Cape York itinerary help

I have started on our Cape itinerary for next year just dont know about times and distances so would love some help from people who have been there to help me out. We have 4wks approx to get there and back and enjoy as much as we can but not over do it we have 2 children who will be 5 and 7 and are used to travelling as we did a big outback trip last year.

So here goes

Sydney
Port Macquarie (drop dog off)
Brisbane
Clairview free camp (just south of Mackay)
Port Douglas
Port Douglas ( we want to visit Mossman Gorge and go on a Croc cruise in Daintree)
Lions Den
Archer River RH
Weipa
Tele track
Elliot Falls
Elliot Falls (may add another night)
Seisia
Seisia
Punsand Bay ( read they have a pool and other places eg Seisia and Loyalty dont?)
Punsand Bay
Vrilya Point
Coen
Mareeba
#missing a stop
Calliope River free camp
Glasshouse mnts
Glasshouse mnts
Port Macquarie
Sydney

So any tips, info and advice welcome. With the silly booking system now in place we need to know when we will be at Elliot falls which is a pain as we normally just drive and see where we get to.

Thanks in advance
Katie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 18:12
You seem to have missed Chilli Beach

Would definitely go there again

cheers
AnswerID: 514924

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 20:07
Hi Katie,
4 weeks from Sydney is a pretty quick trip with little ones! We did a trip from Brisbane with to family groups containing 4 kids (Not ours) and the main issue with kids was for the kids being locked up in the car for long periods of driving. We made lots of extra stops to give them a break and this did impact on our travel time. As a guide it's about 1000k from Sydney to Brisbane and about 1800 to Cairns and a further 1000 to the tip. I like all your destinations and would also add Chilli Beach. I note you included the Lions den so I presume your are heading to Cooktown via Cape tribulation, this makes sense if you are doing Port Douglas and the Daintree (both are nice places to visit) but just be mindful that this takes time.

I know you haven't specifically mentioned Lakefield but you will travel trough this when leaving Cooktown via battelecamp road.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 514928

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 20:52
Thanks Beatit our girls spent alot of time in the car last year as we drove out to Ayres rock and across the Simpson Desert over 4wks with lots of stops and did a few 8hr days one day was even 12hrs so we know what to expect there and do stop when needed.

We are heading up the Bloomfield track but once at the end we aren't heading into Cooktown but heading the opposite direction I think it may be the development rd?

We did have Chilli beach on the list but took it off as yes its supposed to be pretty etc but have heard a fair few reports about the wind and they weren't that impressed with the place. So possibly still up in the air about Chilli beach.
FollowupID: 794105

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 21:04

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 21:04
Sounds like you have it reasonably sorted. Be aware that the wind on the east coast is normally around 25 knots which is normal for the dry season and anywhere along the coast will be windy. I like Chilli Beach but have always camped in the Iron Range NP, there are a couple of good bush camps that offer some really nice rainforest experiences. You can do an easy day trip from there and the kids will love the coconuts along the beach.
FollowupID: 794108

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 22:56
Katie,

A few suggestions you might wish to consider... We did not want to book a campsite at Elliot Falls as it was crazy for us to commit to being there on a particular date. (From Melbourne) I understand the reasons for the booking system, not that I necessarily agree with them all. So, we just winged it and after doing a bit of research and speaking to a few people along the way, camped at Canal Creek. This is only a few k's further north along the OTT. There were enough spots for us and friends to set the campers up and not being on top of each other. It was a nice spot to camp, was free, and requires no booking at all. It was no effort backtracking a few k's back to the falls. Problem solved for us.

Disclaimer... This is how it was for us in July/August last year. Nothing is guaranteed !!!

Punsand Bay - a great camping ground. remember though it is in the middle of nowhere. The amenities are good for where you are. We stayed there on both our trips to the Cape in 2009 and last year. There is a pool, but it is nothing too flash. Just an above ground pool with some decking and a pool fence. It is a shame swimming in the sea is not recommended !!!

Vrilya Point is a very nice spot. But, if you only plan on having one night there, it might be a bit of a chore going in I think 30 odd k' off the PDR, then about 10 k's up the beach to the point. It takes a while to get in there. We did that (in 2009) for the 1 night and wished we had set aside longer. Perhaps you could cut out an overnight stop at say Coen and add another at Vrilya? Last year we stayed there (Vrilya) for 3 nights. Much better for relaxing and watching the world go by.

I'll leave it at that for now. I'm sure others will some more ideas.

Cheers,

Dave
AnswerID: 514936

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:54

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:54
Thanks for the advice, the reason for wanting a pool at Punsand is just that cant swim and having 2 kids and it being hot that is exactly what they will want to do so it doesn't have to be flash just somewhere they can have a splash without the crocs lol.

Will definitely think about staying another night at least at Vrilya.

FollowupID: 794128

Sponsored Links