gawler ranges SA

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 08:46
ThreadID: 103557 Views:1801 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Gooday All . looking for suggestions for an up and coming trip into the Gawler ranges conservation park area in September for a few days (depending on suggestions) , ie station stay , camping grounds , things to visit & do , 4wd trek , etc
we will be staying over night at Wudinna with my mates cobba ,so our trip will be in that area " southern ranges " then we will be going on to Streaky for a bit of fishing ....thanks
TTUL

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 11:15

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 11:15
Hi Nick, you can't go past a stay at Mt Ive Station and do the drive to the shores of Lake Gairdner. See this blog: http://www.exploroz.com/Members/136941.500/10/2012/Gawler_Ranges_Grandeur_Sept_2012.aspx
Cheers... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 515884

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 13:10

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 13:10
Agree wholeheartedly!

FollowupID: 795169

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 16:02

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 16:02
Yep,

Mt Ives Station is a great location for camping.
Don't forget though to "feed the Donkey!"

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795177

Follow Up By: setsujoku - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:19

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:19
Actually you are asked not to feed the donkey here! The staff maintain it and keep it going as needed.
FollowupID: 795199

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:38

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:38
Well the situation has changed in the last 12 months or so since we were there.

The "feed the donkey" was previously promoted on the Mount Ives web site, but following your reply, I checked the site and it's no longer mentioned.

When we were camped there, the shearer's accommodation was booked out by a Government sponsored conference for Eyre Peninsula based Organisations.
At this time, the staff were checking the fire under the "donkey" a couple of times a day and adding a log if required, but there was also a sign requesting people to "feed the donkey" to ensure a supply of hot water for the showers, etc.

No big deal, but the novelty added character to the place.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795203

Follow Up By: setsujoku - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:39

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:39
Hmm Interesting that it is only a recent thing then. We were there in April, for the first time, so assumed that it was always the case!
FollowupID: 795204

Reply By: Triggy - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 18:29

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 18:29
I too can recommend Mt Ive. Ended up staying 2 nights at 2 separate spots swagging it on their various station tracks. Good tracks and plenty of goats, emus and roos strolling around . Went to Lake Gairdener as part of the package. A great spot and I will go back.
On the same trip I also spent a night in the Gawler Rangers National Pk,( which is your original intent) which used to be a sheep station. There are a few great camping spots in there. Highly recommend it and it is a bit closer to Wuddina than Mt Ives. I assume you will going via the Buckleboo Stock Route to get to the Gawler Ranges NP? What a great 40KM drive that is. This area is a great part of SA and a region that I will be visiting again.
AnswerID: 515905

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:02

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:02
Haven't been to Mt Ive or the Gawler Ranges yet myself, but have planned a trip sometime . . . maybe go in at the very southern boundary, the old mines area, up past Mt Sturt, Sturts Track I believe, and comes out on the Old Paney Scenic Route.

Planned to do a lot of looking around, camp Konodo Hill.

Maybe others that have done that route / camp can let us all know if it's all ok and worth it.
AnswerID: 515908

Reply By: setsujoku - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:30

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:30
Mt Ives is a great place to base yourself, though there are a lot of camp grounds through out the park that are basic, but spacious for some proper no facilities camping.

One place that we discovered on our way in from Minnipa was Tcharkuldu, which is a great place to camp. There are a few fire pits, and more than enough space for camping. It's about 4km north of the highway, which makes it a good stop over if you are short on time getting in our out of the southern end of the park.

It is well worth visiting the Organ pipes, Old Paney Homestead, and the nearby views from up top.
If you stop at Mt Ives station then it is worth taking 45 minutes out of the day to drive to the top and take in the views.
If you go out to the lake from Mt Ives then make sure you take the time to do the little side trips as well, as they are worth the time, and are only a short distance off the track. Getting out to the lake from the station doesn't take long, and the track was in good condition when we were there in April.
AnswerID: 515921

Follow Up By: setsujoku - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:31
Our only grumble from staying at the station was the random hours that the generator kicked in and made a noise right across the camp grounds!
FollowupID: 795202

Reply By: Leanne M - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 21:37

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 21:37
Hi Nick

As others have mentioned, Mt Ive Station offers good camping facilities and interesting 4wd tracks on their property, Lake Gairdner is a must see.

In the park itself we stayed for 2 nights at Kolay Hut, very pretty spot with pit toilets and a donkey shower. Old Paney Station is worth a look, also any of the tracks in the park itself are picturesque, with ever changing scenery. Kolay Mirica Falls are pretty, make sure you get out the vehicle and walk up the rocky slope to the top for a nice surprise.

All the different "organ pipe" formations are interesting, there are several in the area. There is lots to see in the area, there are a couple of magnificent dam walls over 100 years old all made by hand with rocks.

Mt Ive sells diesel,ulp and basic supplies. Enjoy your visit, it's a very nice area.

Leanne
AnswerID: 515924

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 07:45

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 07:45
Don't forget to check out mt wudinna and turtle rock while you are there.
Spent many a family afternoon there as thats where I grew up
AnswerID: 515932

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 07:47

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 07:47
From there head north from pygery oadt the old rpf and mt allalone
FollowupID: 795220

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 10:31

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 10:31
If you haven't already done so grab a copy of the RAA members map for that area , very detailed and from memory all the campsites are shown

Grab the brochure from here
Gawler Ranges park guide

has map with camping spots

AnswerID: 515939

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 19:34

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 19:34
G'day Nick,

Pildappa rock is really worth a look. Its like a mini version of "wave rock" in WA. Easiest to access it by driving along the Hwy to Minnipa if you're staying at Wudinna. There are basic camping facilities there, but if you're staying in Wudinna its a very easy day trip there & back. You can access the park from Minnipa to view the organ pipes too & its still a very easy day's outing. Well worth the effort IMO.

When entering the park from Wudinna; Polda Rock, Parsons Rocks & Turtle Rocks & Mount Wudinna are all worth a look! (in fact, all of "the granites" are worth a look :=) Tourism SA put out a pretty good pamphlet on the area, with a map & heaps of info if you can get hold of it.

Just watch out for those jolly big black biting flies lol!

Cheers,

Kevin.

AnswerID: 515966

Reply By: Member - nick b - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:34

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:34
Thanks everyone for some great feed back ........you'v got me very excited !!!
I was thinking there was not to much to see .....
might have to extend the stay :-)

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 515973

Sponsored Links