Northern NSW 4WD maps.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 20:13
ThreadID: 103492 Views:11692 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought my first 4WD and I am keen to do a few day trips / weekend trips. I have kept an eye out for resources. Considering the number of National Parks around Kempsey, Coffs, Grafton, Lismore I was surprised to see there are not more specific 4WD mid north or north coast trek maps or atlas resources about, or maybe I am just looking in the wrong place. Just an observation. I have seen one which covers the whole district but wanted detail. CMA maps have details but no info about track ratings.
Joining a local 4WD is on the cards, because you can't beat local knowledge, but interested if anyone could recommend a good resource.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 21:06
A couple of resources that I find handy:

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/stay
http://www.truecamping.com.au/

You can't beat Hema Maps for mobile devices like iPhones and iPads - relatively inexpensive as well. There are others like Mudmap as well - not much info about track ratings though. Quite a few of the 4wd magazines also have some handy resources on their web sites.

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 515677

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 21:08
Good luck!
I live up that way and have had an awful time trying to find the same thing!
We finally found a map a year or so ago at the newsagents in Lismore and hit the road. Most of the tracks around Murwillumbah are either
1. graded to the extent that my sedan could do them
2. locked (some due to 1080 baits)
3. leading into communes!
I don't know if Coffs or Grafton offer any easier access but you see Pat Callinan etc doing tracks and wonder how the heck they knew about them and where to find them for yourself!
Finding the maps took us ages-we tried the internet, map shops, tourist info, newsagents...
We've all but given up on our local area and come to the conclusion that the best and easiest 4WD tracks are a good day (or 2...or 3..) drive away.
Like you, I can't wait for the answer!!
AnswerID: 515678

Reply By: bluefella - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 07:53

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 07:53
Try the forestry commission, if it's still called that. they had maps to cover fire trails, access tracks etc?
AnswerID: 515691

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 09:00

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 09:00
Scroll down to NSW on this page. There may be one that interests you.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515695

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 19:25

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 19:25
Yep, no worries getting a map of NE NSW or even Grafton, Lismore, Coffs or Kempsey.
CMA publish some good maps that show the roads BUT it strikes me as strange that no one has a publication for 4WDs that covers various options and tracks for the area.

All the information I have got is from the local 4WD group or fellow motorists, tourist information or good old trial and error and see where it takes you. NPWS does have some details too but it is all a matter of researching. I would have thought that such a beautiful, rural and wild part of the country would have at least one area specific publication such as there is for Flinders Ranges, Snowys or Kimberleys. All good areas but so too is the Northern Rivers of NSW. And a huge diversity of terrain from beach to high country. Public back roads, National Park, State Forest. Beaches, wild rivers and snow in a day is possible.

On the flip side Maybe I should be glad the publications are scarce. It is nice to explore and discover camps and trails along the river where no one else is about.
AnswerID: 515729

Reply By: Member - Michael H25 - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:39

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:39
A couple of very nice places up that part of the world. Hat Head and Limeburners Nature Reserve came to mind.

Exit Pacific Highway of North side of Kemspey and head towards Hat Head NP. Plenty of tracks around, not too hard but some amazing places to see.

Crescent Head into Limeburners is also very good. Exit Pacific Highway on south side of Kempsey and head towards Crescent Head. You can head north along the coast and there are some tracks to explore. Tracks are not challenging but some nice places to visit. One track leads to beach (may need permit from memory). That will take the morning. You cannot easily get up to Hat head from here.

Head back to Town and then head south down along the coast into Limeburners. Some great places to explore here. Take a look at Google Maps, I uploaded plenty of pictures.

You will reach Queens Head (Headland just north of Hastings River). Now road ends and fire trail starts. The fire trail down to the Ferry at Hastings Rivers can be challenge in the wet. A few puddles are very deep (around 2 metres).

I am more interested in visiting nice places than hard 4x4 tracks. Google Maps is all you really need for these 2 trips. It is all I used.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515784

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:29

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:29
if it's nice places you want to visit Michael, then check out the book i've mentioned below. to give you an idea of some of one of the trips in there, below is a link to a trip report i did when we visited Dorrigo, one day we went for a drive listed in Kevs book and it was a great day out. Day 7 of our trip report is the day we did the drive on, but from Day 4 onwards pretty much covers our visit around those parts and some of the beautiful places we visited along the way. http://forum.themotleycrew.com.au/index.php?topic=865.0
FollowupID: 795093

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:23

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:23
just noticed my trip report hasn't direct linked, so you'll need to copy and paste what i put up there sorry.
FollowupID: 795099

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:20

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:20
if you drop into TJM at Coffs harbour, Kev Smith from there used to sell a book he wrote called Coffs Coast 4wd destinations. i'm not sure if he still sells it or what it costs (as i got mine given to me by him), but it's a great book full of interesting information about the area.
AnswerID: 515793

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:22

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:22
i should have mentioned also, you can check out some of his trips on his blog site to get good info about the area aswell http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au/ (no affiliation of Kevs at all, i just know of him via another forum)
FollowupID: 795092

Sponsored Links