Diesel and road conditions Gasgoyne Junction and Mt Augustus

Submitted: Friday, May 24, 2013 at 08:41
ThreadID: 102384 Views:3421 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering whether there is diesel available at Gasgoyne Junction as I know the floods a few years ago there destroyed most of the town. Also is there diesel at Mt Augustus? and at Mt Cobra station? my maps say there is but I know not to trust maps!

From Gasgoyne Junction, what are the dirt roads like through to Mt Augustus please? We know they are dirt and that rain changes conditions quickly, also to drop tyre pressure. Just enquiring as to the general state given dry weather, as we have found WA dirt roads generally in great condition.

We have a Jayco outback 20 ft van and would like to see Mt Augustus, having visited the Kennedy Ranges some years ago when we were in WA.

We would be travelling from Carnarvon then back to the West Coast probably by the same route unless someone has information about Lyndon and connecting roads to Cobra Station, also any diesel along this route. With a Pajero we are limited as to what distance we can travel between fuel stops although will be carrying an extra 40 litres.
Thanks in advance for replies.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The evil Doctor - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:17

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:17
Yes the junction has fuel however it's a shire run establishment.

They basically shafted the owner of the washed away pub/roadhouse.

As for the road, can't help ya there as I was up that way for the Gas Dash.

Doc.

AnswerID: 511721

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 11:30

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 11:30
Sounds he got some of his own treatment of travellers back then if he got shafted. His prices for fuel and grog were outrageous compared to Carnarvon even taking into account distance. His attitude wasn't much either.
Must go back that way soon as it's good country through there.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 790010

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:15

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:15
Our information will be two years old but any little helps right? I think the one important thing you need to know, as I've posted before, is that although mentioned on maps etc. and posted locally by shire, you CAN'T get fuel at Cobra Station unless pre-ordered. You can ring Jim and get more info on the reasons why etc. or to order some. As far as I can remember it was red tape and the shire that were making his life difficult. You can get fuel at Mount Augustus.
We did the route from Cobra, where we stayed, onto Coral Bay. We took the Lyndon Road and it was heavily corrugated. Slow going, back our van made it through with no damage. Obviously that may have changed by now.
Have a great trip, and if you make Cobra, say hi to Jim for us.
AnswerID: 511732

Reply By: Member - sparra - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:35

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:35
I was through that way last month,i turned off just south of minilya,through wandagee,williambury stations and turned right onto the cobra road at lyndon.
The road from lyndon to mt augustus was in good nick except for a short section between lyndon and marangaroon. Not sure if they had a bit of rain through there last week or not.
There is fuel at mt augustus,i never stopped ,headed over dooley downs,pingandy to ashburton downs then wittenoom,auski ,newman
Just take it easy with the van and you should be right,it's a nice drive.

cheers,
sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511738

Reply By: Derek Jones - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:09

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:09
Through there in late April.

Diesel at My Augustus @$2/l - we were happy to pay to help maintain a service in a 'remote' area.
We were advised there is no fuel at Cobra - rang the station.
Fuel at Gascoyne Junction (weekdays only - there is an after hours mobile contact number with service surcharge added onto price.) From memory price was reasonable but check Shire opening hours.

A new service station/store is being built at Gascoyne at the moment. Was due to be opened in May. Not sure if it is still on schedule or has in fact opened.

At the time we travelled the Gascoyne Junction Shire roads were all in excellent condition. The road between Mt Augustus and Meekatharra/Asburton Downs Rd is winds and has a few dips and gullies in it. So you will find yourself down to 30/40km ph in places.

The bulk of the Meekatharra/Ashburton Downs Rd was in very good condition.

The only exception to the good road part is the area around the Mt Augustus & Meeka/Ashburton Downs interestion. Methinks Shire of Meekatharra hadn't yet graded that part of the road when we went through.

There has been some recent rain in the area so conditions may have changed.
AnswerID: 511798

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 23:37

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 23:37
Thanks everyone...much appreciated.

I will check it all out when we get to Carnarvon and just before we intend travelling there.
regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511825

Sponsored Links