Going to Birdsville races

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:05
ThreadID: 102538 Views:3035 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
I know its early but just after some info on which way and where to go and what to see on the way to and home from Birdsville. We will be starting out on the 26/8 from the NSW Central Coast and will most likely arrive for the races on 4/9 and leave 10-11th/9 and be home around 21/9. There are some must see places we want to see- Innamincka, Dig Tree - Coongie Lakes, Big Red (want to do the 3 corners) Peopple Corner {spend a night in the desert}/ Haddon Cnr/ Cameron's Cnr while out there as well as Lightning Ridge.
We have a NS Pajero that has 2" lift & HD suspension, Bridgestone AT LT tyres, under body protection, & rock sliders, and will be towing a Cub Off Road Drover Camper Trailer, we have done a few outback trips ( Flinders-Mungo NP-Oodnadatta track, and a few north & south coast NSW beach trips,) and are set up with recovery gear, sat phone, and do carry spares.
Can you help ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 01:09

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 01:09
Hi Tony,

are you going to be in a hurry going up?

Steve
AnswerID: 512352

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 09:17

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 09:17
you can stay at lorne station about 2 klm from the middle of lightning ridge about $10/night power,water showers ,toilets etc approx 10000 acres.
FollowupID: 790693

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 16:01

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 16:01
Hi eighty matey will take about 9/10 days to get there
Thanks
FollowupID: 790717

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 16:04

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 16:04
Thanks also pepper2 Lorne Station sounds good, we be doing as much free camping as possible but a station stay at $10/night I'll take it !
FollowupID: 790718

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 22:08
G'day Tony,

we live on the Central Coast as well.

Here's a few ideas;
- Leave the Coast and head towards Denman and Dunedoo. Head north to Coonabarabran and stay there for the night. Coona is a destination in itself but it's possible to have a good look around for half a day then head north to Pilliga. Camp at the Pilliga Bore Baths. This is a free camp and the baths are great.
- From Pilliga, have a late start and pop into the Cuttabri Wine Shanty for lunch. From there head up to Wee Waa, then west to Burren Junction. Turn to Collarenebri and you can take the dirt road to Lightning Ridge. There's plenty to do in The Ridge to occupy a couple of days. Make sure you visit one of the walk in mines and follow their tourist drives.
- Leave Lightning Ridge and drive up to Goodooga. From Goodooga you can travel through the Culgoa NP to Cunnamulla. The Culgoa NP is pretty remote in itself and you won't come across much traffic. It's dirt all the way from Goodooga to about 60kms from the Mitchell Hwy, then it's 30 km to Cunnamulla. You should be able to make it through to Eulo where you can camp behind the Eulo Queen Hotel for a small fee.
- Eulo is a great little town. The pub has a great feed. The Date Farm has to be seen. There is heaps of "stuff"to check out, as well as the artesian mud baths and the addictive Sticky Date Liqueur.
- After leaving Eulo, turn north to Yowah. Here you can check out some Queensland opal. It's a way smaller set up to The Ridge but it is worth popping into.
- From Yowah, back track a bit then head up to the South Western Hotel at Toompine. That's all that's there. Good beer and good food is all you'll need. If you have time, Quilpie a good spot to check out. More opals but it's not the only thing there. The cake shop/bakery must be visited. The Channel Country Caravan Park is a really good Park. Reasonable rates, friendly hosts, quiet and every other night it has a dinner around the campfire and bush entertainment. There are artesian spas on site to relax in as well.
- After Quilpie you head west to Windorah. You can camp on the banks of the Cooper Creek but it does get busy. If you're there the Wednesday before the Birdsville Races you get to take part in the Yabbie races on the road in front of the pub. Good little town. There'll be a few Police presence and they often test every vehicle leaving town for Birdsville.
- It's a fair drive from Windorah to Birdsville. Make sure you fill up before you leave town. If you have a diesel don't line up in the street. At the top servo there's a high flow diesel pump away from the main building that most people miss.
- The drive out to Birdsville is spectacular. Check out the reddest sand dunes not far west of Windorah. At that time of year there will a fair bit of traffic. There are overtaking opportunities, so it's not worth risking anyone's life trying to overtake if it's not safe to do so. It's a long drive but there is so much to see. If you can, it would pay to get a as much Gidgee timber after Windorah. While you're still on the bitumen you'll pass heaps of gidgee. Take chainsaw if you can, because you'll struggle to cut it with anything less.
- The caravan park gets absolutely chockers when the races are on. You can camp between the race course and the town. In town there are toilets and you can use the caravan park showers for a price. There are buses, again for a small fee, to the races and back. Heaps of Police, so don't drink and drive.

The event is great. If Brophy's Boxing Tent is there it's worth whatever you pay. The whole town has a good tome and the races are worth the trip.

I'll write up a suggestion for a return trip later.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 790954

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 19:58
Thanks Steve for the great info it's just what we're looking at ! We are pretty much self sufficient (solar panels for power and hot water for showers) don't mind not being in town at Birdsville. Don't really like crowds but we've put off going to the races long enough and now it's time to go !
Thanks again and awaiting your return route.
FollowupID: 791019

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:25

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 23:25
G'day again,

I had actually typed up that advice Monday and I thought I'd posted it on the thread but it didn't turn up. I must have posted it on another thread...they'll be wondering what I'm on about.

Anyway, on the way to Birdsville from Windorah you can head down to Haddons Corner to check that off your list. Also, fuel up when you get into town. Unless you're leaving after the crowds have gone, it can be quite a wait to get fuel there in the peak.

The races are a great experience and the crowds are generally really relaxed. Lots of grog gets drunk but in that dry heat one does need to hydrate......
It's is really a great carnival with plenty to do and see.

- When you leave Birdsville, take the Cordillo Downs turn off and head that way. It can rough in parts, so don't try to hurry it. There are historic buildings and sites through this property you can check out. It's a full days drive from Birdsville to Innamincka if you're just taking your time.

- At Innamincka you can camp near the river. That time of the year will have a fair few people floating around due to the race crowd travelling home but there's plenty of room. Things to do in Innamincka are;
-head out to Coongie Lakes, about 110 kms northwest of the"town",
- check out the memorial plaques to expeditions by Charles Sturt in 1845 and Burke and Wills - East along Cooper Creek is Burke's memorial and to the west is Wills'. The famous Dig Tree is just over the Queensland border 70 kilometres from the town. There is also King's Marker, where sole survivor of the Burke and Wills expedition John King was found,
- fuel up. Make sure you have plenty of fuel before you leave.

- To get to Cameron Corner you have a few options. The Bore Track is an access road for oil company vehicles and for property owners. This track is a great alternative to the wide gravel road of the Strzelecki Track which is more a highway than a track. Other options are the Strzelecki Track and the Old Strzelecki Track. For all of these options you'll have to make sure they are open to traffic. I know at times they are closed due to weather, or the owners don't allow traffic through.

- You can camp at Cameron Corner, for a fee, but it's a good experience hanging out at The Corner. You can get a feed, a few beers, donate to the Flying Doctor and take some photos of the area. I like it out there.

I'm heading to bed, so I'll let that sink in and I'll give you more ideas tomorrow if you want.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 791042

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 18:05

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 18:05
Thanks again Steve for your info. Sound good can't wait to go!!
FollowupID: 791116

Sponsored Links