Drinking Water - Oodnadatta Track

Soon to leave on our trip to Central Aust via Oodnadatta Track and am reading and hearing conflicting reports on where drinking water (to fill up gerry cans etc) is available. We will be coming up via Wilpena, Leigh Creek, and stopping over-night at Marree, William Creek and Oodnadatta before hitting Marla. 3 young kids and 2 adults, so need to be stocked.

Cheers & beers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gclan - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 16:04

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 16:04
Hi Marts

We're doing the Oodnadatta track as well in a few weeks, and I'm not sure about all places, but was told not to drink the water at Marree by a friend who'd been through there in previous years.

The Marree Hotel website also says to buy cask water for drinking water.

Surely if they all use bore water, it would be the same quality everywhere...or is it?

I'd also be interested to hear where to fill up with fresh, safe drinking water.

Cheers
Karen
AnswerID: 512459

Follow Up By: ferris - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 18:38

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 18:38
Ah no, bore water varies in quality and taste from the best quality pure spring water, through to stuff that really couldn't be described as water. Some of it is saltier than the sea. There's plenty of water out there, you've just got to look a little bit and plan ahead.
FollowupID: 790865

Follow Up By: ferris - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 18:48

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 18:48
Forgot to mention that some of the water won't taste as good as that in Melbourne in Sydney, but it is still quite drinkable. The good people at Marree have got used to the taste of their water, which is quite drinkable just has a taste and is a bit harsh for washing. Just a tip, keep a small supply of your good water for drinking, making cup of tea etc and use the local water for cooking and washing.

Some places may charge a couple of dollars to fill up, but so what. They have to pay their water rates and get hundreds of requests for water every tourist season.

Whatever you do, if you are offered rain water out there, be very grateful and don't waste it. The stuff is precious.
FollowupID: 790866

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 20:29

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 20:29
gclan,
Will give you an insight into bore water.

I survived drinking bore water that was radio active and for 12 months unbeknown to me. Then I copped a lot that was way over the maximum
world limit for fluoride content over a period of 6 months. The fluoride was naturally occurring.

I had an old fella come out of the scrub in the middle of nowhere as I was getting water from a windmill. I wasn't going to use it for drinking.

His words were, hell don't drink that water as I don't even know how it doesn't kill my cattle. The old fella was the legendary Jim McDonald.

Some bore water is great but some is not to good at all.
FollowupID: 791487

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 16:26

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 16:26
Marts 09,

Take plenty of water and you will need to buy containers of water which can be done at those places.

Whenever we travel that way we take our own water and if needed buy drinking water where we can.

Di
AnswerID: 512461

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 19:40

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 19:40
We carry water for general duties like washing and cleaning and buy cask or bottled water for drinking. That way you don't need to be fussy about the water you are refilling with plus the last thing you need is getting sick from drinking poor quality water.
AnswerID: 512472

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 22:03

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 22:03
My pick would be the either the Leigh Creek servo or the Copley servo (both fed from the LC reservoir)...have filled my van's tanks there a few times after buying fuel....just ask nicely....people north of Copley rely on rainwater.....the bore water is quite terrible. If stuck, roadhouses up north carry packs of drinking water.
AnswerID: 512487

Reply By: Member - Mike R2 - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 16:02

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 16:02
Gooday, Just come back from the track, If your itinerary allows it try and stay overnight at Cowards Springs, you and the kids, would definitely enjoy it. The water at Lyndhurst is not too bad, the publican at the hotel allowed us to fill a jerry can. Sorry I have no more info.

Regards

Mike n Lyn
AnswerID: 512511

Reply By: Ajay and Fletch - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:19

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:19
I am probably speaking to one who knows but just in case, when you carry your water in your vehicle, use containers no larger that 10 litres each. If you use larger containers, should one develop a leak, you lose far too much of the precious stuff.

Regards ... Ajay.
Ajay & Fletch with BT in tow.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512897

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:58

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:58
The main thing is to 'ask' before turning the tap on ,be it a servo or a water tank sitting in the scrub ,
AnswerID: 512910

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:39

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 19:39
For a three week drive from Canberra up through Broken Hill and Oodnadatta, then through the Simpson Desert and home to Canberra we used just under 65 litres. We have a 55 litre tank under the car and carried a 10 litre container in the car. And before anyone jumps we were both properly hydrayed when we got home. It wasn't hot and we did not do anything strenuous. My blood test the next day for my chemo was fine.

When I got a bad infection and was hospitalised it got worse until I asked about all the water I was forced to drink plus the saline drip that I was in 24/7. Oops too much water.

It is amazing how different we are.

Phil
AnswerID: 512924

Sponsored Links