Uniden Radio Installation Advice

Hi All,

I'm getting a radio installed this Friday and am weighing up the pros and cons of these two:

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/Uniden-UH7700-NB-UHF-CB-Radio-(-Free-Delivery-)

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/Uniden-UH7760-NB-UHF-CB-Radio-(Free-Delivery)

The first one can be mounted vertically on the centre console up under the dash while the second one can obviously be hidden away, am looking for good points and bad points and people's experiences/installations with either radio.

I will be buying as a bundle package with aerial and the cost difference will be approx. $100.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Weavey72 - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 18:58

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 18:58
Sorry guys, initial links aren't working so try these:

UH7700NB

UH7760NB

Cheers, Lloyd
AnswerID: 511534

Follow Up By: escapesilv - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 19:43

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 19:43
Hi Weavey 72

Have a look at GME TX3100 very compact.

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 789794

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 20:09

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 20:09
The cost of the solutions you have shown, reflect the level of quality you will most likely receive.

What do I mean by this?
You can buy, based on price, or based on quality.

It would appear that Uniden have priced their units to be considerably cheaper than the opposition brands such as GME and Icom.

I have previously purchased from Prestige which is a well known and reputable company and their prices are hard to beat.

I will eventually be upgrading my 40 channel unit for the new 80 channel standard, but my preference is for the GME brand which is made and supported in Australia. It is however, considerably more expensive than the Uniden models you have identified.
I use a remote head unit, where the main unit is mounted up behind the dash against the firewall and only the head unit needs mounting in a suitable place. On my vehicle I chose the rear of the centre console, close to the dash and siliconed the support bracket to the console. The remote head then attaches to the bracket and the mic to the remote head.

GME also have a unit where all controls are on the mic, but again my preference is for an uncluttered mic which has the basic controls of the push to transmit button and channel up/down selector. All other controls are on the remote head unit, which is in easy reach.

If you get the opportunity, visit a local vendor of UHF equipment where you can hear the difference in output quality of the speakers in the different systems.

The Uniden (I had one in my previous vehicle) is just not up to the same clarity of the GME I now use. Maybe It's just me as I get older and the hearing fades a bit, but the speaker is actually in the main unit which I have stated, is up under the dash and yet I can hear it clearly.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511538

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 22:13

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 22:13
Weavey - you'll have to search but similar questions regarding unit V mic operations have been discussed here before. I think the general preference was for the uncluttered mic as Bill says but if you have mounting options it's probably down to what you like. I prefer the clean mic setup as well.

My GME (and probably many other UHF radios) has an outlet for a remote speaker plug and that is how mine is currently configured. I installed a small, cheap cube speaker which can be angled up and down near the gear stick because the unit speaker was muffled where I mounted it in my Jack. Works well.

In very general terms of "quality" Icom > GME > Uniden.
FollowupID: 789804

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 06:04

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 06:04
Hi Weavey

Icom x 2

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 789817

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:14

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:14
Hiya Bill
Just for your information...All the GME radios are 'assembled' in Australia. The sub-assemblys are manufactured overseas!!

FollowupID: 789834

Reply By: bluefella - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 06:50

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 06:50
If you buy the UH7760NB, depending on where you mount it (mines under the drivers seat) you may need the extension MIC. lead, this ext. lead is not sold by prestige but can be purchased from UNIDEN online.
I have used UNIDEN for many years and no problems.
AnswerID: 511555

Follow Up By: bluefella - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 08:02

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 08:02
Looking at the rear of the 7760 it may not have the ext. lead for mic. available? mine is the 7740 with added remote mic. and ext. lead. The remote mic. replaced the original mic.
FollowupID: 789824

Follow Up By: dagree - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 23:24

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 23:24
Have used Uniden for years with no problems also. Have had one GME unit and would say they are both good units from my experience. Just purchased a 7760NB on the weekend and it came with the ext cord for the MIC. Will be installing it next weekend. Have an extension speaker available to fit if remote MIC speaker is a little hard to hear.
FollowupID: 789932

Sponsored Links