Tasmania

We are going to Tassie on the 4-8-2013 and staying for 3weeks.I want to make this a special trip for my partner as a belated birthday present.Can someone please tell me the places I shouldn't miss as I know 3weeks is not long enough.We are travelling in a Toyota Landcruiser with a camper on the back and are self sufficient if need be.Any information would be greatly appreciated.Ken
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 22:17

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 22:17
We spent a month there in feb and loved cockle creek and mt field national park - the weather was a lot warmer though...
AnswerID: 515512

Follow Up By: Ken F3 - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 14:00
I would like to thank everyone that had time to make suggestions about our trip to Tasmania.We will try to go to as many places as possible and find more as we talk to more people.That's the great thing about this Forum,people who have been there and done that. It sure makes it easier to make the trip so more enjoyable.And yes Boobook we will not forget to catch the ferry back to the mainland-you funny bugger.Ken
FollowupID: 794891

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 22:31

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 22:31
Hi Ken

It all depends on your and your lady's tastes. Do you like bushwalking, waterfalls and views? Towns and restaurants? Lakes and hydroelectricity plants? Old buildings and history of the convict era?

In My Blogs from 2006 you can see a summary of the highlights we saw. If anything appeals you are welcome to ask me more about it.

My daughter who once spent a year in Tasmania worked out a ten day tour to see highlights, but again, it all depends on what you like to see.

I cannot advise about what to expect in the weather in August so hope we have some Tasmanians reading, but I expect you will meet cold weather and even rain over much of the island.

However our brother and sister in law toured Tasmania last winter with just a tent. They struck some very wet weather and sodden campground, but also fine weather. My husband's brother is over 70 and s.i.l has mobility issues from a car accident. Overall they thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515513

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 07:23

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 07:23
The main thing not to miss is the Ferry back to Melbourne.

LOL

Could not help it.
AnswerID: 515518

Reply By: new boy - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:36

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:36
Boobook very real possibility as they will still be sight seeing at 5pm on the last day.
We went in Feb 2011 and again this year 8 weeks each time, just finished seeing most things this year we are planing on going back to veg out and take our time in 2015.So what to see Port Arthur ,all the east coast Coles bay ,Wineglass Bay,St Helens Cosy corner is awesome , Strahan, Sheffield Bruny Island,The nut ,Cradle Mountain,Levan canyon,Beaconsfield mine museum, Richmond, Ross,Campbell town Last but very much not least "The Wall".
You can free camp Tasmania and from your base do day trips as everything is close compared to the big island,and they do distances in time not kilometres ie, Hobart is 40 minutes away not 40 kls
Enjoy IMHO don,t rush just to see something plan another trip for latter to finish it.
AnswerID: 515528

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 13:35

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 13:35
G'day Ken
Hope that's 3 weeks down there. If so you'll see enough in that time.
We were down there last year in September and it was cold and windy and wet most of the time. But we still enjoyed it and saw heaps.
Don't worry about the retirees who can take all the time they want and stop to check out every nook and cranny - for someone on a limited timeframe the 3 weeks you have planned will be OK.
Go to the Tassie tourism site and you'll work out for yourself what you must see - depends on what you like doing. But here's a few:
If you're lucky like we were you'll cop a snow fall up in the highland lakes area.
Wall in the Wilderness - some people are just so skilled
Trowunna Wildlife Park is great if you want to see some critters and get an alternative view on the plight of Tassie Devils.
Cradle Mt walk (we struck a clear day - one of few).
Bruny Island - speed boat trip down the coast - wonderful experience
Boags Brewery Tour - even my missus enjoyed that and she's not big on beer
Just make sure you take plenty of warm and wet weather gear, otherwise I doubt you and your partner will enjoy it.
AnswerID: 515537

Reply By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:14

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:14
You'll enjoy the contrast between the European heritage of historical buildings and Towns, majestic natural landmarks and the dramatic coastline. But if you're lucky, you'll get to experience the quick change between hot sunny days and sudden cold wind and snow. Mt. Wellington's summit, a short drive from Hobart city centre, is a must if you want to witness the chill of a blizzard even in the middle of summer.

AnswerID: 515556

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 21:02
Montezuma falls is good short 4wd to a great waterfall
the book 4wd tracks of tassie is very helpfully
The wall is must see all carved in h/pine
The pub in the paddock is great place for lunch or dinner
Pancakes at elephant pass
It tassie so many things to see an do & all so close
Regards
AnswerID: 515627

Reply By: M&N's - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 20:31

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 20:31
If you find yourself on the east coast at St Helens the area is spectuliar with numerious free camping spots both north and south of this brillant town.The pick of these sites on the bay of fires would be swimcart beach with cosy corner worth a look as well.You will not be disappointed where ever you choise to go we spent eleven weeks there and did not see it all Safe and exciting travels Mick B
AnswerID: 515674

Sponsored Links