Cape York - no wet season? How dry are the tracks this year?

I've been following the weather and I saw that this year there was either a late wet, or 'No Wet' on the Cape this year. So I'm wondering how that leaves the creek crossings in July/August?

I think a few have permanent water (eg Nolans, Elliott Falls), but in general, are the crossings dried out or wet? Are creeks swimmable? (We have been before and loved swimming up the Telegraph Track). Are tracks extra dry or just muddy?

Or, will it be such a late wet that there are lots of showers into July? Anyone with local knowledge care to comment? Will Coen and Archer Rivers still be flowing?

We are planning a 6 week trip in July/August, leaving Brisbane the first week of July.

Cheers,
Liz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dingojim - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 05:03

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 05:03
Hi Liz and all. We are just starting to make our way up the cape and talking to the locals it's been a fizzer of a wet season. I know in Cardwell it was a non event with only 1 decent drop and that was about 200mm with ex cyclone Oswald in late January. You have to remember that up this way anything less than 50mm is classed as a heavy dew. General consensus though is that the roads ,at least as far as Archer River, are as good as they've ever been. The free camp at Rifle Creek is about 75% full and most seemed to be heading further north. For current info on state of the rivers a bit closer to your travel time I suggest phone calls to Archer River Roadhouse and Coen Pub, nothing like local knowledge when in this area. Cheers.
AnswerID: 511552

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:22

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:22
have a look at the cook shire web site. It will probably give you more up to date advice than the armchair experts on this site

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511580

Follow Up By: Member - Cliff H - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 13:08

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 13:08
Must have been some heavy rains because the Cook Shire has moved down into South Australia (check the hotlink in your post!)
FollowupID: 790817

Follow Up By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 13:18

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 13:18
I had a sarcastic reply from Cliff H, Check facts elsewhere as the Cook shire via Google is in Cooktown FNQ.

Thank u (sarcasm is here )

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790819

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 05:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 05:00
Michael, if you follow the link for Cook in your post, it takes you to Cook, South Australia. Think that maybe what Cliff H was referring too.............
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790895

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:32

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:32
last week i read a post on another forum from a person who had just driven up to The Cape via the Telegraph Track, below is some of what the post said....
" I'm up here travelling with Hema, updating the Cape York maps. Apparently we're the first up the OTT this year.

Epic mud and high water in the crossings. Here is the Palm Creek exit. 4 hours of winching to get two vehicles across this creek!

Cockatoo Creek had an epic entry from the south as well, lots of mud. More updates from further north - had to go back to Weipa to replace a clutch.

Carlisle

# Gunshot...easy if you take the left line. The far right one (from MySwag CY trip memory) is a write-off until someone digs it out or drops a few fourbies down it.

Carlisle "
AnswerID: 511594

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 19:30

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 19:30
Rivers are good now. Coen will be a dribble come late July, you'll still get wet in the Archer (you may have to lie down and roll around). We are still getting showers up north this week (everywhere north of Musgrave). Dont put any money on rain in July - that rarely happens. Some tele track creeks will still have a metre of water in them in July.
On a positive note - the roads are in good condition.

Some links you prolly wont need

Cape River Heights

Tip Weather

AnswerID: 511616

Sponsored Links