Road conditions Broken Hill to Alice Springs

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:23
ThreadID: 102366 Views:2903 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi travellers

Yesterday we stayed at the Mungo National Park between Broken Hill and Mildura. It rained overnight, and we had some fun trying to get out on 60kms and slippery mud road. All the dirt roads between BH, Mildura, Menindee and Wentworth have been closed, and could be closed for several days.

Since the weather seemed to be coming from the NW and we were planning to head towards Alice on the back tracks, I was wondering if anyone can report on road conditions between Broken Hill, Wilpena Pound, Maree, Coober Pedy, etc?

If the rain has been through there, we'll have to stay on the bitumen.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rob
Rob and Rita - semi-retired telecommuting from anywhere!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leanne M - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:39

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:39
Hi, I believe some parts of the Oodnadatta track are closed, best to check on Transport SA website for a full list. Leanne
AnswerID: 511633

Reply By: new boy - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 09:11

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 09:11
We are at Hawker and yesterday went to Blinman on the bituman and back through Glass gorge to Parachilna down the bitumen again and back through Moralana rd to Hawker. It drizzled and rained all day the gravel roads got worse as the day went on slippery but not impassable .This morning is overcast which could lead to scattered showers but not as bad as yesterday.
AnswerID: 511651

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:08

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:08
It has been raining since 6 or 5 am solid here in Broken hill so tiboburra might be closed it has been wet on and off for the past 3 days
AnswerID: 511656

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:28

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:28
just got back home checked out tiboburrra road is closed to traffic
FollowupID: 789947

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 20:44

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 20:44
Left Menindi on Tuesday for Broken Hill to avoid bring rained in on the lakes or the Darling. Good decision. Has been raining from Tues pm to this morning. And blowing a cold gale. All dirt roads around BH closed.

It cleared up this arvo and its windy, so maybe roads will dry out and re-open soon. The CP is ok but I'd rather be elsewhere.

Saw a lot of interesting stuff here, heaps of history and very talented artists in BH and surrounds. Check out the Big Picture at the mint - how can one man have so much talent?. Cafe at Silverton is A1, as is the Broken Earth cafe/restaurant and miners memorial on the dirt pile above the Line Of Lode.

Wanted to see Daydream Mine but the road was closed. Maybe next time.

This is visit #3 and we're not done yet - will be back.

Glad for the locals they got the rain they have been praying for.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789981

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:39

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:39
if you are still in town the new shopping center will be a sight to see they plan on blasting some rock on site 11 am and 3 pm today

the rain was very welcome
FollowupID: 790000

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 18:58

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 18:58
well the sun is out roads will be dry soon and i can see the weeds busting them self to pop out tomorrows job round up around the place weeds are bad out this way after a little rain you can loose control so easy
FollowupID: 790041

Sponsored Links