Figures from the trip in Patrol 3.0tdi

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:10
ThreadID: 10292 Views:2558 Replies:10 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Figures for the big trip for those interested.

WA – SA – Vic – NSW/ACT – Qld, Coastal all the way as far as Cooktown.

Home via central NSW and SA

Patrol 3.0Tdi Manual. Towing camper van @ 1500kg. Full car and roof rack, 3 kids.
All weather extremes, very cold to very hot (45 degrees)

Total km’s: 20,158 covered
Fuel cost: $2943.68 at an average of 93.44cents per litre
Cheapest fuel Palm Beach/Surfers Paradise @79.7
Most expensive Madora Pass @129.9
Averages: 6.38km’s per litre = 797.5km’s per 125ltr tank of diesel (Towed the van for approx 2/3 of total Km’s covered)
7.45km’s per litre not towing.

Tyres: Cooper 265/75’s AT’s. Performed very well, excellent wear but IMHO 70 profile (standard) would have been better for towing and normal driving. 75’s were excellent off road and in sand on Fraser. 75’s robbed me of some on road power and economy. The LT tyre also gave a stiffer ride. That will stir some comments!

Best spots: Great Ocean Road, Otways and Fraser Island. (but Australia good all over) Nth Qld always a favourite.

Worst spot : Won’t go there!!! Don’t want to start offending anyone.

Won’t bore you all with details you don’t want to know about. If you have a question, let me know and I’ll answer it.

Fantastic trip, beautiful places, do it if you get the chance.

And, towed everywhere I could in 5th gear..no probs. Only real issue was dirty fuel picked up somewhere that slowed me down on Nullabor before getting a new filter fitted.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: raquel - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:15

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:15
thanks for your information will show husband when he gets home. great to see the patrol lives up to its reputation that it is a suppurb 4wd !!!!!!
AnswerID: 45554

Reply By: DenisL - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:41

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:41
I am worried about getting into parks on the N.W of W.A. I seems that if you go in winter when the weather is right you are penalized by full parks. How did you get over that? Is there a lot of camp spots along the way?
AnswerID: 45557

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:57

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:57
Sorry DenisL

I didn't get to that part of the country. Started in lower WA and went East from there.

Suggest you contact CALM (Conservation and Land Management) WA who should be able to set you straight.The Daintree
FollowupID: 307643

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:00

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:00
whoops......

The pic isn't Daintree......its Fraser. Now correctedFraser Island
FollowupID: 307644

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:46

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:46
Andrew,
Good to hear you had a good & safe trip, my fuel figures are very similar to yours, I recently went up to Lancelin & Jurien Bay, I towed the camper trailer back down the beach to Lancelin, got a bit thirsty at the Lancelin end I was down to 2nd low where the sand is a tad softer but apart from that all OK. The 3.0ltr TD went a treat, never missed a beat, I thought I would chip in with some positive stuff for the 3.0ltr TD seeing there is so much negative stuff hangin around at the moment. For interest I checked my air filter on my return and it was chocka with sand and red dust, I replaced it of course, I was just amazed at how qickly the filter had clogged up.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 45558

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:57

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:57
Martyn, get a snorkel it will make a big difference.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 307637

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:29

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:29
yep...get a snorkel

I had no such dramas with mine (snorkel fitted.) I pull the filter out after dirty stuff and just 'tap' it out on the ground before replacing. They always lasted me well between services.Fraser Island
FollowupID: 307697

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:02

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:02
Andrew,
You did very well mate,
I am impressed indeed.
I am interested in hearing what you thought was the worst spots. If you dont mind letting me know where they were, you can email me privately at

cokeaddict@optusnet.com.au

I wont hit back with stupid offence, just interested to know incase i ever get out there. Then i am pre warned and take extra caution if needed.

