Road conditions Tanami Rd (halls creek to Alice )

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 09:32
ThreadID: 103019 Views:2542 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling the Kimberley and are at the moment at Broome will be here for a week . We plan to travel to Alice Springs via the Tanami road but don't know the condition as there has been a bit of rain up here. We just came out of the gibb river road and the Fairfield leopold rd was a mess, we just managed to get back to the gibb. Any info would be appreciated. Judy and Laurie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 10:16

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 10:16
It might pay to contact the BP at Halls Creek for info, otherwise the Council can help you from tomorrow.

Steve
AnswerID: 514016

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:40

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:40
Suggest a phone call to Shire of Hall's Creek, Tourist Office here. I had the same query a few nights back on a VKS737 HF radio sked - one of our WA staff said the Shire Office is up to speed with current Tanami conditions.
AnswerID: 514019

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 17:56

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 17:56
Feedback today from a VKS737 member at the NT/WA border advises that the unsealed sections of the Tanami road coming up from Yuendemu are good overall - no wet patches - there are corrugated sections here and there, but they are relatively short. May be of use. West of the border may be another story :-o).
FollowupID: 792904

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:28

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:28
The ExplorOz Road Condition report shows the Tanami Track open (green) on both sides of the WA/NT border as at 27/6/13. If conditions change so will the report.

The Halls Creek Shire Council however, may be able to give more information on the actual condition of the track.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514028

Follow Up By: Sandman - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:26

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:26
Clear skies in the Alice but dont let that fool you, its blinkin cold with a chilly wind...I was going to head out to Rainbow Valley today but stayed inside, maybe a glass of wine in the spa tonight :-)

Safe travels
FollowupID: 792908

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 21:28

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 21:28
Hi J and L, while in Halls Ck head out 41km east to Palm Springs for a swim and camp. Scenic drive is a bit of a roller coaster tho'. Now for the Tanami Rd which we did 3 weeks ago. Surface in WA is good but at the border worsens. Free camp at border. NT side is very rough and then rougher and corrugated SE of Granites mine. We have ticked it off the bucket list but not likely to do it again. Boring drive thru the scrub.For an extra 500km and $150 in fuel I'd hug the tar up to Kununurra - very scenic and across more scenery toKatherine - soothing hot springs,same at Mataranka then down to Devils Marbles then Alice. We towed a camper with our Pathfinder so this should compare with your rig. We had also done the Gibb which had some hardened mud ridges after rains in May but the grader was working on them. IMO the Gibb was like a highway compared to the Tanami. If you have not yet been to Cape Leveque do the Giant Tides Tour at the Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 514053

Sponsored Links