Camps in "Places" ??

Last weekend, +1 and I went for a long weekend trip to Dorrigo.
As you'd expect, I checked out ExplorOz for potential caravan parks to stay at for a couple days while we did a bushwalk/photography excursion in the National Park.
As you'd NOT expect, I did not find a single Caravan Park listed there! What? Is the closest one Armidale?

In the end, we found (through another booking site - shameful, I know! but, hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!) the Dorrigo Mountain Resort & Caravan Park, located not 1 km from the turnoff to the Nat Park.
The entrance is located at -30.350522°S 152.716329°E and the proprietor (a helpful soul) is happy to have a chat, talk about the things to do, places to see around Dorrigo.

I note, also, that the Camps book does not mention this place, but it has been around for some time! We tried to book through Turu (at http:/turu.com.au) but got no response - on phoning, he has stopped his account there but they still had his link.

Trap for the unwary, that! You send the agency an email, get no response. Do you assume they are OK, or do you ring to check? Lucky we rang to check and he was OK. But, imagine turning up with intention of 3 nights stay to be told "sorry, all booked out for the week". That'd be a PITA!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:42

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:42
Hey jonat,
Can you please add this to the place system - jump into the page and click the Add New Place button - fill in the details and presto - it will be available for the next person to lookup.
Thanks.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515788

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:11

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:11
OK, done! Sorry, forgot about that feature (too many visits by Al Ziemer) ;^}
FollowupID: 795103

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:10

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:10
next time you go to Dorrigo there's a great place right next door to Dangar Falls to camp at, the guy comes around each afternoon to collect the fees, water and power available aswell, though it's not big and first in best dressed, no bookings. there's a house on the property there people can rent to stay in also (shower and toilets for campers are underneath it), the camp area is out the back of the house looking over the hillside below. we stayed there as it was cheaper then our family staying in the National Park each night, and we got power, showers and flushing toilets also...go figure NSW National Parks thinking on that.
below is our campsite there, and if your interested i can post a link up of the trip report i did on our visit around those parts.

AnswerID: 515790

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:40

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:40
rumpig,
It would be great if you could put the link up of that trip, We are looking at doing a trip around that area.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 795094

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:15

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:15
here you go Dave..... http://forum.themotleycrew.com.au/index.php?topic=865.0 .... ignore the first few days of the report, but from Day 4 onwards it will be of interest to you IMHO. we only scratched the surface of what's about the area to look at, you'd need months to look at all of what's around there, and even then you still wouldn't see it all in that time frame i'd doubt.
FollowupID: 795096

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:17

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:17
have a look in this thread also http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/103492/Northern_NSW_4WD_maps.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fpn%3d1 , there's some more info in this thread and i posted another link in a reply here you may be interested in aswell
cheers
FollowupID: 795097

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:21

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:21
just noticed my trip report hasn't direct linked, so you'll need to copy and paste what i put up there sorry.
FollowupID: 795098

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:26

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:26
That's a great trip report, It has given me some good ideas to check out.
Thanks Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 795123

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:32

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:32
Your last paragraph is a direct result of a rude society these of days that do not always respond to emails, even if to say a simple "Thanks". Just because it was sent doesn't mean that it was received. I always without loss check by phone. Email or not. So many don't read past the first line.

Lots of steam train history in the area.

Very true Johno.

Phil
AnswerID: 515798

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:49

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:49
Not sure it was a result of rudeness, the booking place still accepted the email as if they could do a booking, but didn't have him still as a client, - Suppose that's rude, to take the email and not advise that they no longer act as agent.
Lesson learned, no email in a day or three (not everyone is anal about checking emails 3 or 4 times daily!) ring to check.
I cannot fathom some businesses, though! With a website, and a "contact us" email link, but never bother to read emails - do they think the emails miraculously appear in the post, or something?
FollowupID: 795101

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:31

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:31
We also request a read receipt and get very few uin return. Another example of what I consider as rude.

I wasn't saying that the caravan park is rude.

It's just like habits watched on that trashy Facebook. People rarely acknowledge what others say. Even a Like would be fine.

But that isn't the topic.

Yep Lesson learn't.

catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 795104

Sponsored Links