Heading to Darwin

Submitted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 21:40
ThreadID: 102432 Views:1830 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up to Kakadu and Darwin in late July this year via the Great central Rd and would like to know of any places other than Alice Springs worth visiting.Travelling with hilux closely followed by my camper(hope its behind me)with my wife in the passenger seat.

Plan is, after leaving Perth to head up past Alice (been to here before but no further)to Katherine then to Kakadu and making it to Darwin.So want to know where to visit after leaving Alice while heading north.

Thanks for any idea's
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 07:58

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 07:58
I think you might want to let folks know how long you will be on the road for. Also just what sort of thing you like, walking, 4x4, caravan parks/free camping etc
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511904

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:06

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:06
Hi yu 525,
While passing through Katherine you would have to do the Katherine Gorge boat trip, or at least drive out to the area for a look.
Some 40ks north if Katherine turn right for 20ks to Edith Gorge, great swimming hole worth a night or two.
Litchfield National Park is a must visit.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 511908

Reply By: Peterpan - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:24

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:24
Hi . Following the other replies check Barrow Ck , The Marbles , Daly Waters pub good campsite and entertainment , Larimah hotel highest bar in NT , Never Never Graves at Elsey also Mataranka Springs campsite . There are many historical explorers and WW 2 sites etc along the road . There are many interesting WW2 sites to see at Darwin . Adelaide R War cemetery is worth a look . Paintings and escarpement at Ubirr near Cahills Crossing is good ,also Merle campsite has showers and toilets . You have many interesting places to google and check on . Fuel was cheaper at Tennant Ck than Three Ways .Make up your own mind what to see and have an enjoyable trip .
AnswerID: 511917

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 07:47

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 07:47
Visit Ubir, but do NOT camp at Merle,, YOU WILL BE EATEN ALIVE!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

FollowupID: 790270

Reply By: RodnSue - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:34

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:34
Hi 525
Besides the suggestions put forward by Baz & Peterpan, may I suggest you sometimes call into the info centres in towns. The Katherine info centre is great as it has booklets, maps etc on all the likely places that are suggested here & many other places as far as Darwin.
There are a few other camp grounds in Kakadu besides Merle, but a Kakadu map from the info centre should show the places to stay that will suit you. We didn't pre book the national park campgrounds or any other camp spot in NT for that matter as we were self sufficient with our power.

Enjoy your trip
Sue
www.ournomadicways.blogspot.com if you have time to whet your appetite on what we experienced in 2011.
AnswerID: 511936

Reply By: 525 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:02

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:02
Thanks all for your response to my post,some great info.In answering the question on how long ,heading off on long serivce leave for about 6wks from Perth to Darwin then back to Perth via the WA coast(through gibb river rd).

Again thanks to all
AnswerID: 511962

Sponsored Links