McKillops rd/tck

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 14:21
ThreadID: 103560 Views:1597 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know what the road/ track from Delegate Vic is like. I know that the delegate rd itself is not bad according to a friend, but have never turned off to the west onto McKillops rd/trk to west, coming out at Brumby ( the Barry Way i think). Any advice would be good as the cook and I are western district people and our biggest hill is 30mts back home. We were going to travel to Cann River from Bombala and back home along the highway but thought the alternate route we chose and come out to Bairnsdale might be good instead . We don't know the area but do have good maps.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 15:57

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 15:57
The road from the Bonang Highway s a good gravel road as far as the McKillops bridge. It then narrows as it climbs away from the Snowy River. It is so narrow that there are passing sections periodically along it. Here is a bit of the not so narrow bit. You can see the way it is cut into the side of the hill.

If you take things carefully it's an interesting drive. Just don't proceed from a passing section when there is someone coming between you and the next one.

There is a bit of camping on the western side of the bridge. It is well worth the adventure, I don't have much of a head for heights but I cope OK and enjoy the journey once I finish it.

There is a waterfall on a very short track near the top of the hill before you get to the Geantipy Rd that is a nice spot and as you go south along the Gelantipy Rd another good deviation is to Seldom Seen (the green arrow.)

Enjoy your trip
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515892

Follow Up By: 489 - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:22

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:22
thanks for the info. just viewed it on google and looks good. Will follow up at the campsite just out of Brumby as we have a roof-top tent. Can you also advse whether you can camp at or near McKillops bridge. I'm an amateur photographer and look for interesting place or things when travelling to see my son at Batemans Bay nsw. Also trying to find alternate routes apart from the highways
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795221

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:44

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:44
Peter

You will be fine. There is also a parking area at least on the eastern side of the bridge where you can get down under it. My Hema map shows camping not far from it back at Deddick. I have a feeling that there is camping at the bridge on both sides but wont put my left watsit on it. You can always back track if there isn't. Its a couple of years since we went through there.

Phil

FollowupID: 795223

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 15:13

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 15:13
The co-ords for Camps Auatralia Wide V-11 are at the green arrow. There is some picnic grounds on the eastern side of the bridge. I'm not sure if you will find a suitable piece of flat ground to use a car top camper.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795231

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:00

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:00
Greetings, I worked in this area back in the 1980/1990's and agree with the comments about the roads. Not sure if it's still open but the track down to Little River/Snowy River junction a few km on the Gelantipy side of McKillops Bridge is well worth a look. Great camping if it's still allowed.
Regards, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515951

Sponsored Links