Kudos to WA

Submitted: Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 18:57
ThreadID: 103364 Views:1600 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just back in Adelaide from a trip across Nullarbor, up west coast, Dampier Peninsula, Gibb River Rd and Mitchell Plateau, Katherine and back down the centre.
WA sure is buzzing. Particularly impressed with the WA wayside stops and Parks. Wayside sites in WA are spacious, well set our, usually set back a bit from the main rd, good basic toilet facilities, well maintained The system of volunteers at parks works well and both looks after the site and has well informed, friendly people to assist. Wa, this made out travels a pleasure. The other states could learn a lot from the way you do this. The quality of outback highways was also impressive.
We were trapped by the big rains on the Dampier Peninsula last month. (9inches of rain in one night, and it went on for days. The aboriginal community where we were staying, a bit north of Beagle Bay, were wonderful and made sure we had everything we needed. They told us they knew we were trapped there and therefore we were now their guests and wouldn't charge us camping fees. There was no sun to keep solar powered fridges going and they realized this and offered their freezers for our use. Great people.
10 years ago when we were around the same area and along the Gibb, we were frequently depressed by the condition of aboriginal people. It is much, much improved. Rarely saw public drunkeness this time, people look healthier and happier. Very few kids around the streets when they should have been in school. Far more indigenous people in service industries in places like Derby. Lots of evidence of programs run by the communities themselves to improve diet and cut down on smoking and drinking.
Also impressed by the conservation care evident in the Ningaloo area. I think much has been noted and learned from the Qld destruction of the Barrier Reef. Ningaloo is in far better condition than the Barrier Reef and the locals seem to want to keep it that way.

Really enjoyed the trip. Only sorry we had to come home a bit earlier than we wanted and nightly we look at our weather and the weather up there. We will be back.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 19:17

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 19:17
That is really good news about the improvement in aboriginal communities.
I am delighted.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515189

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 19:20

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 19:20
Great to hear from someone who has been away and enjoyed themselves and had something positive to say. Good stuff.
AnswerID: 515190

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 14:46
hi Mfewster
thanks for a thumbs up report for w.a
so great the read a good report and such a positive of the improvements in general
there's a lot who winge about rd side stops and conditions in general but I think they are the brigade that expect everything to be free everywhere they go and also complain when they have to share a rd stop with some one else near them
personelly I think they've been on the rd too long and the least little thing annoys them if its not to their own liking
those type probably winge about everything when there home as well
cheers
FollowupID: 794439

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 23:31

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 23:31
I agree with what Hairy has said, it is good to read a positive thread.....
I'm glad I'm not alone now, when ever we've left our State I find the roads and most of the camp areas are not as good as over here, I thought it was just me..lol

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515215

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:08
Yeah good onya Mrblabbermouth, now we're gonna have all them easternstaters flooding over here....LOL

Nah just kidding mate, thanks for the thumbs up.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 515299

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:23
Thanks Pop, and also thanks to all the others who have responded nicely to my post.

But you did remind me of one thing. And before I add it, I should say that I grew up in WA (went to North Inglewood State School).
WA sure seems to have a chip on its shoulder about the rest of Australia. I was surprised how often talkback radio callers, politicians and others made a point of how WA carried the rest of Australia.
They seem to have forgotten that when WA federated with the other states, the Eastern states agreed to pay extra taxes to support WA. This has only reversed very recently with the mining boom. WA only agreed to federate because of this and also because the mining areas (gold at that time) were threatening to secede from WA if they didn't.

But WA is a great place and I suspect that if I was 30 years younger I would be looking to live permanently over there, up north.
FollowupID: 794511

Sponsored Links