Gold Coast to Lawn Hill

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 13:53
ThreadID: 102534 Views:1729 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there , has anyone done this trip lately? Hope to go end of June , in 2WD Territory with 17' onroad van. Hope to stay at freebies or Nat Parks on the way , with a few stops at C Parks to top up batteries and water.Gregory Downs and Lawn Hill Nat P. look good, but don't know about the rest. Any advise or info would be much appreciated. Mixed info on Gregory Downs many saying there's No Camping signs, but others just ignoring them !
Cheers ...... natndavid
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 15:03

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 15:03
There were no camping signs on the river at Gregory Downs when I came through there last year. There were also plenty of people camped there ignoring the signs.

If staying in the National Park at Lawn Hill, just remember that you have to book in advance- either on line or by phone. If it's busy you may need to do it a couple of weeks in advance.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512321

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 17:15

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 17:15
The no camping signs have been there for years and everyone ignores them.

From memory there's really just one creek/dip and you should be ok as long as you have reasonable clearance. Thev weren't all off readers when we were there. If in doubt you could leave your van at Gregory and drive into the gorge. It's only an hour or so away, so you can easily day trip and tbh, I would prefer the Gregory as a camp anyway as long as you are self sufficient
AnswerID: 512322

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 17:18

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 17:18
Offroaders, that should read. Damned iPad
FollowupID: 790666

Reply By: Member - R and R Troop (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:05

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:05
Heading up to Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill NP) from NSW - also in July but via inland Q'ld. Have booked at Adels Grove on recommendation of friends. We last visited Lawn Hill nearly 30 years ago on a tour and said we would return so hoping we arn't disappointed! We won't be taking our caravan this trip just the troopy and oztent!

AnswerID: 512324

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 11:20

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 11:20
Folks,

If you're looking for free camps, and travelling up the Landsborough H'way, I've listed a few below.

Blackall-Barcaldine: 2 spots, both with toilets, one just south of Barcy, and the other about halfway to Blackall.

Barcy-Longreach: 2 w/- toilets, on south side of h'way.

Longreach-Winton: Leander Sandhill, 25k west of L.
Morella, 67k west of L.
Chorregon, about 110k,
Crawford Ck, 45k east of Winton.
All the above have toilets.

Winton-Cloncurry: Bonny Doon Ck, 15k west.(no toilet)
Ayrshire Hills, 65k west.
Wongan Parking Bay, 95k west,
Kynuna East, 153 west
Wild Duck Ck, 30k west of Kynuna,(no toilets)
Fullarton River, 61k east of the Curry.

There are other spots, such as pads for gravel dumps that are suitable for a night. Just be aware that all the ones I've listed are close to the highway, so you'll get some heavy vehicle noise through the night.. Maybe have an extra port, or drop of red, to help you sleep better? Think most of the above would be in Camps 6 book?

Also check out thread 102519 for info on the southern exit from Lawn Hill, onto the Barkly Highway.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512363

Sponsored Links