maps...jump on me but..who does the best map for

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:03
ThreadID: 10252 Views:2050 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
simpson desert ..who does the best map for same. Going there around April....probably french line not sure if east to west ot tuther way round yet. Travelling in LUX...ury, all 3 ltrs of it. Thanks for replies. (thought...if ya think it,s wrong it probably is) oh and can I get the permits I need to travel my own country as I get there, or need I do the Nazi thing and get one more piece of paper from the authorities!!! before I move anywhere. I don,t mind if the money goes to the parks and roads etc, it,s just the can't go lest I get a permit thing. So dumb when you look at the globe from the moon, and get it all in perspective....... please let there be another planet out there somwhere, made just for people who need to wander in thier 4bies....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:29

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:29
Uther
Uther
The Desert Parks Pass is needed for access to the Simpson & is an excellent package & very good value.
Costs ~$85 & comes with a comprehensive set of "West-Print Maps" which will be sufficient. I understand that they are being continually updated with GPS locations of the main intersections & places of interest etc ; etc:
You will appreciate the quality of the SA Nat Parks & Wildlife Service facilities at Dalhousie which you could say is partly paid for by the subscription.
Heres hoping that Poeppels Corner will get some compost loos before too much longer ; it was rife with half buried "confetti" in 2002. I guess if we all buy these passes, Qld, SA & NT may be able to pool resources & do something about it ?
Sorry to get off the Map thread but one thing leads to another ---------------

Regards

John
AnswerID: 45345

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:47

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:47
Cost is now $90 and is avialble from this site. It includes several maps and as you must have it to travel in the dest it is the best place to start. Have a look at Desert Parks Pass.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 307437

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:14

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:14
With the weather the way it is out there at the moment no one is going anywhere. We also have similar plans but are leaving our purchasing until near departure date just in case we have to call it off & go elsewhere. Otherwise you do your $$ for this year.
That correct David ??

Check the recent posts by Ruth who has her big toe in the water out there.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 307448

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:18

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:18
I would not be too worried it usually gets very wet in this area at this time of the year.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 307449

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:18

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:18
I buy a combined Desert Parks Pass and State Wide Parks Pass every year. It would cost $170 first up and then $135 every year thereafter. I get it at a concession rate of $105. It is worth its weight in gold for camping in SA and you get lots of info with it. I do not access the areas every year but buy the Passes as an ongoing thing just incase.

Cheers,

Willem1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
FollowupID: 307461

Reply By: Richard - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:05

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:05
paid $32 for a desert pass in 2001 for a trip to coongie lakes. $90 now seems a bit rich.
AnswerID: 45350

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:22

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:22
Richard the pass that you acquired for this is not a full desert parks pass - you got a multi day Coongie lakes camping pass. The full DPP for 2001 was I think $55. It is now $90. We don't set the price! You do however get a load of info and maps in the full DPP package. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 307451

Reply By: David O - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:35

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:35
We will be there April/ May doing the Simpson crossing in early May. Certainly hoping for things to dry out by then. I've seen the deserts pass and it is a great package.
AnswerID: 45366

Reply By: Member - David - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:20

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:20
Uther,
We went through the Simpson last september and I found the Deserts Parks Pass good value. It is more than just a pass, the maps are good but the pass also comes with a wealth of other information on the parks and wild life. Also, I found the trek notes from this site invaluable, make sure you print them out and take them with you, they saved us a lot of extra miles and worry when we got around 2 inches of rain at Poepples Corner. I can also recomend Hema Maps, also available from this site....you can't have too much information or too many good maps.

Cheers and Happy Trails
David
AnswerID: 45389

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:39

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:39
We (the locals) use our maps from our Desert Parks Pass - and yes we do make sure we have them stuck on our windows, we are not exempt, and the reason we have them is SA National Parks do a wonderful job (I'm in Queensland) out here (much better than Queensland Parks believe me) and SA Parks are trying to be self-funding. In the Simpson the Rangers pop up unexpectedly all over the place - not trying to get revenue but actually looking at their Park and what they can do to help. As well as the Pass map of the simpson (which is a Westprint) I use the Hema Great Desert Track of Simpson - these maps are all available here at ExplorOz. Does not the parks pass permit me to wander in any SA NP for 12 months? The number of maps alone makes it worthwhile - then I'm a map freak.(On the down-side the cost of cleaning up the Desert - general rubbish, stoves, fridges, caravans, trailers and b....y toilet paper probably doesn't cover the money).Sorry to mention the rubbish so early in the season - and don't anyone come back and tell me it biodegrades. I pay for my Parks Pass but I get really cheesed off when I found that when I check my bank balance in a small town with no bank and use a private ATM I get charged $1.50 each transaction. Life's funny like that. See you for a philosophical discussion when you get here.
AnswerID: 45391

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 15:17

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 15:17
HI Ya Ruth
Love reading your notes from afar of the place we all love. If it wasn't so blooby hot during the summer I'd be there in a flash PERMANENTLY.
I'm constantly amazed that there are lots of people who dont burn their toilet paper!!!!!
Anyway keep up the commentary whilst your having a break from us 4wd tourists

regards
jeff
AnswerID: 45432

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 15:17

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 15:17
HI Ya Ruth
Love reading your notes from afar of the place we all love. If it wasn't so blooby hot during the summer I'd be there in a flash PERMANENTLY.
I'm constantly amazed that there are lots of people who dont burn their toilet paper!!!!!
Anyway keep up the commentary whilst your having a break from us 4wd tourists

regards
jeff
AnswerID: 45433

Sponsored Links