Where should we stay?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 16:56
ThreadID: 102601 Views:1971 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the beginning stages of planning our trip to Cape York from Sydney and have 4wks approx to do it all.

I am stuck at Cairns, Port Douglas and Mossman and which place to stay at, so from experiences where would you stay and info good and bad on each place?

We want to visit Mossman gorge and will be reaching our stop off (whichever place we decide from above) late, so would you stay 2 nights at this destination and continue on after the 2nd night or would you stay 1 night visit the gorge and continue on and only travel a short distance and stay at say Daintree or cape tribulation?

Thanks in advance
Katie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 17:18
Mossman. Great butcher at the end of town near a hardware store. In a back street there is a self serve BP depot with much cheaper fuel.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512567

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 19:54
You have a few options really.Mossman is my hometown so I'm likely to be a bit biased but the Riverside Caravan Park on the banks of the Mossman River is pretty good and is just 1km north of town and about 5km from the Mossman Gorge. To the south of Mossman and still north of Cairns you have Ellis Beach (caravan park on the Cook Highway and right on the beach), a Big 4 near the Mowbray turnoff just to the south of Port Douglas and then there is another park in Port Douglas proper. To the north of Mossman there is another beachside park at Newell Beach (about 4km from Mossman) and a little further north at Wonga Beach there is the Pinnacles caravan park (about 10-12km north of Mossman). There's anther park in Daintree and there bush camping is available from Noah Beach across the Daintree River on the Cape Tribulation road. All of these are pretty good options but if you want to spend some quality time at the Mossman Gorge then I'd recommend the park on the Mossman River. Links provided where appropriate.

While there has been talk of establishing a camping area in the Mossman Gorge precinct I don't believe that has happened yet.
AnswerID: 512577

Sponsored Links