I'd agree with you on the Great Ocean Road Trip, I was there 4 years ago. Planned a 4 day trip down there and ended up staying 3 weeks. Will be heading back down there again next year and finish off the places we missed out on. Will do more hiking down the rivers this time, sitting beneath the waterfalls was wonderful.I love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 45560

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:48

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:48
cokeaddict

Mate, no real bad spots....its all a matter of opinion.

Covered such a large area, some places had to be better than others although i'd have to say, if you don't have to visit Broken hill, Cobar and alike, you'd be saving hard earned money.

Problem is of course that to get to the good places, you sometimes have to go through the bad and that's the beauty of this country I recon.

Having mentioned Cobar and with outback NSW in mind, I still find it fascinating to be out in the never never with nothing around for 100's of km's in any direction. OK if you don't break down that is!.

Cocklebiddy on the Nullarbor is another place I wish I had never met, but like I said, it's just along the way to somewhere better.

My best advice is stick coastal if you've never seen it all before and head inland if you intend to venture to a particular spot of interest. Don't just drive throug a mob of towns because you haven't seen them before. Unless you have heaps of time to explore each town individually, its a waste of time. I don't know where you live but in far Nth Qld you can't go wrong for a holiday, or NSW or Vic or SA or NT or WA or Tassie or anywahere else Qld. How's that for a fence sitter! it depends what you like. Just do it!. Fraser Island
FollowupID: 307702

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:04

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:04
Glad you had a good trip Andrew. nice to see some favorable comments on our 3.0ltds for a change as I love mine & basically no troubles. I was talking to local Nissan service guy yesterday & asked him how many motors they had replaced & he said 4 but recons the motor prob is people driving with a crook air flow meter , not knowing & cooking the engine with to rich a fuel mix.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 45569

Follow Up By: Old Johno - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:54

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:54
Bob & Lex,

Hi, I am one of the unfortunates who had to get his motor changed. I am curious as to whom the Nissan Daeler in Sydney is with the comment about the Air Flow Meter as I feel I have a lot of problems at around 2,000 RPM where the motor appears to be starving for Fuel/Air. Ryde Motors have given me the run around so I am curious as to the dealer & if they can test for the problem

Have a good one
FollowupID: 307642

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:09

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:09
Parramatta Nissan . I also changed dealers as I didn't think the service dept at original dealer new what they were doing as I had to fight to get minor faults fixed.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 307661

Follow Up By: Lyds - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:35

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:35
In my brief dealings with 2 Sydney Nissan service centres, Sutherland Nissan have been very good - they returned phone calls, they proactively called me when the part (oil switch - oil light had been coming on) came in, and greeted me with a smile. I couldn't say the same for the Crows Nest Service centre who have never returned a call.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 307685

Reply By: Moneypit - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:05

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:05
Andrew,

I can imagine the driving was varied given the distance travelled but if you were to nominate a normal speed that you cruise at on the open roads for the period of the trip what would it have been?

I have the same sort of setup and the best I'm getting out of the tank with the camper on is 720 [approx] to a tank which seems to be a fair bit away from you and the others who have commented.

Its not all that much better when I just run around with the empty roof rack on.

Mine is still relatively new [10000 service next week] and although I expect it will get better as it really loosens up I don't see it improving by enough to get close to you.

Regards

Dave
AnswerID: 45619

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:57

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:57
Moneypit

I always travelled at the maximum limits between stops, 100k/ph in Eastern states and 110 in WA and anywhere else it let me. I didn't wrap it in cotton wool but I didn't cane it either!.

I am very anal about looking after my ever depreciating investment and service it on time and I use Castrol RX super at 5000 intervals.

