birdsville to Innamincka

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 20:43
ThreadID: 103245 Views:2518 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
has anybody done this trip lately. how long would u allow for this trip, sorry via cordillo downs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 20:58

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 20:58
I would allow a day in reasonable conditions

cheers
AnswerID: 514803

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 20:58

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 20:58
You can do it in a full day, but allow a bit more and take your time
AnswerID: 514804

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:14

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:14
i drove the Cordillo Downs road from Birdsville about a week and a half back, was told by the lady at Innamincka Trading Post the road was in bad condition, but the section we drove was in great condition IMHO. we didn't drive all the way to Innamincka (we were there 3 days previous), we left Birdsville around 8.30 a.m and had lunch at Cordillo Downs shearing shed after stopping off at Cadelga Ruins to take photos along the way. 36 klms past the shearing shed we turned off that road and headed back up to Haddon Corner from there. whilst at the shearing shed i spoke to another fella who like us was towing a camper trailer, and he'd left Innamincka that morning (not sure what time though) and he was also having his lunch break when we arrived but left about 15 minutes after we got there, so he was slightly ahead of our timing. he also mentioned the road was in good condition the way he'd travelled, so i'm not sure what the lady at Innamincka was on about. last week we had friends come down from Haddon Corner to the Dig Tree, they mentioned the section of road past where we joined onto it from Cordillo Downs was in pretty ordinary condition, so i think the last 100 odd klms to the Dig Tree from memory, the Northern half of the road back up to Haddon Corner was in great condition when we traversed it (but this info won't effect you really as you shouldn't be on that road when going straight down to Innamincka from Cordillo Downs).
so basically the trip you asked about could be done in a big days drive, just depends what your driving, if your towing something and how fast you drive i guess. we are on the slightly quicker side when it comes to average driving speeds i'd say, but we weren't going fast on that day IMHO and were towing a trailer at the time.
the Walkers Crossing Track was also in great condition, we did it 4 days earlier then the Cordillo Downs Track, but we were driving a touch quicker then we normally would as we needed to get to Birdsville pretty quickly that day (needed phone reception for family reasons back home). that drive took us 5 hours, most people would take atleast 6 hours i'd say probably even 7 hours, just depends what speed they were doing and how many stops they made.
as with both these tracks we did stop to take photos along the way, so if your in a hurry and not towing a trailer, it can be done faster still then what we did it in, if need be.
AnswerID: 514807

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:16

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:16
Edit above...last paragraph about Walkers Crossing should read the number 3 instead of 4 for how many days previous we drove that track.
FollowupID: 793924

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:23

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:23
thankyou for the very detailed reply
FollowupID: 793927

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 09:02

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 09:02
no worries....to give you a better idea of our trip that day along the Cordillo Downs Road, we also stopped several more times to take photos that i didn't mention earlier. we stopped for a quick photo at the "Welcome to Birdsville" sign on the way out of town, we also stopped for about 15 minutes at the turn off from the Birdsville Developmental Rd to do some minor repair work on my mates camper trailer, we stopped at the Qld / S.A border to take a quick pic, we stopped at the ruins for atleast a half hour i'd guess to take pics and walk around, and we also stopped a couple of times along the road in the middle of nowhere to photograph dingos (we saw 4 of them that day), so we weren't rushing by any means and made lunch at the shearing shed. on the way out from the shearing shed we past 2 people coming the other way towing what i'd describe as onroad vans, they weren't big vans but looked light on in the build department IMHO (i recall my mate and myself made comment about them to each other over the uhf). i could only conclude from that, along with the info the other guy at our lunch break gave us, the track to our South couldn't have been to bad for them to be towing what they were, where they were.
FollowupID: 793948

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:04

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:04
Thanks heeps
FollowupID: 793952

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 14:18

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 14:18
have u been from nockatunga to nappa merrie theninnamincka or from nappa merrie to arrabury
FollowupID: 794034

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 16:29

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 16:29
we came from Thargomindah to Nockatunga and stopped in at Noccundra for lunch, then back to Nockatunga to Nappa Merrie (along the Adventure Way i think it's called) to the Dig Tree, then back out that 14klm track and into Innamincka, then along Walkers Crossing Track onto the Birdsville Track and into Birdsville itself.
from there we went the Birdsville Developmental Rd and turned onto the Cordillo Downs Rd down past Cadelga Ruins to the Shearing Shed, from there we drove 36klm towards Innamincka before turning off left for Arrabury direction, we drove 16klms along that track and turned left again and headed North for Haddon Corner (so we never actually go to Arrabury, we stayed North of it), then back onto Birdsville Developmental Rd and onto Windorah from there.
FollowupID: 794039

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 17:51
thank you we r going in sept for the Birdsville races
FollowupID: 794048

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 18:16

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 18:16
for a better idea of our trip, you can check out this report i've started doing on another forum http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30925.0 you'll need to join the forum to view it though.
cheers
FollowupID: 794050

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:15

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:15
I can't find the note book where I recorded all this from our trip last September so this is all from the map and the memory...
We did it from Innamincka to Birdsville.
Innamincka to the Arrabury turn off (just south of Cordillo Downs) is 142 km. It was a decent road where we could do about 80km/h. The next part past Cordillo Downs is 161 km. It is of a lesser grade with loose gravel, unexplained and unsignposted bends (no river or obstacle that we could see, so why the sharp right hand bend?!). It was closer to 60km/h standards.
The last bit to Birdsville (about 120km) was a decent gravel road-a bit rough but we averaged about 80km/h again from memory. Some bits were even tar (incl. the emergency air strip portion!).
So, in all...2 hours to Arrabury turn off. 2 hours to the Birdsville Dev Road. About an hour and a half to Birdsville. That's heading close to a 6 hour run.
We had a leisurely morning at Cullyamurra Waterhole and had to drop the tent and pack up our site, drive the 14km dirt track back to Innamincka to get fuel, find which damn road to follow out of Innamincka (you won't have that issue by heading south!), stopped a few times to stretch our legs and the dog's legs, and photograph ruins near the Qld border, and we were in Birdsville and had set up camp at the caravan park by 3pm.
Enjoy the trip!
:)
Wouldn't imagine roads would be that different to what we encountered...
AnswerID: 514808

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:24

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 21:24
thank you much appreciated
FollowupID: 793928

Reply By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 16:02

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 16:02
I also have been told by the lady at Innamincka trading post that the Cordillo rd was in bad conditions and heavily trafficked by trucks, so I took the Arrabury instead and took half day to get to Birdsville. We enjoyed the trip on the gibbers but now I regret it because I wanted to visit the woolshed and take some photos. Next time I'll wait for a second opinion from an actual traveller.
AnswerID: 514838

Reply By: jothefw - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:26
Did Innamincka to Birdsville via Walkers Crossing last week.

We went through just after the little bit of rain - it was a great run. Only passed four vehicles after Moomba and we were towing which the lady at Innamincka Trading Post seemed most concerned about.

It's sandy windy tracks and then gibb - one of the best off road tracks we've done. We left Innamincka at 8 am, stopped for lunch midway along and reached Birdsville about 3.30 which was ideal.
AnswerID: 514860

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 14:12
we r coming back from Birdsville via walkers crossing dropping down to Moomba then to camerons corner
FollowupID: 794032

Sponsored Links