Dog Fence

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 20:39
ThreadID: 103098 Views:2290 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if it's possible to travel South from Camerons Corner along the Dog Fence? I have some friends that want to travel down that way towards Silverton.

If it's possible will they require a permit.?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Bill
One life. Live it while you can.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 07:04

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 07:04
Hi bill

I think I saw signs in the area saying it was prohibited/not permitted to drive along the dog fence, that tracks were only for maintenance of the fence... I could be wrong, it was a couple of years ago when we were there..

Cheers

Lisa
AnswerID: 514295

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 07:39

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 07:39
Good morning, well I know that there are signs saying it's prohibited to drive along it west of Hamilton Gate. The dog fence is our western boundary and we don't like people driving along there as we like to know just who and what is going on on our place. But having said that I don't think there are signs anywhere along that particular bit of fence. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 514297

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:33

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:33
A couple of years back we went through the Warri Gate just north of Tibuburra. At the time there was a detour that actually took you along a few kilometers of the Dog fence track to the west of the gate. There were signs everywhere saying that the track was off limits. And before you jump on me there were those council "DETOUR" saying to go that way.

I have also heard that it is a no no from different sources. I think there is a sign saying so at the corner at Camerons.

It's worth too much to the local land owners to have the fence unmaintained and broken so the track will no doubt be off limits to all bar land owners and maintenance staff. Before it was built, Dingos and wild dogs killed thousands of sheep a day. Just recently they replaced the lower section along the whole length with plastic coated wire.

There was something on Pat Kallinans show last weekend about it. Not positive of the numbers killed. You are welcome to correct me. Personally, even though it would be a good drive I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want the track damaged and thus risk the maintenance to the fence.

Phil
AnswerID: 514304

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:37

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:37
My damned memory. It wasn't the Warri gate. It was the Toona Gate on our way from Tibuburra to Camerons Corner via the track through the Sturt NP and Olive Downs and the jump ups.

Phil
FollowupID: 793275

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:41

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:41
I saw on some tv show (Pat Callinan?) that you can follow it if only if it is an emergency and you are lost. If that is the case, you go very very slowly and cautiously.
It was also pointed out that it could be very dangerous for the fence's maintenance bloke...on his hands and knees perhaps, thinking the next human being is countless km away, not imagining that someone is coming, and a car comes over a slight crest and runs him over!
AnswerID: 514515

Sponsored Links