round Australia

Submitted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 18:54
ThreadID: 102376 Views:1707 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

We are planning our trip of a life time around Australia, we are slowly getting things together.
We are going in a 2010 Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Tambo camper trailer, but are wondering if a Jayco or Coromal camper van would be a better option, as they are quicker to set up for overnights, but will they take all the corrugation they will be put through.
All comments appreciated.

Cheers Rob

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Upo - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 19:35

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 19:35
Hi Rob
All the caravan service people I have had dealings with have never had too many good things to say about Jayco. I know there are lots on the road and many people may be well satisfied with them. We looked at a one a few years ago and bought a Goldstream. There was no comparison. Never had a problem with it. I wouldn't be confident taking a Jayco off the bitumen. Can"t comment on Coramal but even so would put them in front of a Jayco.
Enjoy your trip.
Cheers Upo
AnswerID: 511682

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 20:51

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 20:51
G'day Rob
I agree with UPO. For something quick to set up a Tvan is quick but it too has limitations for storage and is more expensive. I have seen bigger units like Jayco, break axles because of their design of suspension. Hard, unyielding, short, many leaves in the springs, isn't a good combination in a so called outback campervan.
I helped repair one at Kings Canyon resort, just plain poorly designed suspension.

I am not aware of anything Coromal makes that I would be happy towing off the bitumen too far. I had a small Coromal van with so called "independent suspension", solid axle would have been better.

Whatever you choose try to get bigger section tyres ie larger aspect ratio, coils or long leaf springs and shock absorbers.

Ross M
AnswerID: 511697

Sponsored Links