HONEYMOON CAPE YORK 9th Sept - 5th Oct 2013

Hi All,

I am pretty new to this site but have managed to find plenty of relevant information regarding my planned cape your trip for my self and my future bride to be. I have told he that i am planning a Honeymoon of a life time but have not told her where we are going. We have always spoken of a trip to the cape but have not done it as of yet. I head up to Pormpuraaw every year hunting and she has always wanted to go, so i thought what a perfect time to do it. I was wanting to know what places anyone could recomend heading probably want to stay at a nice place a few nights but i was think of the following, any recommendations would be great.

Vehicle;
2013 V8 TD Landcruiser Tray back, 12,000 Lbs Winch, 2 car fridges, swag, muddies

Itinerary;

Noosa - Charters Towers 1275 Kms
Charters Towers - Port Douglas 650 Kms
Port Douglas - CREB Track - Cook town if open,

Then open to any suggestions from there, would like to do the OTT and Weip then to
the top.

Please do not hesitate to tell me your thoughts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 08:34

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 08:34
Portland Roads would be a nice place to stay for a few days, if you do a search on the Forum i think I remember it coming up a few weeks ago.
AnswerID: 514550

Follow Up By: Jacob M - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:33

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:33
Thank you for that lyn, I really like the look of the place. Have added it too the list.
FollowupID: 793652

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:00
Jacob, you will be the envy of many, many men when you disclose that you have a wife who would be thrilled to spend her honeymoon in swags on the road to the Cape!
Lucky you!
Throw in just a couple of nice stops on the way to or from, perhaps... call into Port Douglas and do a nice motel and dinner where she has the chance to dress up a bit...
Maybe let her choose on the way south again... "Darl, would you like to stop in one of these nice motels in Port Douglas/Cairns?" If she says no, buy a lottery ticket and never let her go!!
Honeymoons are what you both want them to be. If you know that's what you both like, don't let others talk you out of it and into what many people see as a "must do" of a resort with spa treatments and facials...
All the best!
Robyn
AnswerID: 514555

Follow Up By: Jacob M - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:35

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:35
100% agree with you Robyn, we shall have a ball. I was defiantly think one night at Port Douglas and possibly another night in a place further up north. Thank you.
FollowupID: 793653

Reply By: GaryW - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:05

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:05
Make sure you see:
Chili Beach
Fruit Bat Falls
Punsand Bay

I have a blog of our 2009 trip.

Use the navigation bar to the left to get to June/Jul 2009

oz4x4ing blog
AnswerID: 514560

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 13:25

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 13:25
Hi Jacob. Friends stayed in a unit at Punsand Bay a couple of your ago and spoke highly of the quality. Also I think it is the nearest decent accommodation to the tip of the Cape.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 793661

Reply By: Member - Chargergirl76 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 13:31

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 13:31
Hey Jacob, í'm heading up to the cape for my honeymoon this year too - leaving in mid August! Not your typical 'honeymoon', but my husband and I couldn't be any more excited!!

Can't offer too much in the way of advice on where to go as we have just been reading up everything and taking the advice of others who have been before us.Port Douglas is beautiful though, if you have the time and money, try to get out on a reef tour from there aswell.
AnswerID: 514565

Follow Up By: Jacob M - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 22:54

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 22:54
Yeah was planning to stop in at Port Douglas for a night or so on the way up and heading to the reef, it would be great if you find or hear anything on your trip. Might be a good chance for one of us to write a book Honeymooners guide to the cape. haha
FollowupID: 793695

Reply By: wato35 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 14:05

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 14:05
You are a very brave man.
My wife loves the outback, but I would never think of a trip like this for a honeymoon.
Good luck.
Wato
AnswerID: 514567

Reply By: Chris_K - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 14:52

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 14:52
Hi Jacob

In addition to Fruit Bat Falls - Twin Falls was a really nice place to camp for a few days. You will need to book online though - as this is one of the places that can get busy.

Bramwell Station is probably a better camping option than Bramwell Junction - this is also pretty close to the first creek crossing on the OTT (Palm Creek from memory) - this was also the hardest crossing of the lot. So can camp at Bramwell Station and duck off for an afternoon's entertainment watching people trying to cross! Good fun.

Cheers

Chris

AnswerID: 514570

Reply By: Hunjy100 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 16:22
Try Lotus bird Lodge, she'll love you for it.
Very flash for cape York.

Mal
AnswerID: 514574

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:28

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:28
Just a couple of more suggestions, Cape Melville if you have time Have a look at my blog on that spot) - it is just a little secluded and there are some nice camping spots under the trees on the beach. Also a fishing charter at Punsand Bay, no honeymoon trip would be complete without taking the bride fishing. Maybe a trip to TI whilst up there as there is some good pub food there and it is just a nice trip. Hope it all works out for you.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 514600

Follow Up By: Jacob M - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:00
I will definitely be looking at the charter from punsand, that will really get the competition going. The wife will probably win as she dose not mind wetting a line.
FollowupID: 793759

Reply By: Daisy G - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:22

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:22
As a woman, I do not think going hunting is a good and impressive honeymoon memory. When you driving your vehicle to go on a trip, you will come across with a lot of hardness, for example the power resupply at the trip.
Why not choose a easier method, for example, choose a site like the sunshine coast which is near the city and just several hours driving from city, where you can choose either exterior camping or hotle. So that you and your wife can enjoy a romantic memory there.
AnswerID: 514671

Follow Up By: Jacob M - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:56

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:56
My fiancée and I would prefer to camp and explore the beautiful country that we are so lucky to live in than to stay on the Sunshine Coast although there are a lot more creature comforts on the coast. It will be one memorable trip I personally think, and camping under the stars is far better than sleeping in 5 stars. We will stay at a few nice places but sitting by a fire having a beer and a wine together is one of the most relaxing things we like to do. I will deffenatly post a blog so everyone can see what the cape has to offer for a honeymoon.
FollowupID: 793758

Follow Up By: Member - Chargergirl76 - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 14:13

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 14:13
As mentioned earlier, i'm heading up to the cape in a few weeks for our honeymoon too, we planned it together, but i would have been just as happy if hubby had surprised me with it.

I totally agree with you, Daisy G, it's not your typical 'honeymoon' location for the females, but i'm more than excited about having these memories for my honeymoon and hopefully Jacob M's wife will be too (i'd like to think i'm not the only female who thinks like this .... am I!!!)

Don't get me wrong, a tropical island or cruise sipping on cocktails and eating way too much food would be great!, but i'm just as happy drinking beer in front of the fire and exploring this great land of ours
FollowupID: 793760

Sponsored Links