unrealistic and then they wonder why people speed thru the road work zones.
Don't get wrong, if conditions poor and or workers are present we should obey them to letter of the law, after all it is a work place and safety of them and you is paramount.
FollowupID: 789626

Reply By: John E - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 20:51

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 20:51
When we were leaving Mt Surprise , on our last trip up that way , we came upon a red traffic light , stopped there for 40 minutes , tried calling on radio , no answer , too nervous to proceed , only 3 vehicles came through from other direction ,so we decided to proceed .After 1 klm , saw the light was green other end , so it was a no win situation for people coming from our way , What would others have done ?
AnswerID: 511409

Follow Up By: Bruce-n-Bundi - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 22:28

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 22:28
Came across the same thing down the Wide Bay Highway last weekend. Traffic lights showing red, 3 cars lined up for 10 minutes, problem was we could see cars lined up coming the other way as they had a red also. And this was on a Sunday afternoon. Someone called the number on the lights and a recording said to call back in Business hours.

A B Double pulled up next to us and said "follow me, the lights have been stuck on red all weekend."
FollowupID: 789657

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:10

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:10
Travelled today from Caboolture to Hervey Bay on the Bruce Highway, several sections were posted as "no lines", 40 or 60 or 80k's, other sections, no lines, no restrictions at all, what the ......... atleast be consistent............

then there is the speed restrictions and no passing for long sections because of poor road conditions, don't get me started on them............
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511412

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 06:09

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 06:09
Complain to the families of the Traffic Controllers who are killed / injured every year by the "oh there is no work going on ,can't see the need for the slow down so I'll save 60sec of my life brigade" !!!
AnswerID: 511430

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 09:26

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 09:26
Does not matter what the speed limit sign reads, have patience, unless you come to a complete stop you will get to the other end.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511436

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 10:24

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 10:24
Spot on Doug, is everyone really in that much of a hurry? Shouldn't plan travelling to such a strict timeline.

Peter
FollowupID: 789676

Follow Up By: Bruce-n-Bundi - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 11:20

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 11:20
Two hours and ten minutes to drive from Childers to Maryborough on Friday was a bit rich though for 62 km and FIVE lots of roadworks.
FollowupID: 789683

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 11:27

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 11:27
The M2 freeway in Sydney has been undergoing substantial upgrade road works for quite some time, and this is being done almost around the clock.

Many ignore the speed signs despite the fact there are many workers moving around close to the traffic. The speed signs are in place for their protection, only ignorant people ignore them!

AnswerID: 511437

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 12:34

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 12:34
It would see all those extra road works on the M2 and it associated delay in the end were to just add a bus lane and no extra lanes for other vehicles.

Garry
FollowupID: 789688

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 13:16

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 13:16
More than that I suspect, but either way, a speed sign is a speed sign, I guess...
FollowupID: 789691

Reply By: allein m - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 13:06

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 13:06
I am not sure about this but I think a lot of local shire leave the signs up if there is any damage to a section of road that may injure you or damage your car because of insurance example you ignore a sign write your car off after hitting a pot hole or loose gravel you did ignored the sign and you have no claim against the shire that covers that area

not sure but I think it might be close to the mark
AnswerID: 511441

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 17:02

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 17:02
I go to Sydney on a regular basis for footy and treatment. There is a section on the Hume Highway near Mittagong that has lots of signs for roadworks and posted at 80 kph. I have not yet in six months seen anyone working there, eating there, having a cuppa there, sitting there or even parked there. No roads under the highway where the workers can hide. Too rugged. And I am not talking about midnight either.

Explain that one!!

I slowed to 80 for the first few weeks but now I just sit with the traffic at 110.

I don't mind if it is necessary but this one is ridiculous.

Phil
AnswerID: 511452

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 18:27

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 18:27
would they be covering the back of the local council if you damage your car on that section of road is there any possible places that you may damage your car ?
FollowupID: 789715

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 18:33

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 18:33
Not a bump or even a stone out of place. No visible road works at all. Just the signs on the side of the road. No witches hats. No holes.

Phil
FollowupID: 789716

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 20:10

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 20:10
Phil,
I know you are talking about. We had one with changed traffic conditions. 80 kph after it was full finished. Those signs were in place for 6 months.

We all know why the signage is there but some, no a lot of it is rubbish.

I won't go into detail as it would break my fingers typing. How many have come across reduced speed signs that last for 3 k and all you we see are 2 witches hats. How many times have I come across reduced speed signs because of no line markings. One area I know had no lines for 2 years but no signs. How many times do you come across reduce speed signs that are placed kilometres before the road works because they are going to work on that section in a couple of weeks. Now some might get the drift why trucks and others that no the area don't slow down.

You even get the new stop go police that can't even guess what speed you are doing. One threw a wobbly in the Territory in a 40 zone. His arms were flailing about like a windmill. I thought Don Quixote was coming. Looked at my speedo and it said 38 kph. I couldn't stop but I said to the guy at the other end to get that guys head reassessed. Then there was the lovely lady just before Townsville that did the same. Look at the speedo this time 42 kph. Me thinks wow. See yells something about 40. I replied you are not 40 you look closer to 60. Then I decamped quickly.

There are faults on both sides. Traffic control make bad mistakes as well. Some of them can be down right lazy. NOTE the word some.

Things I noticed often. Water over the road. Fail! Not for the last 2 weeks anyway. Road deteriorates ahead. Fail! you reduce speed only to find the road better than you were driving on. Road works ahead. Fail! not in the next 100k anyway. 60 Kph sign but no release at the other end, technically that speed is enforced until you see another sign.

The best I heard was Between Bowen and Ayr when a traffic controller called up a truck and said. Don't worry about the 60 kph signs as we won't be working here today. Guess what Mister Hop would have said when the driver tried to explain why he was doing 40 kph over the limit. Answer from Mr John Hop. You sunshine have just lost your livelihood.

Yes, people speed through roadworks and should be pinged. BUT! Traffic controllers also have to know what they are doing and be responsible for what they did or didn't do.

Traffic controllers also have to know what speed to post and the distances the signs should be at each end of the roadworks.

I just see it as it is.

FollowupID: 789719

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 19:18

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 19:18
Gday
L'LL Wes , the traffic design engineer, told me today, if the man with the shovel sign is displayed the people are working, if the man with the shovel sign is not there, the men are not working, that is the only sign removevd at the end of the shift.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511462

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 08:33

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 08:33
Each state and territory has a ' Manual for the placement of uniform traffic control devices' which by law traffic control companies/contractors have to follow down to the letter , the problem is that in a lot of instances the work site does not allow the correct placement or removal of the signage for a compounding of reasons , to all you lot complaining , read the manual , do a traffic control course and just spend 1 8/12hr shift on a busy road doing stop/go and then we will see how your attitude has changed along with you underwear as a fool drives past you at speed...........
AnswerID: 511497

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:53

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:53
Gday,
I wouldn't have thought it was rocket science?
Unless you want to take the risk of fines, having an accident or killing someone......."A"
AnswerID: 511800

Sponsored Links