Diesel Fuel

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 20:49
ThreadID: 102558 Views:3634 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Going through the out back upto the Kimberley. Should I take a Mr Funnel with me to filter fuel! Also Vehicle is Landcruiser 200 series and Fuel filter light comes on at 20k interval, on the dot!! (thinking perhaps Toyota have hard wired this warningl. Thinking I should take replacement filter. What do you peeps think.
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 21:44

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 21:44
Hi Ian and Pen

Are you asking about diesel to be purchased from Aboriginal communities on the way to the Kimberley? We have had no problems with diesel, but I have heard reports about problems with outback petrol for sensitive vehicles because the turnover is not great as most outback vehicles are diesel.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512407

Follow Up By: Cole - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 22:00

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 22:00
Hi Ian & Pen

You may find some answers to your ? on http://www.lcool.org/ This is a online site for landcruisers ( land cruiser owners on line) & has a specific section for LC 200s.

I have never heard of the warning light coming on every 20,000Km.

Kind regards

Cole
FollowupID: 790754

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 22:20

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 22:20
I guess I (admit) I place my query on a 4WD course just completed where the instructors recommend? (suggest) a fuel filter be carried. We want to get there and back with as much fun as we can muster, come back and make babies and have an entry into the Guiness book of records (for the babies that is). And while waiting!! look at photo's of the trip.
But yes fuel filter light comes on at 20K.

Thanks for ur answer
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512410

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 06:31

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 06:31
light hard on means blocked filter, flashing light and buzzer is water in trap.
FollowupID: 790774

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 08:37

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 08:37
Dozer

Are you sure mate. Turning on every "20k interval, on the dot!" seems to me to be more likely a computer generated.

Maybe a faulty light circuit or a bug in the software. Only maybe because Ian didn't make it clear if it happened in the city as well. Where it is more likely that the fuel isn't dirty. "Likely" is the word I used.

Phil
FollowupID: 790784

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:09

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:09
I have not heard of this light coming on every 20k km's.
I have a 200 and no 'regular' fuel light comes on at any interval.
Cheers, CJ
FollowupID: 790790

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:18

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:18
Ian and Pen.
We did our Kimberley trip last year. I envy you, it was magic.
We picked up dirty fuel on the Kimberley. I think it was Imintji but it could have been another. I had an extra fuel filter installed which allowed me to drive on to Kununurra.

I have not used a Mr Funnel. One thing to consider though is that at those stations there are often a queue, everybody wanting to get on with their journey. I don't know what their attitude will be towards someone filling up (and taking longer) with a Mr Funnel.

But still, if I was you I'd definitely take some kind of precaution.

Enjoy your trip!

CJ
AnswerID: 512437

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 22:13
Ian

Personally I wouldn't worry about the others having to wait. It's not a pit stop in a Grand Prix.

The only place that I have ever picked up dirty fuel was in Sydney, at one of those cheap stations. Get a new filter installed as part of your pre-trek inspection and service. It may also be handy to take a spare fuel filter with you.

Hint. If you know the place's tank has just been topped up from a tanker go to the end of the line. Odds are that any rubbish has been stirred up and you may get some dirt. Or go and have a cuppa and delay filling up.

I believe that you will be fine up there. Try to top up in busy places where the chance of getting dud fuel is less likely.

Phil
FollowupID: 790887

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:37

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:37
Hi Ian & Pen. I also have 200 series and have had issues with fuel filiter warning. Not as you described, but it was doing the job it was supposed to. We are going to the Kimberley in September and I'll be taking x2 Spare fuel filters. We picked up dirty fuel in Paynes Find last time and it was a headache.
My mate works at Toyota and is tight with the mechanics. On one visit the guy gave me a few pointers and said it is worth purging the filter housing regularly to keep the sensor from over reactiing. It gets all the sediment out of the housing thus helps prolong the life of the filter.
AnswerID: 512439

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 15:49

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 15:49
Hi Ian

On my V8 diesel landcruiser (its a ute but same motor) I have two spare fuel filters vacuum packed with me at all times. Also you need to familiarise yourself with how to change the filter as it is inside a canister and requires an Allen key. Plus there is a method of getting that light to turn off after changing the filter.

I carry a Mr Funnel with me at all times. I have picked up dirty fuel in Meekatharra once when the town was really low and only one outlet still had some fuel. Took weeks of purging to get rid of the diesel algae. Wish I had of run the fuel through the Mr Funnel first but I did not have one back then.

I also have a "Water Fuel Watch" system installed on my fuel line. An audible alarm will sound off in the cab if there is even one drop of water detected in the fuel long before it gets to the motor.

So yes - take care of your motor - its a long walk back.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512458

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 17:28

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 17:28
Thanks heaps Pal, I think your answer is the one to take heed off!! Better be safe than sorry, the peeps queing behind me at the Bowser will have to be patient. They could well be thankful if we meet them on the dirt and need good fuel to keep them going!!!!!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512467

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 18:04

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 18:04
Reprogram the fuel light warning interval in the ecu.
FollowupID: 790862

Follow Up By: Ian and Pen - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:49

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:49
Thanks J&R, you know iv'e been to places! on bikes, mountains, motor cycles in Sth America. Been to China, Had honeymoon Cycling thru" Vietnam, walked in Cambodia, watched sunsets in Bali and Indonesia Been to art gallerys , London, Vienna, New york, Paris!!!

Reprogram the fuel light warning interval in the ecu?.

Would not have a clue!!

When you are in Southern Highlands come and stay have a glass of wine with us and knock some info into me.

Regards Ian & Pen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790886

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 20:59
All due respect to J&R,
But I don't believe you can reprogram the ECU..... you simply cant!!! The fuel filter light comes on when there is a restriction in the filter...... there is NO predetermined km's that it comes on.... get a bad load of fuel @5000k's it will come on.... some people get 50,000k's before the light comes on.
There is NO mention or requirement for regular replacement in the Toyota service schedule.
Carry a spare filter & a 5mm allen key.... the only tool tool (& a couple of clean rags) required to replace the filter.
Have a look at www.lcool.org (200 section) on how to replace filter & reset the warning light..... very easy process..... only takes a few minutes on the side of the road.
Bad fuel will KILL a CRD in no time :-(
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790948

Follow Up By: Ian and Pen - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 04:41

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 04:41
Thanks Tony, Have applied for registration at lcool, am waiting on acceptance and will have a look.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790957

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 20:03

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 20:03
We use a Mr filter everywhere as there's always a chance of sediment being picked up particularly if there has been a large fuel drop into the underground tanks in the last few hours or so. We've seen dodgy fuel in plenty of places and with the extremely low tolerance to it with all direct injection engines it's a cheap piece of insurance when you appreciate the cost and havoc bad fuel can create

If you get the right capacity Mr Filter you can pour straight in from the pump and there's virtually no loss of filling performance

Always carry a spare fuel filter or two. They can be used at subsequent services

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 512473

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:52

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:52
Thanks roba

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512486

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 11:26

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 11:26
Having had a fuel contamination issue in the past which cost the insuranve company heaps I have always fitted a pre filter & water trap, for the few hundred dollars it gives you peace of mind just check the bowl a few klms after fueling up. A 200 series with a contamination issue will usually cost into the high $ teens to fix so take every precaution can.
Cheers Jim
AnswerID: 512496

Sponsored Links