Duncan Road (WA/NT), Buntine Hwy & Buchannin Hwy updates please

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:22
ThreadID: 103287 Views:2116 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, anybody been on the Duncan road (from Halls Creek to Kalkrindgi) and the Buntine Hwy to Top Springs and alsso the Buchannin from Toppy to Dany Waters (Stuart Hwy).....
We are at Broome atm and it is very wet, wondering if they had the rains as well......
Cheers
Joe n Mel on our "working" adventure...
Yes we are on the road again, heading up to Cape York to work... lucky us eh !!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Triton man - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 19:53

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 19:53
Hope you get a reply soon on that option as that is what we are doing in mid August. We are trying to do the Savannah Way bit by not retracing many steps, this was our option exactly. If you don't get a reply soon and you DO "do it" let us know how you go. We will be townig an Avan Aliner and want to survive the drive and have an overnight at or near Kalkrindgi then Top Srings to Daly Waters.

ENJOY the journey
AnswerID: 514968

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:06

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:06
Hi Triton Man,
We are at Fitzroy Crossing and still looks like a lot of rain fairly recently so if we don't here anything back we may give it a miss, yet to decide, we have done it before and it will be fine with your set-up but will keep you posted, we will take the road just out of Timber Creek, think it is the "Buccannin" and cut through to Toppy and then Daly Waters (Stuart Hwy) as we have done that heaps of times ..... that will be our alternative route if we don't do the "Duncan" ....
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 515022

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 16:45

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 16:45
done the sums, going the sealed way through Kunnanurra n Timber Creek, Duncan road is ok by all reports but we will be doing some night driving and that is NOT advisable on the Duncan as it is heavy with stock..
It is about 230 something shorter via the Duncan to Toppy but we are happy with the sealed stuff and this car is not set up as good as our oldie, will report on the road from Timber to Toppy to Sturt Hwy when done...
Cheers
JnM n Kids
AnswerID: 515038

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:44

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:44
Keep an eye for us. Will be somewhere between halls creek and Kunnunnura tonight I reckon. In a grey supreme van with white 100 series :)
FollowupID: 794213

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 21:34

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 21:34
I'll be at the start of the Duncan and Flora Valley on Wednesday. Will head south down the Sturt, which is apparently dry.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 794236

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:26

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:26
Just gathering info for the brain Joe. We were thinking of coming home that way years back but we were still unprepared for solo remote travel and took the black top.

By Toppy, I assume that you are talking about Top Springs. Is that right?

I also don't see a road or track going west from Daly Waters on the maps that I have. Are you talking about it as a destination not a place on the Buchanan or another road that is not on my map?

Phil
AnswerID: 515109

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:02

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:02
hi guys, sorry i never got back sooner ..
Yes Toppy is Top Springs.....
The road is from Top Springs to Dunmurra, sorry as i refer to it as Daly Waters ...... The "Buchannin" ...
They were all in very good condition for the record ..
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 794817

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:23

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:23
Hi Joe

I kind of assumed that but at this stage in life if I assume and make a mistake there isn't enough time to recover my very excellent unblemished reputation for always being 100% right. Just ask my wife!!! On second chance don't you dare.

We wondered about Duncan road when we left the Bungles. Prefer the dirt but as we were brand new to the Toyota and we had a train to catch out of Darwin we gave it a miss and stuck to the bitumen. Next time we will take Duncan Road etc to the Stuart Highway.

No worries.

Phil
FollowupID: 794819

Sponsored Links