I have read in other posts that people say you can't use this oil but I believe they are confused....My dealer uses the same oil and it fullfils all the requirements as per the manual.

cheersFraser Island
FollowupID: 307703

Reply By: brian - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:43

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:43
Andrew,thanks for detailed fuel figs i have very similar rig 2002 patrol roof rack and corromal 420 van,my towing figs are same as yours but without van i get 8.5k per litre with roof rack and partly loaded.
Btw did you take the van onto frazer and how did you go,i have towed a lightweight camper on frazer with no worries was wondering how a heavy van would go.
AnswerID: 45651

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 18:58

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 18:58
brian

Did'nt take the van onto Fraser. Lived it up at Eurong Village and very glad we did. Expensive compared to the mainland, yes, but hey you only live once. Accom was very comfy with pool.

Fraser Island
FollowupID: 307770

Reply By: RLNOMAD - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:00

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:00
Hello Andrew , Breath of fresh air mate , I sometimes think that some people on this forum ....and it always seems to be the same few "told you so" people, have a grudge to bear with Nissan....My 3.0lt 2001 Auto GU has had some minor probs but so far I have been very happy and felt very safe taking it into some far flung places in Aussie , have got 92,000klm on the clock , will take out extended warranty to get extra 50'000klm so still feel very confident in vehicle, We are taking off up to the Kimberleys next May so hope we have as much success and fun as you.
AnswerID: 45683

Reply By: mick - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 15:09

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 15:09
Hey Andrew,

Good to have you back, and great to see that you had a good one.

Spoke to you some time ago, I have 3.0TD Auto and towing a 1.5 tonne pop top so the figures should be similar. When did you leave and did you any probs with head winds? Which way did you go? Any places/caravan park to avoid or recommend?

Sorry about all the questioning!!!!!! Just trying to get as much info as we are leaving Sept 04 and coming home Jan 05

Thanks again
Mick
AnswerID: 45703

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 19:35

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 19:35
Mick..

We had head winds from hell on our way across the Nullarbor. Could really feel the car working and to top it off, we got a tank of crap fuel from somewhere which really slowed me down. New fuel filter in Ceduna and no worries after that.
The head winds were around the 50 - 60 knot mark I would say, heaps of rain and it lasted the whole trip from around cocklebiddy to Ceduna.
At the Nullarbor road house, we saw people inspecting the hail damage to their rigs!. That may paint the picture for you.

With the head winds, I didn't do any calc's but going by the fuel gauge, I estimate I would have got around 600km's on both tanks. That's windy.

At the border village while fueling up, my wife spoke to a guy in a Landcruiser 100, who was heading in the other direction. He said that having travelled across West to East only a month earlier he reconed he had used about 160 litres of petrol less having travelled the same distance back with the tail winds over the previous 2 days. (hope that made sense) We heard remarkable stories of fuel economy similar to this from others.

We Left WA on Sept 28 and got home on Jan 8. This was a bit earlier than planned but things to do at home meant we should return.

Most of the places to avoid can't be avoided because you have to go through them to get to places you want to see. We always looked for Big 4 parks because we thought they would best cater for the kids but that wasn't always the case. Big 4's in NSW and Qld however we great.
Must stay places if you get the time are Tununda SA, because you are in the Barossa and the area is lovely, Grampians in Vic, Otway ranges along the Great Ocean Road. Blue mountains in NSW, Fraser island, Surfers Paradise and Sunshine coast but definately definatley have a few days around Mission Beach and Airlie Beach....MMMMmmmm I can see them now. Oh, and don't forget the Atherton Tablelands and the Daintree. Missing either of those would render you a psyco!! so to speak. Its mind blowing in those areas on clear sunny days.

Hope that answers you questions, if not , keep firing. Fraser Island
FollowupID: 307771

Reply By: mick - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:02

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:02
Thanks for the info Andrew,

Uncanny, we're leaving Sept 29 and get back Jan 7.?????????????

Great info thanks mate. Gives us a better idea on what to look for and expect.

We're travelling across to Port Augusta, up thru Alice Springs, Tennent Creek,
Daintree Cairns and then down the coast and back home,

Thanks again, anymore tips throw em my way, I'll take em.

Mick
AnswerID: 46101

Sponsored Links