Heading back to FNQ from Brisbane - Cania or Carnarvon Gorge...

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 08:51
ThreadID: 103072 Views:2380 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

After a wonderful family visit in Brisbane we are headed back to the Tablelands tomorrow and I wanted some last minute advice.

Initially we were going to go up via Carnarvon Gorge but on the way down I read about Cania Gorge and was wondering if it maybe more appropriate?

We are a family with 2 small kids (6&4) and in 4WD with caravan. Cania has the Big4 for the kids and shorter walks but is it really a smaller sibling to Carnarvon?

So we can do

July 4 - Cania Gorge or Roma
Juy 5 - Cania Gorge walk (suggestions?) or Carnarvon Gorge (evening walk -suggestions?)
July 6 - Emerald (after morning walk at Carnarvon as shorter drive than from Cania)
July 7- somewhere nice between Emerald and Charters Towers (??)
July 8 - long drive to Atherton, Tablelands along the Kennedy Hwy.

The Cania option (http://goo.gl/maps/RCqoi)
The Carnarvon option (http://goo.gl/maps/kXv1G)

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:05

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:05
IMHO Cania and Carnarvon are no way similar.

Cania Gorge has a couple of side creeks with spectacular rock formations etc and short walks.

Carnarvon Gorge is the main creek and the scale of the place far outstrips Cania. To do justice to the place it requires longer walks. One day come back and do Mt Moffatt on the other side of the range. Different from Carnarvon and spectacular in its own right.

Both places are great but I don't believe one is a small version of the other.

Just north of Charters Towers is Fletcher park (free site) on the side of the road.

Alan
AnswerID: 514183

Follow Up By: George C - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:37

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:37
Thanks Alan -it seems as if Cania is more appropriate for this trip and we plan Carnarvon for when we have longer to spend (3 nights) and the girls are older for the longer walks.

I wonder if we are able to get from Emerald to Greenvale within a days drive - then the next day we can by-pass The Lynd and go to Mt. Garnet via Valley of Lagoons - Mielings Mill.
FollowupID: 793094

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 10:25

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 10:25
Agree with Alan, very different places. Carnarvon walks are long, if you want to do them all. If you go to Cania Gorge get a mud map and drive up to the old gold mine and to the plane wreck. Just check that they have not had much rain as there are several creek crossings and they do get cut. But they are great drives, not difficult if dry. Kevin
AnswerID: 514191

Sponsored Links