Murray River

We are planning our first trip along the mighty Murray River in Feb 2013 with a camper trailer and I was just wondering if we can camp any where along the river & if animals are allowed?? Any ideas on which maps are the best to follow?? We plan to start at Tom Groggin and work our way all the way down to the mouth. Any suggestions and ideas would be great.Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:28
Hi Tatia,

I assume you mean Feb 2014.

There are many places along the river where camping is available, some free (but with no amenities) and others requiring a small fee. Generally, animals are OK, unless you are in a National Park, in which case, no animals allowed.

A very good publication is Camps 7 which shows available camp sites along the Murray as well as all over the rest of Australia.
This book is available from the ExplorOz Shop, as well as Automobile Associations in each State and many map/book shops.
Used in conjunction with State maps of NSW, Victoria and South Australia, you can follow the river route, identifying the many towns along its banks and then look them up in Camps 7 book.
Note: The spiral bound version is the most practical to use.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515329

Follow Up By: Tatia - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:44
Hi Bill

yes I did mean 2014, slip of the finger, my apologies.

I already have the Camp7 book and maps of the area, I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I was looking for info on if we can just pull up anywhere along the river and pitch tent. I am aware that you cannot pitch tent or go through private property, I was thinking more along the lines of on side roads, since were not to fussed on amenities.

Thanks
FollowupID: 794559

Follow Up By: Gryphons - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:22
Gday,
There is a book {A2 size}, its called 'Camping and Caravanning Guide to the Murray River'. written by Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage.
I have it & its great. Has all the camp sites on it with info to go along with it. Both sides of the Murray are covered.

Cheers

Vaughan.
FollowupID: 794570

Follow Up By: Tatia - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 21:05
Thanks for that info..love their books,
will go looking for it
FollowupID: 794578

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 13:35

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 13:35
Hi, I actually have a copy of the camping & caravanning guide if you wanted to borrow one instead of having to buy it?
Let me know if you would like to borrow and I can post it to you.

Cheers
Nellyjr
FollowupID: 794606

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:27
G'day Tatia, make sure you stay at Jinjellic on the Mighty Murray, free camp, dogs OK, old bush pub backs onto the camp area, hot pay showers, clean toilets, not much else - but perfect!! Lotsa stars, not lotsa people, a great place to stay, I do regularly as I don't live that far from there, I am the lucky one! hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515344

Reply By: Member - Paul K - VIC - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 21:50
hi taia
Keep an eye on weather conditions as feb is the fire season in that area, would not like to be in the area when a fire starts.

regards Paul
AnswerID: 515351

Reply By: slave - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:55

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:55
There is also a series of books called 'River Murray Access' that show all the tracks along the river with camping areas marked. I see that they are currently on sale in the EO shop.
AnswerID: 515394

Follow Up By: Tatia - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 22:03

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 22:03
Thanks..have already bought a couple..and are great but I love to hear peoples ideas and storey's..will be taking them with us..chasing up the new boiling billy book at the moment.

Thanks to all..
FollowupID: 794696

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 18:25

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 18:25
Tatia
I live in Echuca on the Murray. I'm not sure about camping, but a few extra animals won't be noticed during the summer months!
Last year I participated in the Murray Meander. We put our tinnies in upstream of Corryong and travelled down to Echuca. This year the Meander went from Echuca to Mildura. Next February it goes from Mildura to the sea. It is a great way to see the river, and the small towns along the way.
Bob
AnswerID: 515445

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 20:16

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 20:16
Bob
Grew up in Echuca Gunbower area and think that any where between is good value for animals with maybe the exception of Torrumbarry Weir park.
But anywhere else am thinking is good.
Mind you have not been back for a few years now except for a visit and tour through the bush tracks, which brings my youth back
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 794789

Sponsored Links